Food & Drink

Any early bird dim sum still available?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2020 1:52 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I sure can confirm that ... those people don't need to line up and simply walk right in Confused Face
Yup, most large (serve dim sum and traditional dinner) Chinese restaurants give line bypass to loyal customers along with 10% discount regardless of "vip" card or not. My mom and other parents of friends somehow gets the line bypass at a bunch of restaurants and I tag along lol

But need to make sure to be generous during Chinese New year's as well and show up at these places and make it rain lol
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 12, 2011
58 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: Skyview on Woodbine and Yorktech is doing early dim sum special open at 10am and you have to submit the dim sum order by 11am.
We called about their early bird discount yesterday and were told they don't offer it anymore. Anybody have a different experience?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8297 posts
3751 upvotes
Markham
jflex wrote: Nothing stopping you now. Stop giving into the non-stop fear mongering from the media. These small businesses, their employees, and the economy needs people to start going out and spending again.
Pointing to the fact is different from spreading fear.

Everyone has their choice and they are entitled to say it.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
568 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
while on topic for dimsum.. pretty sad that dragonboat fusion is closed .. are they just renovating?

Did get around to yu seafood in a recent weekend as my 2nd dine-in experience since lockdown (1st was daldolgnae kbbq :D) . place was absolutely rammed, 45min wait and we got there at 1030am. Had a few tables outside but seems to be for larger groups only. Not sure if food was good or i had been missing the whole dining experience lol .. wasn't cheap (https://www.yuseafood.com/pdf_menu/orderform-0807.pdf)

also reminded me why i didn't go for dim sum often pre covid.. 1) dont wanna wake up early + queue 2) i always eat way too much and end up being degenerate for rest of the day lol
Images
  • 1.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1352 posts
1442 upvotes
Toronto
Goose12345 wrote: while on topic for dimsum.. pretty sad that dragonboat fusion is closed .. are they just renovating?

Did get around to yu seafood in a recent weekend as my 2nd dine-in experience since lockdown (1st was daldolgnae kbbq :D) . place was absolutely rammed, 45min wait and we got there at 1030am. Had a few tables outside but seems to be for larger groups only. Not sure if food was good or i had been missing the whole dining experience lol .. wasn't cheap (https://www.yuseafood.com/pdf_menu/orderform-0807.pdf)

also reminded me why i didn't go for dim sum often pre covid.. 1) dont wanna wake up early + queue 2) i always eat way too much and end up being degenerate for rest of the day lol
Only been there twice and it is good but not amazing. Certainly, not good enough to wait in line for more than 10 minutes.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27570 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto
I tried it just once (not too long after it opened a few years back). Way too expensive for my thin wallet. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
Goose12345 wrote: while on topic for dimsum.. pretty sad that dragonboat fusion is closed .. are they just renovating?

Did get around to yu seafood in a recent weekend as my 2nd dine-in experience since lockdown (1st was daldolgnae kbbq :D) . place was absolutely rammed, 45min wait and we got there at 1030am. Had a few tables outside but seems to be for larger groups only. Not sure if food was good or i had been missing the whole dining experience lol .. wasn't cheap (https://www.yuseafood.com/pdf_menu/orderform-0807.pdf)

also reminded me why i didn't go for dim sum often pre covid.. 1) dont wanna wake up early + queue 2) i always eat way too much and end up being degenerate for rest of the day lol
Nope, a new restaurant already took it's place (starvicha), not sure if they are same/related owner as that's a pretty fast takeover of the space though I understand their lease was up

I'm also disappointed Dragon boat closed but it was expected regardless since they opened up The One on Bayview couple years ago which is bigger and newer and they also have Skyview fusion on woodbine just south of hwy 7. So it made sense to consolidate

As for Yu, I got takeout from them back in April or so (with $4 flat rate ) dim sum and it was pretty bad, not sure if dine in is better/different dim sum chefs

Also tried Prudential 9 recently and it was also terrible, good thing it was takeout with 15% off but still pretty bad. Hard tiny shrimps in Har Gau and rice noodle rolls no good, rest of stuff very forgettable

My dim sum goto are still wonderful kitchen (dinner combos also fantastic value and higher quality than food court takeout or those stores in strip malls)

Orient bistro is good as well, not sure if they still have early bird though, regular price they are $$$ compared to wonderful kitchen and not as good so don't go too often, though they seem to have the best 'patio" for dim sum
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I tried it just once (not too long after it opened a few years back). Way too expensive for my thin wallet. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Oh come on, that's not even a tank of gas for you or you can go check out the cars in the parking lot you're going to try to get a good deal on lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27570 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto
Dim Sum is pretty well close to be the same for all restaurants, with a bit of exceptions of course. For majority / most items on the typical dim sum menu, one cannot taste any differences between a very pricey place vs a cheapo place.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
568 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: I tried it just once (not too long after it opened a few years back). Way too expensive for my thin wallet. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
and there's a massive dip in the pavement in front the door.. personally a witnessed a younger guy scraped the front lip of a his M4 GTS .. everyone heard it :(

expensive meal indeed
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
568 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Nope, a new restaurant already took it's place (starvicha), not sure if they are same/related owner as that's a pretty fast takeover of the space though I understand their lease was up

I'm also disappointed Dragon boat closed but it was expected regardless since they opened up The One on Bayview couple years ago which is bigger and newer and they also have Skyview fusion on woodbine just south of hwy 7. So it made sense to consolidate

As for Yu, I got takeout from them back in April or so (with $4 flat rate ) dim sum and it was pretty bad, not sure if dine in is better/different dim sum chefs

Also tried Prudential 9 recently and it was also terrible, good thing it was takeout with 15% off but still pretty bad. Hard tiny shrimps in Har Gau and rice noodle rolls no good, rest of stuff very forgettable

My dim sum goto are still wonderful kitchen (dinner combos also fantastic value and higher quality than food court takeout or those stores in strip malls)

Orient bistro is good as well, not sure if they still have early bird though, regular price they are $$$ compared to wonderful kitchen and not as good so don't go too often, though they seem to have the best 'patio" for dim sum
yea i got one of yu's seafood combos to go once during lockdown.. just as with jacob's steaks delivered on ubereats... the $$$ not justifiable without the ambiance/experience meh

thx for suggestions i will try them ... are The One and SKyview same owner as dragonbaot?

living downtown... the value play is always rol san esp in degenerate hours like 230am :) Some folks like crown princess but i find it a bit gaudy and the one time when they unintentionally let me pay amex but then forced me to pay with another card left me with a really sour taste. but thats for the credit card forum...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27570 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto
Goose12345 wrote: and there's a massive dip in the pavement in front the door.. personally a witnessed a younger guy scraped the front lip of a his M4 GTS .. everyone heard it :(

expensive meal indeed
No worry. Daddy will pay. Perhaps, it's a perfect time to ask for a new 911
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1180 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
Apparently Dragon Boat will reopen once they find a new location with better parking
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
Goose12345 wrote: yea i got one of yu's seafood combos to go once during lockdown.. just as with jacob's steaks delivered on ubereats... the $$$ not justifiable without the ambiance/experience meh

thx for suggestions i will try them ... are The One and SKyview same owner as dragonbaot?
yup same owners, even the name has been merged with The One on google maps! i've even had The One take the dragonboat VIP card that my mom lends to me lol

though looking at reviews, seems there is no more morning special discount for dim sum at The One
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2006
2053 posts
774 upvotes
maple1 wrote: Only been there twice and it is good but not amazing. Certainly, not good enough to wait in line for more than 10 minutes.
I thought they are one of the best dim sum place. Not sure where you think is better. Anyway they are always packed and parking is crazy. They also has special on weekdays morning.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan

Top