• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2021 11:42 am
[OP]
Aug 6, 2003
183 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary

Any deals on desktop for home?

Looking for a new desktop for personal use, mainly used for browsing, emails, you tube, excel etc. no gaming at all.

My budget is about $1000-$1200 but can go higher if it's worth it. Also on any suggestions, what about warranties, or extended warranties, should I get any and/or are they worth it?

Would like SSD, 1TB, and 8gb of ram, other than that don't know if there is anything else I should be looking for as far as specs (graphic card). Was looking at the dell website below, any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/category/d ... pired=true
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2320 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have any suggestions but are you starting out with nothing?

1) Like, do you need a monitor too?
2) Can you take a 1TB drive from another computer to use as storage?
3) How about a keyboard and mouse (Dell will usually give you a keyboard and mouse but just asking just in case somebody has a suggestion that doesn't have either)?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3762 posts
996 upvotes
For your usage basically any modern machine with a i3/Ryzen 3 or better, with 8mb ram, 250gb SSD for OS is enough and any additional storage you want. Should be able to snag one for sub $1000 for sure. Might reach $1000 if you need a monitor. As long as you stay away from the Celerons/Pentium silver/gold/ Athlons I think it'll be ok.

Since you said no gaming at all, video card does not really matter. Although if you " Etc" includes video editing/encoding/decoding then maybe you should look into a video card.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2003
183 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
ds2chan wrote: I don't have any suggestions but are you starting out with nothing?

1) Like, do you need a monitor too?
2) Can you take a 1TB drive from another computer to use as storage?
3) How about a keyboard and mouse (Dell will usually give you a keyboard and mouse but just asking just in case somebody has a suggestion that doesn't have either)?
Sorry I'm upgrading my current desktop (meaning it's on it's last legs and old lol), I have monitor, keyboard, mouse. No I don't have any hardware I can use from the previous desktop
Dec 6, 2020
280 posts
255 upvotes
pritz wrote: Looking for a new desktop for personal use, mainly used for browsing, emails, you tube, excel etc. no gaming at all.
You don't need a very powerful system for this. An i3 or Ryzen 3 will be good enough. You may be hard pressed to find a system with 1TB of SSD storage for under $1000 (1TB SSDs are expensive) but you can certainly get a good quality system with a smaller SDD and then install a larger HDD for file storage.

Lenovo has some cost-effective ThinkCentre M720e SFF configurations if you're OK with installing your own 1TB HDD for storage.

The standard warranty for Lenovo business market products is three years.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1368 posts
1893 upvotes
No need to spend anything close to 1K for simple web browsing etc. I would look for something used or refurb'd. I would think you could do it for well under $500 , then you can get yourself a nice monitor. Really an SSD isn't going to be that useful except to speed up boot times. Like someone else has suggested maybe go for a 500GB SSD for the boot drive and a larger mechanical drive for storage.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1368 posts
1893 upvotes
pritz wrote: Considering a refurbished one based on the feedback, anything here seem decent?

https://dbcscomputer.ca/product-categor ... t_count=36
I would suggest getting something that has an HDMI output, that way you can get yourself a more modern monitor that you could use in case you wanted to upgrade your system at some time in the future. Other than that, do you need wifi? Can you install an extra stick of ram or drive if necessary? Is a small form factor or tiny computer something that you're interested in? If aesthetics or space is an issue maybe consider a NUC or similar that you could simply mount on the back of your monitor.
Sep 13, 2011
964 posts
621 upvotes
Québec
6060842 wrote: I would suggest getting something that has an HDMI output, that way you can get yourself a more modern monitor that you could use in case you wanted to upgrade your system at some time in the future. Other than that, do you need wifi? Can you install an extra stick of ram or drive if necessary? Is a small form factor or tiny computer something that you're interested in? If aesthetics or space is an issue maybe consider a NUC or similar that you could simply mount on the back of your monitor.
DVI is ok too, DVI and HDMI are the same signals except the sound.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2003
183 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
6060842 wrote: I would suggest getting something that has an HDMI output, that way you can get yourself a more modern monitor that you could use in case you wanted to upgrade your system at some time in the future. Other than that, do you need wifi? Can you install an extra stick of ram or drive if necessary? Is a small form factor or tiny computer something that you're interested in? If aesthetics or space is an issue maybe consider a NUC or similar that you could simply mount on the back of your monitor.
Not interested in a small form factor or tiny computer. Yes I do need wifi, I can install an extra stick of ram or drive if necessary. Definitely want HDMI ports :) Hoping to give some support to that business on the link I sent, if there is something that's newer and a good deal, please let me know..appreciate your time.

p.s my current desktop is on it's last legs lol, the drive seems to be working real hard lately so I need something sooner than later
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1368 posts
1893 upvotes
Maybe you can just give them a call and tell them what you want/need and ask them to recommend something. Other than HDMI I would also recommend some USB 3 compatibility too. You should be able to get what you're looking for in the sub $300 range. Oh, And I assume you're looking for a Windows box so make sure that's included too.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1129 posts
529 upvotes
Those Haswell Dell Optiplex floating around 200$ on Kijiji are a great deal.

If you don't need to game, and even the uSSF models are fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2017
1269 posts
145 upvotes
If getting a refurbished computer, get min 4th gen i5 (ideally 6th gen i5) or better with 8GB ram and SSD.

New option (I prefer server grade as it tends to be more reliable):

Dell T40 Tower CAD $559.00
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/se ... _t40_13548
Intel® Xeon® E-2224G 3.5GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T, turbo (71W), 8GB ECC ram, 1TB HDD, DVD writer. No OS.

Cons: Ram is ECC so if you need more then 8GB it is expensive to buy a matching stick. Would need an SSD (only supports 2.5" SSD) and potentially use your current windows license on the new machine.

Review:
https://www.servethehome.com/dell-emc-p ... ap-server/
Last edited by teamocil on Feb 4th, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3762 posts
996 upvotes
If you're going refurbished route... dont spend more than $500. Look for one that has at least 2nd generation i5. Do not go for Core2duo/quads... those are pretty much useless nowadays. Since you don't want SFF or small pc... the first one i saw when i sorted via price is..... https://dbcscomputer.ca/product/warehou ... 7-pro-coa/

claims to have a i7 4770, 4gb ram. no Hard drive. Just add another stick of ram in there and a minimum 250gb SSD and you'll be fine. Tower size gives you a little room to add a low/mid video card too if u need the ports or performance. The display port is not that bad.. can always get a DP to Hdmi adapter if you need hdmi. The Windows 7 key that comes with it should allow you to install windows 10, so " free" OS too.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5562 posts
2148 upvotes
Debtario
That's a huge budget, any computer from the last decade could comfortably do what you just described.

COVID pricing is in full swing, even ancient hardware is going for inflated rates.

I was about to suggest the Lenovo M75q tiny, Its perfect if you have zero intention of gaming, more than enough to handle daily tasks. and takes up almost no space. lenovo-canada-lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-t ... 0-2438949/

Unfortunately you missed out the black friday Dell Precision 3440 deal for $260, that would have been maximum value for your dollar.
Last edited by M1K3Z0R on Feb 4th, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
18928 posts
6829 upvotes
Socially Distanced
If you are able to build yourself you can use this as a guide. Or you can pay to assemble.
https://www.logicalincrements.com/
You can nuke the graphics card if the motherboard has onboard graphics. Also the case can often be substituted for a lower cost one.
I'd go with the good tier and skip the graphics card (motherboard appears to have HDMI out). I'd use the stock fan but many will recommend using a fancier one like the tier suggests.

What i did for this computer was decide on components then bought them from Canada Computers. They offer assembly, i forget how much since i've never used it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5871 posts
1251 upvotes
Montreal
I would hesitate to buy a refurb as you risk not being able to upgrade your Windows 10 to a new version because of a bios or other issue that causes it to fail. I currently run an older i5-2300 desktop that works great but has not been able to upgrade its Windows version since November 2019. I'm stuck on 1607.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9488 posts
1814 upvotes
Toronto
This is not bad for the price.

https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/7fw5

$549 for i5, 12gig ram, 1 TB HD non ssd plus dell warranty and support for a year.

You should be able to switch out the hard drive for a smaller ssd and keep the 1 gig for storage.