Food & Drink

Any early bird dim sum still available?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2020 1:52 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2020
1 posts

Any early bird dim sum still available?

Are there any restaurants still offering early bird dim sum since covid began? Ideally in Markham or Richmond Hill area?
56 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2834 posts
210 upvotes
I heard not anymore. Most places are offer flat rate for all items, regardless small, medium or large. And flat rate =/= low rate
I post, you decide.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43428 posts
6677 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Covid... i imagine it would be tough to give discounts with the added spacing and less customers.
They can’t make up the profits with the massive volume and lineups spilling into the parking lot anymore.

Wow its like a trip down memory lane... racing to dim sum @ 10am... trying to beat those massive line ups. The commaderie with friends and family.
Aunties elbowing you for space.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27586 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
me too. I did order takeout twice since March.
Mar 16, 2009
176 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
-=phelan=- wrote: I haven't even been in a restaurant since March...definitely missing Dim Sum :/
Nothing stopping you now. Stop giving into the non-stop fear mongering from the media. These small businesses, their employees, and the economy needs people to start going out and spending again.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1281 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy frozen dimsum from the shops and do it at home. It's easy, cheaper, and you are at home.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4025 posts
792 upvotes
West Side GTA
jflex wrote: Nothing stopping you now. Stop giving into the non-stop fear mongering from the media. These small businesses, their employees, and the economy needs people to start going out and spending again.
Oh believe me I'm all for supporting small businesses...you won't get any argument from me on that one. But unfortunately I have immediate and direct family that's in the "high risk" category preventing me from going out to enjoy it. I could go out and enjoy it by myself but lets be honest...how many solo diners do you see out there lol. So it's definitely not fear mongering from the media but rather "common sense" for me not to go out.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3653 posts
2897 upvotes
booblehead wrote: me too. I did order takeout twice since March.
Wow that is it? What have you been eating from? All home cooked?

Im doing about one to two dim sum a week and one to two dinners from the Asian places like wonderful kitchen and more recently ritzy palace for their dinner combos

Best deal still is wonderful kitchen with flat rate dim sum and higher quality dinner takeout than the typical food court takeout joints for Chinese food
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27586 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Wow that is it? What have you been eating from? All home cooked?

Im doing about one to two dim sum a week and one to two dinners from the Asian places like wonderful kitchen and more recently ritzy palace for their dinner combos

Best deal still is wonderful kitchen with flat rate dim sum and higher quality dinner takeout than the typical food court takeout joints for Chinese food
Not really a big dim sum fan to begin with. In other words, really did not miss much. So, majority of meals are now home made and yes ... it is getting very dull and boring.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10865 posts
5978 upvotes
Markham
StatsGuy wrote: Wow that is it? What have you been eating from? All home cooked?

Curious how much is the flat rate dim sum at My Wonderful Kitchen.

Order by phone only? Wished they have a menu and I could fax it in with me order. (They can confirm receipt of order and pick up time).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3653 posts
2897 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Curious how much is the flat rate dim sum at My Wonderful Kitchen.

Order by phone only? Wished they have a menu and I could fax it in with me order. (They can confirm receipt of order and pick up time).
Yes phone only, as they stopped doing Uber as it's too busy (and no special pricing thru Uber anyways)

It's still $3.88 for SML still when I ordered few weeks ago

They are really busy so it may take a few tries to get through to them to order especially during busy times .

Though they maybe back to 20% off and not flat rate anymore, I haven't been in a few weeks
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11199 posts
3466 upvotes
Toronto
MasterXan wrote: I heard not anymore. Most places are offer flat rate for all items, regardless small, medium or large. And flat rate =/= low rate
Skyview on Woodbine and Yorktech is doing early dim sum special open at 10am and you have to submit the dim sum order by 11am.

Warn you there will be line up and they tend to let their VIP customers to cut in line, you may or may not able to get a table or submit the order before 11am.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4025 posts
792 upvotes
West Side GTA
^^ That's always been the case at Skyview / The One Fusion / DragonBoat....they have their VIP clientelle that they have to take care of which always cut the lines.

Personally I don't mind the home cooked food, but I can't replicate certain items at home like Dim Sum.

But Dim Sum is usually a loss leader anyways for most restaurants as they make most of their $$$ from the dinners (well at least pre-covid) I don't know about now.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27586 posts
12660 upvotes
Toronto
I sure can confirm that ... those people don't need to line up and simply walk right in Confused Face