Travel

Any advice for best exchange rates in Hong Kong?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2016 6:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 1, 2012
20 posts
3 upvotes

Any advice for best exchange rates in Hong Kong?

I have seen old threads that said the airport has decent rates, but what about larger amounts like $3,000 or $4,000? Can the local banks or the forex shops do better?

Thank you in advance.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
chung king mansions. no joke. better for US$, however. or cash machine if you have an HSBC card. its a decent rate.
Left rfd
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1338 upvotes
Moncton
I didn't see anything to buy in Hong Kong that was cheaper than in Canada or online. Keep in mind the Hong Kong dollar exchange rate is artificially pegged to the US dollar, a serious disadvantage to Canadians in these low oil days.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
I'd go to the forex shop.I've always found the rates better than in the banks.
Mar 11, 2012
293 posts
76 upvotes
Go to HK and withdraw with debit. That was on par with the stores itself.

Everything else Amazon visa or Rogers MasterCard
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4628 posts
333 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote: I didn't see anything to buy in Hong Kong that was cheaper than in Canada or online. Keep in mind the Hong Kong dollar exchange rate is artificially pegged to the US dollar, a serious disadvantage to Canadians in these low oil days.
Yes, this is one thing to keep in mind. Regardless of where you end up saving re: exchange we will still be royally screwed with our weaker dollar right now in HK.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2012
20 posts
3 upvotes
Thank you all for your advice. I was hoping that the larger amount exchanged can be more cost effective. Will figure it out once I get there.
Oct 24, 2009
899 posts
895 upvotes
Vancouver
rmlobu wrote: Thank you all for your advice. I was hoping that the larger amount exchanged can be more cost effective. Will figure it out once I get there.
Most of the expats and many locals use Berlin Exchange in Central. Rates are here: http://bcel1985.blogspot.ca/
17/F, The Chinese Bank Building, 61-65 Des Voeux Road Central

If you have a large amount, call ahead at +852 2523 3403. DO NOT GO AT LUNCH TIME as there will be a huge line up. Their rates are the best and people know that.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2012
20 posts
3 upvotes
Wow, thank you Absolutcamper. I had a quick look and Berlin Exchange's rates look much better than anyone else I have seen so far. I will be sure to stop by (not at lunch time as you have suggested).