Fashion & Beauty

Any good and affordable custom tailors shop in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2010 11:05 pm
Jul 31, 2007
116 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough

Any good and affordable custom tailors shop in Toronto?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new suit, but looking for a custom tailor shop because my size is little weird. :razz:

LOL

any good one around in Toronto area?
11 replies
Jul 31, 2008
778 posts
2 upvotes
What weird size are you?

Local made to measure and bespoke all start in the high hundreds.
Jul 31, 2007
116 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
CanuckBassist wrote: What weird size are you?

very weird.. LOL

with custom-made, it looks better..
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
CanuckBassist wrote: What weird size are you?

Made to measure and bespoke are 2 different things entirely.

While you can probably buy a Coppley made to measure suit from the mid to high hundreds. A proper bespoke suit will run you in the several thousands.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Jul 31, 2008
778 posts
2 upvotes
Cruel_Angel wrote: Made to measure and bespoke are 2 different things entirely.

While you can probably buy a Coppley made to measure suit from the mid to high hundreds. A proper bespoke suit will run you in the several thousands.

I know they are different. That's why I separated them into two categories rather than just saying "custom" in general. My tailor told me about cheap bespoke tailors that start at 800-900 in the GTA, but the quality is not very good obviously.
Jul 31, 2007
116 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
CanuckBassist wrote: I know they are different. That's why I separated them into two categories rather than just saying "custom" in general. My tailor told me about cheap bespoke tailors that start at 800-900 in the GTA, but the quality is not very good obviously.

any recommend shop?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1898 posts
189 upvotes
XBeta wrote: any recommend shop?

Tip Tops or any store can't custom fit you? I have one store in mind but i forgot the name.. will post later, but its probably similar to how tiptops or any other store does the fitting

EDIT: The Arcade Men's Shop seems to have affordable suits, and i think you can get it custom made. (Finally got to posting it. Sorry if it was almost a month later, lol)
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2278 posts
624 upvotes
Questionz wrote: Tip Tops or any store can't custom fit you? I have one store in mind but i forgot the name.. will post later, but its probably similar to how tiptops or any other store does the fitting
You can only do so much with a suit that is off the rack. If you need to bring in more than a couple of inches, you start sacrificing the shape, unless the tailor deconstructs the whole suit and starts basically from scratch. So if XBeta believes he is irregular body shape, he should definitely stick with custom.
Sep 9, 2009
324 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Affordable can mean different things to different people.

If you're looking for made-to-measure (MTM) or bespoke for under $900, forget it. Find a decent suit at Harry/Holt's outlet and get it tailored.

That said, there are plenty of hidden gems in the downtown core. Some custom shops include Fifth on King, Spiros, Stavros, Bulloch Tailors, and Trend Custom tailors. Prices vary on fabric, but they all generally start with Ermenegildo Zegna/Loro Piana 100's fabric from $1000 and up. Most of them do all the tailoring and fitting in-house (except Fifth who outsources). You can get an impeccable MTM suit cut from the finest cloth for low $1000s, which is a bargain compared to buying off the rack at Harry/Holts for $1500+, or god forbid their bespoke shop for $3000+.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2278 posts
624 upvotes
Laphroaig wrote: Affordable can mean different things to different people.

If you're looking for made-to-measure (MTM) or bespoke for under $900, forget it. Find a decent suit at Harry/Holt's outlet and get it tailored.

That said, there are plenty of hidden gems in the downtown core. Some custom shops include Fifth on King, Spiros, Stavros, Bulloch Tailors, and Trend Custom tailors. Prices vary on fabric, but they all generally start with Ermenegildo Zegna/Loro Piana 100's fabric from $1000 and up. Most of them do all the tailoring and fitting in-house (except Fifth who outsources). You can get an impeccable MTM suit cut from the finest cloth for low $1000s, which is a bargain compared to buying off the rack at Harry/Holts for $1500+, or god forbid their bespoke shop for $3000+.

One can get a MTM suit for less than $900. We do it for $450. How? it is outsourced overseas. All the ones that you mentioned make their product in Canada, which increases the cost (and arguably, the quality) by the business.

I'm not saying that our work can compete with the ones that you mentioned in terms of quality, but we provide excellent value for the amount of money and a great level of service. In other words, we serve another niche, separate from the ones mentioned above.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1898 posts
189 upvotes
PennyArcade wrote: One can get a MTM suit for less than $900. We do it for $450. How? it is outsourced overseas. All the ones that you mentioned make their product in Canada, which increases the cost (and arguably, the quality) by the business.

I'm not saying that our work can compete with the ones that you mentioned in terms of quality, but we provide excellent value for the amount of money and a great level of service. In other words, we serve another niche, separate from the ones mentioned above.

PennyArcade, when you say "we", i assume you own a store. What's it called? What are the general prices of the suits you sell, and what are your charge rates for, say custom fitting?
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2278 posts
624 upvotes
Questionz wrote: PennyArcade, when you say "we", i assume you own a store. What's it called? What are the general prices of the suits you sell, and what are your charge rates for, say custom fitting?

The company that I work for is called IM Label. We start at $450/suit, made to measure (that basically means custom fit). Some RFD'ers have purchased from us (thanks guys!) and have posted their thoughts within this subforum.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)