Computers & Electronics

Any Decent Internet Security on Sale right now or Boxing day???

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2019 12:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2005
5815 posts
227 upvotes
GTA

Any Decent Internet Security on Sale right now or Boxing day???

My ESET IS is going to expire soon and I can't seem to find anything on the web for a decent price. I used to faithfully get a hold of Kaspersky every boxing day from Future Shop/Bestbuy but switched over to ESET last year. This year I don't seem to find any sales!!!! Pls help or advise.. Anything with upto 5 users will be good.
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
13 replies
Member
May 29, 2004
443 posts
97 upvotes
sunnybono wrote: My ESET IS is going to expire soon and I can't seem to find anything on the web for a decent price. I used to faithfully get a hold of Kaspersky every boxing day from Future Shop/Bestbuy but switched over to ESET last year. This year I don't seem to find any sales!!!! Pls help or advise.. Anything with upto 5 users will be good.
You check Staples? Staples has more on sale on Internet Security than Bestbuy base on my past purchases of Kaspersky. I also tends to buy two to avoid this situation. By the way, what make you switch to ESET from Kaspersky? I find Kaspersky is starting to get annoying. Like installing VPN without your consent or installing/enable their password manager.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 3, 2004
825 posts
159 upvotes
MTL
Timely thread. The McAfee LiveSafe free trial included with my new Flex 14 machine is about to expire. $20 if I want to buy protection for 1 year (good for up to 5 devices).

Anyone using McAfee LiveSafe? Worth it to buy or get something else?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2007
5301 posts
2861 upvotes
Toronto
Don't use McAfee or Norton. They are bloatware and it's better to use built-in MS Defender.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2005
5815 posts
227 upvotes
GTA
Any opinions on the Bit Defender that's on sale on Bestbuy???
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Retail version of anti-virus softwares are more problematic then they are worth. They can cause BSOD and other system stability that are hard to diagnose !
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1041 upvotes
Kelowna
I installed Sophos Home Free Edition, but to be honest, I've been impressed with Windows Defender. I would probably not renew your ESET and just go with Windows Defender and update it weekly (or more).

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10229 posts
2629 upvotes
Winnipeg
dmehus wrote: I installed Sophos Home Free Edition, but to be honest, I've been impressed with Windows Defender. I would probably not renew your ESET and just go with Windows Defender and update it weekly (or more).

Cheers,
Doug
I use sofos on my win 7 desktops since no defender available for 7. Its fine but I hate cloud based settings. Pihole and defender should suffice and bonus not cloud based
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6449 posts
2861 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Staples usually has good sale every now and then.

Waiting myself for KTS.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1041 upvotes
Kelowna
lead wrote: I use sofos on my win 7 desktops since no defender available for 7. Its fine but I hate cloud based settings. Pihole and defender should suffice and bonus not cloud based
The Sophos Store has funny, and reasonably priced, swag to purchase, especially the socks, t-shirts, and a Sophos I.T. guy action figure. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 29, 2008
3545 posts
881 upvotes
Windows Defender is on sale for the low price of $0.00.


It's good enough for normal people, people that live in the edge should be using a VM.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2012
1858 posts
1041 upvotes
Kelowna
JonSnow wrote: Windows Defender is on sale for the low price of $0.00.


It's good enough for normal people, people that live in the edge should be using a VM.
Yes. Or, keeping multiple disk image backups. ;)

Which VM do you use? I initially used Oracle VirtualBox because it's open source, but then converted by virtual machine to VMware Workstation Player for the added functionality. I have one VM running an old Microsoft Windows 98 for nostalgia purposes and another running Oracle Linux because, well, I like the Oracle logo. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2005
5815 posts
227 upvotes
GTA
georvu wrote: Staples usually has good sale every now and then.

Waiting myself for KTS.
I used to always by Kaspersky TS every year from Future Shop then Best Buy, but switched over to ESET based on a recommendation by the director of IT at my office. So do I go back to Kaspersky if i find it cheaper?? of just get the bit defender that BB is offering for a great price???
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6449 posts
2861 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
sunnybono wrote: I used to always by Kaspersky TS every year from Future Shop then Best Buy, but switched over to ESET based on a recommendation by the director of IT at my office. So do I go back to Kaspersky if i find it cheaper?? of just get the bit defender that BB is offering for a great price???
Using KTS or KIS because of application control which can not find in any other security sw. Can also buy online from amazon can or usa... just need key as can get sw from their site.

Norton ok as well.

Bitdefender was available for around $15 [think 1 yr 3 or 5 devices] month ago.

Eset and BF both good products... do suggest trying trial version of full version to see how your hardware works with these sw.

If using W10 and local user [not admin] acct then built in defender is fine as long as cautious with which sites browsed. Suggest using mbam free for at weekly on demand scans. Plus UBlock origin for browsers.

Lets see what Staples BD ad is.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.

Top