Personal Finance

any good alternatives to tangerine

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2020 8:39 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 5, 2005
537 posts
325 upvotes

any good alternatives to tangerine

tired of calling in for promo rates.
signed up with eqbank and find them pretty good but i will soon hit the deposit limit so i was wondering if any knows of any other alternatives
38 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2007
4233 posts
1905 upvotes
Quebec
yes sir, anybody can make a mistake. no worrie
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
Oaken has pretty good GIC rates if you are able to lock up your money for 18 months.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19458 posts
22582 upvotes
GTA
Petition ING to bring back ING Direct. Used to be so great.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6597 posts
6073 upvotes
I recently signed up for Motive Financial
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1106 posts
691 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Alternative for what? A no-fee chequing account? Something else?

If you only have it for a HISA, then you just leave your account open, and whenever there is a new promo, transfer money in, and when the promo ends move it out. Don't bother with begging, just go with the flow.
Sr. Member
Sep 22, 2010
862 posts
1194 upvotes
Victoria
JoeBlack23 wrote: Alternative for what? A no-fee chequing account? Something else?

If you only have it for a HISA, then you just leave your account open, and whenever there is a new promo, transfer money in, and when the promo ends move it out. Don't bother with begging, just go with the flow.
Which bank do you suggest? I'm under the impression that once you are an established customer Tangerine no longer gives you promos?

EDIT: Personally I'm looking for an increased interest rate on my account.
Member
Nov 6, 2013
336 posts
111 upvotes
Vancouver
fortunat wrote: tired of calling in for promo rates.
signed up with eqbank and find them pretty good but i will soon hit the deposit limit so i was wondering if any knows of any other alternatives
Motive Financial 1.75% with no limit on the balance.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2017
113 posts
155 upvotes
Pointshogger wrote: Motive Financial 1.75% with no limit on the balance.
It's capped at $1M. Anything over earns the puny rate.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13057 posts
8301 upvotes
Markham
sskrald wrote: It's capped at $1M. Anything over earns the puny rate.
Put 1m in HISA?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2017
113 posts
155 upvotes
smartie wrote: Put 1m in HISA?
Not in motive at 1.75% when there are better rates elsewhere.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 5, 2005
537 posts
325 upvotes
JoeBlack23 wrote: Alternative for what? A no-fee chequing account? Something else?

If you only have it for a HISA, then you just leave your account open, and whenever there is a new promo, transfer money in, and when the promo ends move it out. Don't bother with begging, just go with the flow.
HISA
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 5, 2005
537 posts
325 upvotes
sskrald wrote: Not in motive at 1.75% when there are better rates elsewhere.
Better rates on a HISA, where?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 16, 2019
1568 posts
1956 upvotes
sskrald wrote: It's capped at $1M. Anything over earns the puny rate.
If you have $1 000 000, you should probably be investing most of it rather than putting it in a HISA. A HISA is best used for your emergency fund, which should be enough for you to live on for about six months.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2017
113 posts
155 upvotes
someweirdo wrote: If you have $1 000 000, you should probably be investing most of it rather than putting it in a HISA. A HISA is best used for your emergency fund, which should be enough for you to live on for about six months.
Actually sleep better with low or no risk. Preferred laddering medium to long term strip bonds but those tanked with interest rates so low.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1106 posts
691 upvotes
Guelph, ON
calvados.boualrd wrote: Which bank do you suggest? I'm under the impression that once you are an established customer Tangerine no longer gives you promos?

EDIT: Personally I'm looking for an increased interest rate on my account.
Take your pick:
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/

I'm a long established customer of Tangerine and they offer me promos at least twice a year. Apparently they don't offer to everyone. My theory is they target people who move large amounts out every time a promo ends. There's probably some threshold that makes it worth it to offer the promo.
Last edited by JoeBlack23 on Sep 19th, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top