Any good car rental deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2021 1:42 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
226 posts
291 upvotes

Any good car rental deals?

I was hoping for better car rental prices due to Covid. But prices are the same.
Is there a way to negotiate for a better price?

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8628 posts
2312 upvotes
This time last year they were unbelievably cheap, rent for the lowest I have ever seen ~$9 day on weekends with unlimited km

Since then, they have gotten rid of piles of cars and the price has gone way up. Close to $40 a day, unless you can rent on the weekend only and live with 150km a day (which has gone up to $22/day).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8628 posts
2312 upvotes
Discount car rental site has been down for at least a week. In Sept they finally completed the deal for enterprise to takeover. They said they would run them as separate companies. For the last week or so their online site has just had a message that their site is down, call them instead.

Today, Kingston has closed at least their downtown enterprise location...and made discount into an enterprise. I am not sure, but suspect that is happening everywhere. And I notice...rates are even higher!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5949 posts
1283 upvotes
Montreal
Use autoslash.com.

The beauty of this site is that it gives you a quote but then you tell it you want it to notify you if it finds a better deal. They email you when they find a lower price. I used it February 2020 in Fort Lauderdale just before the pandemic. A 2 week rental from Budget through them went from $427 in their first quote to a final price of $297 with multiple iterations ($427 to $410 to $383 to $344 to $329 and finally $297). I had to pick up the car off-airport but I returned it at FLL.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6117 posts
2192 upvotes
Ottawa
I recently looked for a rental car and the prices seemed really high so I searched Florida (which typically has a lot of deals on rentals) and they were at least 2X or 3X the price of rentals in the past. This was with costcotravel.ca

Just to compare, I rented a compact one day rental from MCO on 2020/06/30 for $36.30USD. I just searched for same location for 2021/04/10 and the total is $111.58USD (FWIW, I don't think I've ever spent more than $45/day in Florida). Also checked for a minivan rental we did last year in Vancouver. It was $555.15 in Sept 2019, this year it would be 1047.20 for the same days (and this is the cheapest (Alamo). We actually rented with Budget and it's coming up as $1839.96 this year with Budget !!!).
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2426 posts
352 upvotes
North Vancouver
yeah I check year end Florida rental , surprise it's so high, so looks like it's not only me have this problem, guess there's nothing we can do just wait
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4290 posts
3721 upvotes
Toronto
Call a location directly and ask. Sometimes the staff can offer a better rate (i.e. "walk-up rate") than their national website because the location would rather make some money rather than have a bunch of cars sitting around un-rented. If there's high demand and low stock, you might not get much discount on a walk-up rate, but nowadays, they're probably eager for *any* business.