Home & Garden

Any experience with staining deck in early spring?

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2020 12:31 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6305 posts
2176 upvotes
Montreal

Any experience with staining deck in early spring?

I realise this might be a bit late to ask, but I just finished restaining my deck. Saw that there was no rain forecast for today and tomorrow, with a day time temp of 15 to 18c, cloudy so no direct sun on the stain. Temps is around 5c at night, is that ok? It also rained yesterday but I did wait 24h before staining.

My previous experience with staining were always during summer. Was wondering if anyone done it early spring, and if it affected the adherence of the stain at all.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7912 posts
4271 upvotes
Kootenays
I do it all the time. I just finished 4 decks last week. It's no problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2140 posts
1130 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Depends on the stain you used.. Some have higher minimum temps, some are good down to 3-5degs
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6305 posts
2176 upvotes
Montreal
schade wrote: Depends on the stain you used.. Some have higher minimum temps, some are good down to 3-5degs
I used Cabot Timber Oil semi transparent.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7912 posts
4271 upvotes
Kootenays
Jerico wrote: Most paint and stain manufacturers suggest 10 degrees min for 48 hours for best adherence
The one I just used, Sikkens SRD, suggests minimum 4c overnight. In my experience, with oil based stains, you're far better having cool nights and a longer cure time than hot days and evaporation prior to proper bonding. Geeze, if we waited for 2 nights in a row above 10c, we'd have about 10 staining oportunities per year. Summer here is 30c in the day and 10c or sub 10c at night.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2140 posts
1130 upvotes
Alliston, ON
smacd wrote: The one I just used, Sikkens SRD, suggests minimum 4c overnight. In my experience, with oil based stains, you're far better having cool nights and a longer cure time than hot days and evaporation prior to proper bonding. Geeze, if we waited for 2 nights in a row above 10c, we'd have about 10 staining oportunities per year. Summer here is 30c in the day and 10c or sub 10c at night.
switch to Cutek. It can be applied on the Hottest of days and in direct sunlight. Opens up alot more days to stain
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7912 posts
4271 upvotes
Kootenays
schade wrote: switch to Cutek. It can be applied on the Hottest of days and in direct sunlight. Opens up alot more days to stain
We're full on the hottest days (we're a small resort), but I'd much rather stain when it's 15-20, like now.