Home & Garden

Any basement renovation contractor with in-depth knowledge in home theater?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 12:23 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
684 posts
73 upvotes

Any basement renovation contractor with in-depth knowledge in home theater?

I need to finish my un-finished basement, and I would like to have a home theater.
I've been doing some research on basement reno companies, I'm hoping the contractor to recommend me on the design, the setup, equipments. I have some equipments like 7.1 speakers, old receiver, etc, but I would like to do a bunch of other things like having atmos, networked with cat6, and a rack, etc.
The issue I'm seeing is that I'm questioning whether most of these renovation companies do not have an in-depth knowledge of home theatre. On the flipside, I can find plenty of companies that specialize in home theater set-up, but do not do full renovation...
I want not only home theater and basement renovation to be one project, but also have the best and affordable set up for both living spaces as well as a home theater (layout/design/equipment). Are there any companies that do both?

would appreciate any recomendation!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5048 upvotes
Paris
chinmoku_tak wrote: I need to finish my un-finished basement, and I would like to have a home theater.
I've been doing some research on basement reno companies, I'm hoping the contractor to recommend me on the design, the setup, equipments. I have some equipments like 7.1 speakers, old receiver, etc, but I would like to do a bunch of other things like having atmos, networked with cat6, and a rack, etc.
The issue I'm seeing is that I'm questioning whether most of these renovation companies do not have an in-depth knowledge of home theatre. On the flipside, I can find plenty of companies that specialize in home theater set-up, but do not do full renovation...
I want not only home theater and basement renovation to be one project, but also have the best and affordable set up for both living spaces as well as a home theater (layout/design/equipment). Are there any companies that do both?

would appreciate any recomendation!
You will need a contractor for the basement, and another to design the home theatre. Unlikely to find both in one.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
684 posts
73 upvotes
Jerico wrote: You will need a contractor for the basement, and another to design the home theatre. Unlikely to find both in one.
So how would it work if I need recomendations like size of the room, leveling or whether I go with open /closed concept? Wouldn't someone have to design the entire basement??
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15491 posts
12693 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jerico wrote: You will need a contractor for the basement, and another to design the home theatre. Unlikely to find both in one.
This.

Basement finishing, is like any other home Reno project.

BUT, the theatre set up is what makes it specialized.

So start there... look for a store that specializes in Home Theatres Installation. Go talk to them.
Ask them what they consider to be an ideal set up (as if they were doing an installation in an already finished basement)

Explain you are starting from scratch, and want to get it right from the get go
Maximize the end experience for the Theatre ... screen, seating, sound etc

Find out from them what they figure is best for layout, soundproofing etc

Take notes.

Then when you get the basement built it will be the best set up for the space / room

Your RFD Profile doesn’t say where in Canada you are (really should update that) as that it makes it easier to make relative recommendations of companies

But, a good place to start is to maybe look at the Hospital Lottery Houses ... they often have these types of companies doing installation of all the homes electronics etc ... Home Theatre, Full Home Automation, Security, Audio / Video etc (find the local Home Lottery Website, and look thru the list of suppliers). These types of folks are quite used to a build from scratch situation

Example ... I am in Eastern Ontario, and far and away the number one company in the industry here is Audio Shop = https://audioshop.on.ca/
They are the go to Co for the CHEO Dream Homes & Ottawa Hospital Lottery Houses
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5048 upvotes
Paris
chinmoku_tak wrote: So how would it work if I need recomendations like size of the room, leveling or whether I go with open /closed concept? Wouldn't someone have to design the entire basement??
Yes. Someone needs to design the entire basement. Then someone needs to build it. 99.9% of the time those are two different companies.

You need a home theatre architect and a basement renovation company.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
684 posts
73 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: This.

Basement finishing, is like any other home Reno project.

BUT, the theatre set up is what makes it specialized.

So start there... look for a store that specializes in Home Theatres Installation. Go talk to them.
Ask them what they consider to be an ideal set up (as if they were doing an installation in an already finished basement)

Explain you are starting from scratch, and want to get it right from the get go
Maximize the end experience for the Theatre ... screen, seating, sound etc

Find out from them what they figure is best for layout, soundproofing etc

Take notes.

Then when you get the basement built it will be the best set up for the space / room

Your RFD Profile doesn’t say where in Canada you are (really should update that) as that it makes it easier to make relative recommendations of companies

But, a good place to start is to maybe look at the Hospital Lottery Houses ... they often have these types of companies doing installation of all the homes electronics etc ... Home Theatre, Full Home Automation, Security, Audio / Video etc (find the local Home Lottery Website, and look thru the list of suppliers). These types of folks are quite used to a build from scratch situation

Example ... I am in Eastern Ontario, and far and away the number one company in the industry here is Audio Shop = https://audioshop.on.ca/
They are the go to Co for the CHEO Dream Homes & Ottawa Hospital Lottery Houses
good point, even if I don't need new equipments at this moment, if I wanted to do Atmos, I would need new receiver and ceiling speakers. I will pick their brain.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
684 posts
73 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Yes. Someone needs to design the entire basement. Then someone needs to build it. 99.9% of the time those are two different companies.

You need a home theatre architect and a basement renovation company.
that's where I'm getting confused though, I don't want this home theater to be a separate component of basement, I want it to be integral part of the basement.
I don't know if this means having an open concept home theater (to that I need to figure out how to resolve acoustics), or just bigger home theater with space for kids to play in.
I'm assuming home theater architect wouldn't "care" about the rest of basement right? who could design end to end?? Or will it have to be separate process?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5048 upvotes
Paris
chinmoku_tak wrote: that's where I'm getting confused though, I don't want this home theater to be a separate component of basement, I want it to be integral part of the basement.
I don't know if this means having an open concept home theater (to that I need to figure out how to resolve acoustics), or just bigger home theater with space for kids to play in.
I'm assuming home theater architect wouldn't "care" about the rest of basement right? who could design end to end?? Or will it have to be separate process?
Presumably the home theatre designer is an all around architect and could design to your needs for the whole basement. None of this will be cheap though. Even people I know who DIYed home theatre it was lots more. Channels for drywall, sound absorption... it adds up fast in just materials.