Careers

Any advice from people who graduated during a recession?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2022 10:15 am
Jun 15, 2020
395 posts
540 upvotes
Ontario

Any advice from people who graduated during a recession?

I graduate in 2024, and though I don't want to turn this into an economic debate, it isn't unlikely that I'll be graduating during a recession or economic downturn of some sort. Trying to predict it is useless, but I was still wondering if anybody here had any advice about anything I can do to help me out in case I do end up graduate during "bad times"?

In particular, I'm graduating with a bachelor's degree in a tech field, and will probably looking for SWE positions (UWaterloo).
Last edited by MrBear2019 on May 7th, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
MrBear2019 wrote: I graduated in 2024, and though I don't want to turn this into an economic debate, it isn't unlikely that I'll be graduating during a recession or economic downturn of some sort. Trying to predict it is useless, but I was still wondering if anybody here had any advice about anything I can do to help me out in case I do end up graduate during "bad times"?

In particular, I'm graduating with a bachelor's degree in a tech field, and will probably looking for SWE positions (UWaterloo).
1. Get work experience via coop or summer jobs before you graduate.
2. Work on your own projects which you can showcase to potential employers.
3. Network! If you find a summer or coop gig network with everyone at the company. Attend industry meet ups or events to network. Network with your own classmates.

These three things will put you ahead of your pears upon graduation and help you secure a full time gig.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
ProductGuy wrote: 1. Get work experience via coop or summer jobs before you graduate.
2. Work on your own projects which you can showcase to potential employers.
3. Network! If you find a summer or coop gig network with everyone at the company. Attend industry meet ups or events to network. Network with your own classmates.

These three things will put you ahead of your pears upon graduation and help you secure a full time gig.
Close thread.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Close thread.
He or she can also ask for jobs on RFDs. A lot of us old farts in here are actually managers and directors lol.
Sep 28, 2003
900 posts
529 upvotes
Pretty much do co-op to get experience. I graduated during a recession and had a job lined up at the start of my graduating year. That offer came from a co-op placement. Many others in my class had the same thing.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
I rarely see this. But make genuine friends in your classes. They may be the one giving you referrals to a company they got in to.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)