Automotive

Any DT Toronto shops that still do oil change labour?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2018 12:02 am
Jul 8, 2014
129 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Any DT Toronto shops that still do oil change labour?

Hi All,

I usually do my own oil change but the last change was in the middle of winter so I took it to a Honda dealership instead.

Fast forward to today, the car is due for another change. But for whatever reason I just could not unscrew that drain bolt (either they over tighten it or the bolt rusted?)

Since I already purchased the oil and filter, I wonder if there are still any shops around DT toronto that still provides the labour (at a reasonable rate) if i bring them the oil and filter

Alternatively if they are willing to charge a small fee to loosen the bolt for me, that would be even better.

Thanks
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
lol..... stupid mechanic tightening the bolt too tight. Had this happen to me when I used to bring it in to Mr. Lube.

My suggestion would be to buy a new plug.

Then use a monkey wrench to get it off. You could use a socket wrench or a regular wrench but I find when trying to loosen it, you'll end up stripping it. The monkey wrench gets a hard grip on it and you will mess it up. But you'll have it off and have a new one to replace it with.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Don't be afraid to put some elbow grease into it.
You can also use a hammer or wrench and tap the end of the ratchet and it will be enough to loosen the nut.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
akswun wrote: Then use a monkey wrench to get it off. You could use a socket wrench or a regular wrench but I find when trying to loosen it, you'll end up stripping it. The monkey wrench gets a hard grip on it and you will mess it up. But you'll have it off and have a new one to replace it with.
Or use the correct tool... which is an impact socket on a wrench of your choice (preferably impact) to remove a stuck bolt.
Regular chrome sockets can and do flex a bit, which makes it easier to round off nuts & bolts.
Aug 6, 2017
99 posts
94 upvotes
Use a breaker bar, if the breaker bar doesn't work, add a pipe onto the breaker bar extending it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Come on guys. It's not on there that tight.

Use the box end of a combination wrench, and put some muscle into it!
Jul 8, 2014
129 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't have a good ramp so I can't get a long breaker bar in there.

Probably will try to get some PB blaster or liquid wrench and see if I could loosen it a little...
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
akswun wrote: lol..... stupid mechanic tightening the bolt too tight. Had this happen to me when I used to bring it in to Mr. Lube.

My suggestion would be to buy a new plug.

Then use a monkey wrench to get it off. You could use a socket wrench or a regular wrench but I find when trying to loosen it, you'll end up stripping it. The monkey wrench gets a hard grip on it and you will mess it up. But you'll have it off and have a new one to replace it with.

Stupid mechanic or weak cubical dweller pretending he knows better than a technician?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
You probably just don't have the angle or leverage
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
SiuMai wrote: I don't have a good ramp so I can't get a long breaker bar in there.

Probably will try to get some PB blaster or liquid wrench and see if I could loosen it a little...
The threads are constantly soaking in oil, no need for any penetrating fluid. Just give it a good yank.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
prochargedv8 wrote: Stupid mechanic or weak cubical dweller pretending he knows better than a technician?
technician.... the same guy who cranked it on like no tomorrow?

It's what worked for me after stripping the shit out of mine. Didn't have a breaker bar, just a ratchet, and my inexperienced twitter fingers probably chose the wrong socket. Mr. Lube was the last place I took it. I've done it before but opted to go to a lube place because I didn't want to change it in the dead of winter.

These so called 'technicians'.... so professional.... like that one time they put on the wrong oil filter and had a massive spill at my mechanics garage (getting muffler replaced).... I mean, they're technicians.... they could do it blind folded right?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
It's unfair that Lube and Oil Technicians are even given that title. They're unskilled workers (no offence, but that's how they're classified) who are hired by garages at at low wage only to do oil changes. Whether that be a dealership, or a place like Mr. Lube.

Automotive Technician is a skilled trade, and some of them are VERY good at what they do. Well beyond what even experienced DIY'ers, like myself, are capable of.

My brother is one of those guys. He's one of the most skilled and valuable electrical diagnostic technicians at his work. And he's payed and treated as such. He always tells me that the difference between a mechanic and a technician, is that one guesses and just changes parts blindly, while the other uses diagnostics to find the problem.

So just be mindful when you're bad mouthing all technicians.
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
akswun wrote: technician.... the same guy who cranked it on like no tomorrow?

It's what worked for me after stripping the shit out of mine. Didn't have a breaker bar, just a ratchet, and my inexperienced twitter fingers probably chose the wrong socket. Mr. Lube was the last place I took it. I've done it before but opted to go to a lube place because I didn't want to change it in the dead of winter.

These so called 'technicians'.... so professional.... like that one time they put on the wrong oil filter and had a massive spill at my mechanics garage (getting muffler replaced).... I mean, they're technicians.... they could do it blind folded right?

Says the guy who uses a monkey wrench for automotive repairs, next time I need an oil change I guess I should call a plumber.
Jul 26, 2010
927 posts
89 upvotes
eastern Ontario
My neighbour gave me an old kubota riding mower. I was afraid I couldn't remove the oil plug. Why should a mower plug be mangled? I have sockets designed to grabbed mangled bolts/nuts. I have got my money's worth from a hand held impact from princess auto. You hold it on bolt and bang with a hammer. I use it when I am afraid air impact will be too much and snap the bolt.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
prochargedv8 wrote: Says the guy who uses a monkey wrench for automotive repairs, next time I need an oil change I guess I should call a plumber.
lol... it was a one time situation. I have a breaker bar, torque wrench, ramp etc... now. Hey, you know what! Maybe I'm a technician now! I have all the tools and can change my own oil.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
SiuMai wrote: Hi All,

I usually do my own oil change but the last change was in the middle of winter so I took it to a Honda dealership instead.

Fast forward to today, the car is due for another change. But for whatever reason I just could not unscrew that drain bolt (either they over tighten it or the bolt rusted?)

Since I already purchased the oil and filter, I wonder if there are still any shops around DT toronto that still provides the labour (at a reasonable rate) if i bring them the oil and filter

Alternatively if they are willing to charge a small fee to loosen the bolt for me, that would be even better.

Thanks
Put your back into it. Really. It can't be that tight
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 8, 2014
129 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dam what's with the down votes... Confused Face

Anyways quick update for those interested... I sprayed the bolt with PB Blast and let it sit for about 24hrs, and drove to a buddy's place who recently purchased a much higher ramp which will lift the car up higher, and allow me to use a longer bar. Just for LOLs, we decided to use a torque wrench and see at what setting will the bolt loosen (totally not recommended, but I brought a cheap one from Princess Auto recently so its not a huge loss if anything happens.) We started at 30 ft lb per Honda's spec, and went up by 10 till we finally broke it loose at 100 ft lb....
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
SiuMai wrote: Dam what's with the down votes... Confused Face

Anyways quick update for those interested... I sprayed the bolt with PB Blast and let it sit for about 24hrs, and drove to a buddy's place who recently purchased a much higher ramp which will lift the car up higher, and allow me to use a longer bar. Just for LOLs, we decided to use a torque wrench and see at what setting will the bolt loosen (totally not recommended, but I brought a cheap one from Princess Auto recently so its not a huge loss if anything happens.) We started at 30 ft lb per Honda's spec, and went up by 10 till we finally broke it loose at 100 ft lb....
You know it was zipped on with an impact wrench, count yourself lucky it wasn't cross threaded at the same time, consider replace the drain plug washer since it was compressed by that much torque. I time my oil change so I can do it myself in spring and fall, even if it means doing it early.

As for downvotes, it's the RFD norm, ignore it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)