Shopping Discussion

Any good cheap smart watch/ step counter for a kid?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 10:19 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2010
330 posts
99 upvotes

Any good cheap smart watch/ step counter for a kid?

I'm looking for a cheap smart watch that also can be a step counter. Conversely, a step counter that has a digital watch on it will do the job. I'm thinking $20 maximum for the budget. I thought I saw one of these cheap knockoffs at Walmart last year but I can't seem to find it any places. Any recommendations?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1858 posts
403 upvotes
The Xiaomi Mi band is pretty good but you probably have to buy online.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8634 posts
4777 upvotes
Sum_guy wrote: The Xiaomi Mi band is pretty good but you probably have to buy online.
This is what I have and it is great for the price ($50), and the battery lasts about a month.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2794 posts
2073 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
testmann wrote: I'm looking for a cheap smart watch that also can be a step counter. Conversely, a step counter that has a digital watch on it will do the job. I'm thinking $20 maximum for the budget. I thought I saw one of these cheap knockoffs at Walmart last year but I can't seem to find it any places. Any recommendations?
I had a similar discussion recently with someone looking to get smart watches for some young family members. We both agreed that a smart watch is absolutely the worst thing to get a kid, if they're going to get a watch. They'll get more benefit from a regular ol' analogue watch, so they can actually...you know...learn to tell time.

Suprisingly, it's a disappearing art.

...and if they're lost in the bush, as long as they have the sun and an analogue watch, they can navigate themselves, using North as the benchmark. Try doing that with a smart watch without data connectivity.

You can of course get your kids whatever you want to get them, but this is my thought on the whole smart-watch-for-kids thing. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Nov 7, 2014
777 posts
358 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Way late but you can get step counters (pretty sure it has the time too) at dollarama for couple $
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5031 posts
2193 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: You can of course get your kids whatever you want to get them, but this is my thought on the whole smart-watch-for-kids thing. :)
They also pointed out that they wanted a step-counter. Suggesting that they want to tell the kid they are fat without saying run more.

Make it a goal.

You walk/run 8,000 steps and you can veg out playing Mario. Less than 8,000, no hitting blocks for coins and Mushrooms.