• Aug 6th, 2015 4:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
angry-trucker wrote: More specifically the P307 model.
Lots of these tires seem to be imported by the big tire warehouses in the GTA area, but can't find much info on them as far as reviews are concerned.
The sales staff usually sounds very enthusiastic about these, but of course they will say anything to make a sale.

I know what most of you guys are thinking, but I have learned that not everyting from China is a crappy product and sometimes you can get good quality items from there, if you do your research..
I'm trying to keep an open mind here.
Part of my reasoning to even consider these tires is the fact, that the market is currently pretty much cornered by all the major name brands....so even if this tire's quality was comparable or better then the big guys, in order to break into the market, they would pretty much have no choice but to heavily discount them, because nobody would buy them at the price point comparable to the big brand names.
So in theory, these tires could be just as good (or maybe even better) giving you a great bang for the buck.
Basically I would like an opinion from someone who has purchased them...thank you in advance.
Some products from China are great, no doubt about it. However, tires? I'm not quite sure yet. Good rubber products require years of research and accumulation of know-hows, unlike those electronic products that good set of human skills can put together. I'd wait many more years before I try Chinese brand tires.
Feb 3, 2015
150 posts
52 upvotes
Windsor, ON
By 1976 Toyota has been making cars for many decades. You can't really compare that to a Chinese tire manufacturer that appeared overnight.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
conix67 wrote: Some products from China are great, no doubt about it. However, tires? I'm not quite sure yet. Good rubber products require years of research and accumulation of know-hows, unlike those electronic products that good set of human skills can put together. I'd wait many more years before I try Chinese brand tires.
Seconded. If you're looking to save money, go with a "2nd" tier brand (General, Hankook, Kuhmo, Barum, Semperit, etc.). At least they have reviews and you usually end up with a good tire with slightly poorer tread wear.

Note: I use 2nd tier loosely as I would argue Hankook and Kuhmo make tires that are quite competitive with Michelin, Dunlop, Continental, Pirelli and Bridgestone and in some cases come with the same price premium.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
618 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
koshercommander wrote: By 1976 Toyota has been making cars for many decades. You can't really compare that to a Chinese tire manufacturer that appeared overnight.
Overnight? Maybe you haven't heard of them but that doesn't mean they came up over night. A quick search shows Aoteli tires back in 2011. Just because they aren't big in the NA market, doesn't mean they aren't a popular tire somewhere else. And chances are they are just a sub brand of a larger brand. Most of these chinese tires are just rebranded bigger name tires.

Way to many people on here make assumptions about certain things. Tons of people in Canada use "cheap chinese tires" and do we hear about them directly causing deaths?
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
woof wrote: Considering the low quality of pretty much anything from China and the corners that they cut to keep their products cheap I can't think of any reason why I'd want to risk buying these.
Lots of his quality stuff from China...much better than stuff made in north america.. All depends on your price range and what you as actually get

Manufacturing in China is eons ahead of what we have in north America for quality
Feb 3, 2015
150 posts
52 upvotes
Windsor, ON
cferguson23 wrote: Overnight? Maybe you haven't heard of them but that doesn't mean they came up over night. A quick search shows Aoteli tires back in 2011. Just because they aren't big in the NA market, doesn't mean they aren't a popular tire somewhere else. And chances are they are just a sub brand of a larger brand. Most of these chinese tires are just rebranded bigger name tires.

Way to many people on here make assumptions about certain things. Tons of people in Canada use "cheap chinese tires" and do we hear about them directly causing deaths?
Yes, Aoteli is likely just a brand, and it's made by a larger company. Yes, they are way too many assumptions, we can't assume they are good tires either.

Also when buying Chinese tires, make sure you get the genuine Chinese tires:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
2040 posts
526 upvotes
'sauga
So after a minute or so of googling it looks like the manufacturer is shengtaigroup.com.cn.

Checking on Alibaba, these go for as low as $15 each wholesale, so there's plenty of profit to be made on bringing a container of these over and selling them with plenty of margin.

While I can't comment on the quality, I'd imagine you'd have little recourse if you had a warranty concern or encountered a defective tire. Something to consider.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
koshercommander wrote: Yes, Aoteli is likely just a brand, and it's made by a larger company. Yes, they are way too many assumptions, we can't assume they are good tires either.

Do you happened to have test data from the "Genuine" Chinese manufacturer's tires?

So these fakes come from countries other than China?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
LandKing wrote: Lots of his quality stuff from China...much better than stuff made in north america.. All depends on your price range and what you as actually get

Manufacturing in China is eons ahead of what we have in north America for quality
I would like to know about these high "quality stuff" which were solely designed and manufactured in China.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
koshercommander wrote: Yes, Aoteli is likely just a brand, and it's made by a larger company. Yes, they are way too many assumptions, we can't assume they are good tires either.

Interesting....so we have crap from China and now we have to be concerned about fake crap from China.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
618 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
shoppingkart wrote: I would like to know about these high "quality stuff" which were solely designed and manufactured in China.
You have reading comprehension issues? No one said anything about them being DESIGNED in China. Tons of things are designed in other countries and manufactured in China because of the low cost.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
cferguson23 wrote: You have reading comprehension issues? No one said anything about them being DESIGNED in China. Tons of things are designed in other countries and manufactured in China because of the low cost.
No I don't have reading comprehension issues, but it seems like you do. These tires are clearly designed in China and made in China by a Chinese tire manufacturer. My question was to the poster who defended Chinese manufacturing and quality in a thread which is about Chinese tires.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Like others have said, every company does start somewhere (way back when. Canon & Nikon were considered "cheap knockoffs" of German camera brands and look at them now...) but with something as closely tied to safety as tires, I'm not sure it's worth the gamble to save money. Like the OP said, he doesn't want to be the guinea pig so let someone else be and get a set of tires from a brand you know; hell if it's too expensive you can try and find a used set that has enough thread depth left in them.
Sep 10, 2013
2 posts
Newmarket
Hey, Angry-trucker I was wondering the same thing. It is interesting that there is a lack of reviews on these tires, lets face it, if one has problems they shout it from the roof tops, or at least in blogs. Sometimes no news is good news. Now I did find a few reviews on this site:
http://www.mavistire.com/tire-reviews/A ... l=Ecosaver. 3 out of 5 star over all. How much can you expect for a budget tire? My concern is that the ad I read said 30,000km warranty. I hope that is a typo. If they wear that fast then it is no bargain. I haven't spoken to anyone just saw the ad on Kijiji. Hope this helps.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)