Computers & Electronics

Any dashcams that don't need so many cables?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 2:56 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17904 posts
886 upvotes

Any dashcams that don't need so many cables?

I want to get my wife a dashcam for her car but she doesn't want a bunch of cables in her brand new vehicle.

Any possibilities that you know of? I assume it would need battery or something?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4917 posts
1948 upvotes
If it's a front only dash cam, it's usually just the power cable. Have seen people tap power from the powered rear view mirror ( with the correct converters). Or tap power internally else where and then you can hide the wire in the trims. Sure there are professional installers that can make it as seamless as possible.

Haven't come across any dash cams that uses only removable battery/ truly wireless.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29043 posts
14590 upvotes
You can run the cables behind the pillars.
Source: Running my cables behind the pillars. Only a couple peek out from behind the headliner.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
If your wife doesn't want any cables tell her no worries. She just has to pay someone to do a professional install.... Tell you found a person who will do for cash. Take a 150.00 bucks from her, go to an empty parking lot and hide the one wire it will take to run the camera. Under the dash up along the A pillar and under the headliner yourself. So easy to do after watching exactly how to do it for her vehicle on Youtube. (Tools required I typically use a dollar store plastic paint scrapper...)

Bring the car back enjoy spending her money on yourself LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8565 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
Super strokey wrote: I want to get my wife a dashcam for her car but she doesn't want a bunch of cables in her brand new vehicle.

Any possibilities that you know of? I assume it would need battery or something?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9252 posts
1631 upvotes
TO
Super strokey wrote: I want to get my wife a dashcam for her car but she doesn't want a bunch of cables in her brand new vehicle.

which dash cam are you getting for her car?
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6252 posts
2889 upvotes
Durham

Buy a longer USB able and then hide it by going behind the glove compartment and up the A pillar and across the top of the windshield and use a flathead to push it inside the top of the roof and back out by the rear view mirror.

Simple.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
Gee wrote: He is buying her the dash cam.

Her money is her money
His money is her money
I am thinking the attempt at satire was lost on you...