Computers & Electronics

Any cheap domain promos ongoing for .ca domains?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2021 3:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1002 posts
346 upvotes

Any cheap domain promos ongoing for .ca domains?

Looking to register a .ca domain and wondering if any one-year promos, etc. are ongoing. The ones I see are for domains like .site, etc.

Related to this, what are the important features to get? A few web pages suggest getting privacy protection.
7 replies
Dec 6, 2020
493 posts
469 upvotes
For domain registration alone, the lowest registration price for .ca domains that I've seen is $10.99 per year from Canspace. The price is low enough that I've never bothered looking for discounts. I'd be surprised if anyone ever discounts this given that the wholesale price charged by CIRA is (IIRC) $10.

For registration and hosting, you might find a hosting provider that offers free domain registration as part of a longer-term hosting contract. These offers are inordinately risky and should be avoided. Hosting companies go bankrupt on a regular basis; you will have a major headache to keep your domain if your domain registration is tied to a company that goes under. Even if the hosting company stays in business, there's no assurances that their quality of service will remain adequate over the long term. It's best to separate domain registration and hosting so you can switch hosts when your current host goes under or gets bought out and turns into a bottom feeder.

If you're registering a personal .ca domain, WHOIS privacy protection is not necessary as CIRA withholds contact details for all domains registered to individuals.

There are very few legitimate reasons for business/organizational domains to use privacy protection services.

Do you have a clear purpose in mind for your domain? I might be able to give you more guidance if you have some particular use (email, personal web hosting, business use, etc) in mind.
Feb 9, 2008
276 posts
216 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm using namesilo for mine. 8.99 USD for registration and renewal.
They've been pretty good.
As far as I'm aware, they're not involved in scandals and scummy tactics like selling your domain away to some corp, falling to social engineering, etc. like some other big registrars that I've moved away from.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1299 posts
1295 upvotes
Markham, ON
Here's a trick.
  • Go to http://whois.cira.ca and search for the domain name you want to register
  • Assuming it's available to register, you will see a bunch of ads below from various cira accredited registrars.
  • Click on each one and see what the cheapest promotion is. I've see as little $0.50/yr for the first year.
  • Once you register for $0.50 - $1 for first year, you can transfer to another registrar like 10dollar.ca, namespro or namesilo that may be cheaper on a per year basis after year 2.
Cheapest appears to be WHC.ca ($0.88/yr) at the moment with promo code
CA88DECcira
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1002 posts
346 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: For domain registration alone, the lowest registration price for .ca domains that I've seen is $10.99 per year from Canspace. The price is low enough that I've never bothered looking for discounts. I'd be surprised if anyone ever discounts this given that the wholesale price charged by CIRA is (IIRC) $10.

For registration and hosting, you might find a hosting provider that offers free domain registration as part of a longer-term hosting contract. These offers are inordinately risky and should be avoided. Hosting companies go bankrupt on a regular basis; you will have a major headache to keep your domain if your domain registration is tied to a company that goes under. Even if the hosting company stays in business, there's no assurances that their quality of service will remain adequate over the long term. It's best to separate domain registration and hosting so you can switch hosts when your current host goes under or gets bought out and turns into a bottom feeder.

If you're registering a personal .ca domain, WHOIS privacy protection is not necessary as CIRA withholds contact details for all domains registered to individuals.

There are very few legitimate reasons for business/organizational domains to use privacy protection services.

Do you have a clear purpose in mind for your domain? I might be able to give you more guidance if you have some particular use (email, personal web hosting, business use, etc) in mind.
Thank you!!! It is a website for a small business. The whole website will be a static webpage so I am using GitHub pages for hosting. I'm also looking for a nice website builder (i.e. one that I can use to visually/graphically build the web page and then just export all of the html, css and javascript and upload onto GiHub Pages). The website only needs basic info about the website and a contact form
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1002 posts
346 upvotes
mrtin905 wrote: Here's a trick.
  • Go to http://whois.cira.ca and search for the domain name you want to register
  • Assuming it's available to register, you will see a bunch of ads below from various cira accredited registrars.
  • Click on each one and see what the cheapest promotion is. I've see as little $0.50/yr for the first year.
  • Once you register for $0.50 - $1 for first year, you can transfer to another registrar like 10dollar.ca, namespro or namesilo that may be cheaper on a per year basis after year 2.
CA88DECcira
Thank you!!! Once @middleofnowhere chimes in with any additional advice, I will go with this route.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1299 posts
1295 upvotes
Markham, ON
https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1840274

For email, web hosting check out crocweb. Their servers are in Montreal and it's not oversold like the big names.

There's an 80% off discount code on the first invoice.

I have used it for my wife's business website for several years without any issues.

I also host several pet projects on their as well.

I was using buyshared.net in the past for pet projects, but they stop selling shared hosting to new customers.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1002 posts
346 upvotes
mrtin905 wrote: Here's a trick.
CA88DECcira
Thanks. Went with doteasy. It was 77 cents for the first year and $15 per year afterward. Cheapest start-up and they weren't trying to trick me into a $50 per month renewal. Had the option to turn off auto-renewal.