• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 8:39 pm
[OP]
Mar 5, 2005
524 posts
315 upvotes

any good alternatives to tangerine

tired of calling in for promo rates.
signed up with eqbank and find them pretty good but i will soon hit the deposit limit so i was wondering if any knows of any other alternatives
38 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4104 posts
1769 upvotes
Quebec
yes sir, anybody can make a mistake. no worrie
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8766 posts
4639 upvotes
Oaken has pretty good GIC rates if you are able to lock up your money for 18 months.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5204 posts
4163 upvotes
I recently signed up for Motive Financial
Nov 6, 2015
978 posts
577 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Alternative for what? A no-fee chequing account? Something else?

If you only have it for a HISA, then you just leave your account open, and whenever there is a new promo, transfer money in, and when the promo ends move it out. Don't bother with begging, just go with the flow.
Sep 22, 2010
583 posts
677 upvotes
Victoria
JoeBlack23 wrote: Alternative for what? A no-fee chequing account? Something else?

If you only have it for a HISA, then you just leave your account open, and whenever there is a new promo, transfer money in, and when the promo ends move it out. Don't bother with begging, just go with the flow.
Which bank do you suggest? I'm under the impression that once you are an established customer Tangerine no longer gives you promos?

EDIT: Personally I'm looking for an increased interest rate on my account.
Nov 6, 2013
323 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
fortunat wrote: tired of calling in for promo rates.
signed up with eqbank and find them pretty good but i will soon hit the deposit limit so i was wondering if any knows of any other alternatives
Motive Financial 1.75% with no limit on the balance.
Jun 4, 2017
107 posts
150 upvotes
Pointshogger wrote: Motive Financial 1.75% with no limit on the balance.
It's capped at $1M. Anything over earns the puny rate.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10837 posts
5833 upvotes
Markham
sskrald wrote: It's capped at $1M. Anything over earns the puny rate.
Put 1m in HISA?
Jun 4, 2017
107 posts
150 upvotes
smartie wrote: Put 1m in HISA?
Not in motive at 1.75% when there are better rates elsewhere.
[OP]
Mar 5, 2005
524 posts
315 upvotes
JoeBlack23 wrote: Alternative for what? A no-fee chequing account? Something else?

HISA
[OP]
Mar 5, 2005
524 posts
315 upvotes
sskrald wrote: Not in motive at 1.75% when there are better rates elsewhere.
Better rates on a HISA, where?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1457 posts
1746 upvotes
sskrald wrote: It's capped at $1M. Anything over earns the puny rate.
If you have $1 000 000, you should probably be investing most of it rather than putting it in a HISA. A HISA is best used for your emergency fund, which should be enough for you to live on for about six months.
Jun 4, 2017
107 posts
150 upvotes
someweirdo wrote: If you have $1 000 000, you should probably be investing most of it rather than putting it in a HISA. A HISA is best used for your emergency fund, which should be enough for you to live on for about six months.
Actually sleep better with low or no risk. Preferred laddering medium to long term strip bonds but those tanked with interest rates so low.
Nov 6, 2015
978 posts
577 upvotes
Guelph, ON
calvados.boualrd wrote: Which bank do you suggest? I'm under the impression that once you are an established customer Tangerine no longer gives you promos?

EDIT: Personally I'm looking for an increased interest rate on my account.
Take your pick:
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/

I'm a long established customer of Tangerine and they offer me promos at least twice a year. Apparently they don't offer to everyone. My theory is they target people who move large amounts out every time a promo ends. There's probably some threshold that makes it worth it to offer the promo.
Last edited by JoeBlack23 on Sep 19th, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.