Food & Drink

Any Drive-in restaurants within driving distance of GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 6:00 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes

Any Drive-in restaurants within driving distance of GTA?

I’m looking for the classic sit in the car and be served by carhops kind of experience, not the fast food drive-thru type that is common now. I heard a pancake house in Niagara started the service. Any other leads closer to GTA?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16083 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt A&W has carhops these days,
but they sure mean well in trying to restore the past, music and all... (plus OP isn't looking for fast food anyway, lol) ➡ https://web.aw.ca/en/drivein
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5634 posts
2812 upvotes
Mississauga
A&W haven't had drive-in service since the 1980's.

There is an ice cream place down towards Windsor (Dairy Freez in Northridge) where waitresses will come to your car to take your order and deliver your food, but it's not formally a drive-in restaurant.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes
Yeah, I’m hoping for something more unique than A&W. Plenty of these are still around in the US, and I would have thought they’d make a comeback with COVID.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16083 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: A&W haven't had drive-in service since the 1980's.
It's mobile drive in service now, but that's a moot point if OP isn't looking for fast food.

How to order
Download the A&W app
Select restaurant location and choose "Drive‑in"
Place your order
Park anywhere in our parking lot
Stay and enjoy your meal, chewing along to the hits on AWFM!

https://web.aw.ca/en/drivein
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4381 posts
3910 upvotes
Technically it's within driving distance of the GTA (about 2 hours) but the border is problematic these days unfortunately...
https://locations.sonicdrivein.com/ny/c ... -road.html

I have been to this location, 4 hours from home (if you're going to the fun German-themed tourist trap of Frankenmuth this is near it, and next to the big outlet mall)
https://locations.sonicdrivein.com/mi/b ... treet.html

@[JamesVirani] you're absolutely right, seems this style of restaurant is gone from Southern Ontario... a search for "drive-in restaurants ontario" brings up a lot of places that call themselves drive-ins (and maybe have been in the past) but today are just typical diners/burger joints where you park and go in as per usual. A proper drive-in has parking spaces set up with menus at each, and you are meant to eat in that parking spot. None of this "order ahead with the app for curbside pickup" BS -- McDonald's does this (which is fine) but nobody would ever mistake McDonald's service as equivalent to Sonic service. That and if you do pick up your meal that way at McD you can't stay in that same parking spot to eat, you must leave it for the next pick-up order customer to use. This is not the case at Sonic. You park, use the 2-way radio mounted on the menu board to place your order, and the food is brought out to you.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
McDonalds has curbside service. Mobile order, arrive and park in a Curbside spot.

Bring your window rigged tray and let the staff put your bag on it. You now have a Drive in resto.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
13 posts
8 upvotes
Yeah, crossing the border is difficult at best of times; I’m not going to even try now. I’ve been to some of the drive-ins in Michigan, and have been to Frankenmuth, and had a lot of fun, which is why I thought of looking for a similar thing in Ontario.