Any good isp i can sign up right now?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2021 9:36 am
Aug 8, 2005
96 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Any good isp i can sign up right now?

Im moving to an apartment this april and in need of a good deal isp. I dont have one at the moment so this is a new sign up. My main use is iptv and my son for his ps4. Willing to spend not more than $60 monthly. Any recommendations?
23 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
evo_freak wrote: Im moving to an apartment this april and in need of a good deal isp. I dont have one at the moment so this is a new sign up. My main use is iptv and my son for his ps4. Willing to spend not more than $60 monthly. Any recommendations?
best-companies-internet-cable-toronto-a ... #p32281040
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
Whichever you pick, avoid CIK Telecom and CanNet Telecom.
Reason: Throttling, traffic shaping and likely over subscription.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
www.Teksavvy.com

Also make sure you actually have options where you are going. Its possible you may be stuck with 1 company as sometimes the building with make a contract for a few years where its the only available internet provider.
Oct 9, 2005
488 posts
73 upvotes
Thornhill
I use start.ca with dsl network (under bell)

Very happy with them.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
I don't know about other providers but Teksavvy has stopped taking new accounts due to COVID-19. I think it has to do with being able to send techs out.

If others are following suit then it's possible you might not be able to sign up for now
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
164 upvotes
See if you can get Bell FTTB in your apartment. Believe me in a building like that most people don't want to be using cable internet connections during these times.
Aug 8, 2005
96 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
lensbuyer wrote: See if you can get Bell FTTB in your apartment. Believe me in a building like that most people don't want to be using cable internet connections during these times.
I inquire with bell and they could only get me the fibe 50 on my unit. Thats too slow for what i need.
Aug 8, 2005
96 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
xeoreg wrote: I use start.ca with dsl network (under bell)

Very happy with them.
Do you use iptv? Any problems with the connection?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Why is it to slow? What do you use your internet for that 50mbit is not enough?

The reason I ask is because a lot of people think they need 100mb or 200mb when really the truth is 25mbit would be enough for the average user.
evo_freak wrote: I inquire with bell and they could only get me the fibe 50 on my unit. Thats too slow for what i need.
Aug 8, 2005
96 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: Why is it to slow? What do you use your internet for that 50mbit is not enough?

The reason I ask is because a lot of people think they need 100mb or 200mb when really the truth is 25mbit would be enough for the average user.
Simultaneously iptv and online gaming. More headroom is better?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
You wont be online gaming properly at the same time unless you add some Qos rules in your router no matter how fast of a connection you get.

IPTV around 10-15mbit each generally
Online gaming 5mbit give or take is all you really need.

So roughly 35mbit so 50mbit would be enough. The issue you will have is that when gaming your pings will be high and all over the place which will make you have lag issues. You will need a good router that will allow you to set gaming as priority so you will have a stable connection.
evo_freak wrote: Simultaneously iptv and online gaming. More headroom is better?
Jan 31, 2008
86 posts
40 upvotes
Others already warned you about not to use CIK, another caution: with they new setup of "Modem+Mesh Router", their support can directly join your home network, see the password you set on the Mesh router etc. I understand the need to remotely control modem for support purpose, but view the custom password I set? Or become part of my home network behind modem? no.
Nov 27, 2016
507 posts
736 upvotes
m8x
I've just received an official notice from Teksavvy that they are increasing their basic capped DSL rates from $27.95 to $32,95, the largest increase I've seen since I became a customer.

It seems odd that the current Government ran on a platform of cheaper high speed internet and yet we see this. A quick check of the GTA internet service fees, Teksavvy is still seems very reasonable.

Have the ISP's increased their rates in anticipation of the Government price mandates ?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
Check if your new apartment is wired to Beanfield. $50 a month for 1GB each way unlimited.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
echotango wrote: I've just received an official notice from Teksavvy that they are increasing their basic capped DSL rates from $27.95 to $32,95, the largest increase I've seen since I became a customer.

It seems odd that the current Government ran on a platform of cheaper high speed internet and yet we see this. A quick check of the GTA internet service fees, Teksavvy is still seems very reasonable.

Have the ISP's increased their rates in anticipation of the Government price mandates ?
The price mandates died, the big carriers appealed and won. Teksavvy is also hurting financially, they had to lay off 130 people and it sounds as though they are just barely hanging on https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/03/26/teks ... employees/ . Unfortunately I can't see raising rates at a time like this helping them, driving away more customers will just feed the vicious cycle of decline.

Best I can get for DSL is 6Mbps and it's more expensive now than it was in 2014. That's unacceptable, I'm not paying more for garbage speeds. I want to support Teksavvy for the good they do but ultimately I'm not willing to give away money.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/