Home & Garden

Any Good Local Lumber Store in GTA North?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 9:54 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2009
270 posts
144 upvotes

Any Good Local Lumber Store in GTA North?

I am planning to build a garden planter by myself. Is there any good local lumber store in Richmond Hill, Markham, or Aurora area?
9 replies
Jun 26, 2019
467 posts
389 upvotes
Don't really know what kind of lumber you are looking for, Im assume either cedar or PT, which could probably be had at most local stores.

That said, the two stores I would recommend are:

Century Mill Lumber and Schell Lumber (Home hardware), both are in Stouffville.

CML will not have pressure treated.

If you want to go the other direction, you can look the Central Fairbanks Lumber.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2009
270 posts
144 upvotes
Thanks, I am new to this too. Since now working from home and have so much time, maybe I can trying making one :P

From my research, I think cedar would be more affordable, and redwood would be overkill for first-timer like me.

I will check out Century Mill Lumber which is not far from where I live. Maybe can also king cole duck which is kind of on the way too lol
Aug 27, 2006
345 posts
717 upvotes
GTA
VladimirY wrote: Central Fairbank Lumber on Dufferine & Steels. https://centralfairbank.com
I went there last week.
Full covid mode, you can't window shop.
Line up to get in, and you talk to the person behind the counter and you pay before seeing any of the stuff you buy.

Unless you know exactly what you are getting, it's hard to shop right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2855 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
el'ation wrote: I went there last week.
Line up to get in, and you talk to the person behind the counter and you pay before seeing any of the stuff you buy.

When you're buying lumber you should know exactly what you're getting.
May 15, 2020
87 posts
58 upvotes
Thornhill ON
el'ation wrote: I went there last week.

It was largely like that in normal times, wasnt it. You could not browse and pick the lumber you wanted. They sold it to you in linear feet or whatever. The showroom was mainly for tools.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3759 posts
1092 upvotes
Oshawa
All the same shit ... Lowes, Home Depot, Rona.
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Oct 21, 2009
358 posts
165 upvotes
eforblue wrote: Thanks, I am new to this too. Since now working from home and have so much time, maybe I can trying making one :P

From my research, I think cedar would be more affordable, and redwood would be overkill for first-timer like me.

I will check out Century Mill Lumber which is not far from where I live. Maybe can also king cole duck which is kind of on the way too lol
You want cedar, or pine as a cheaper alternative.
PT should not be used for if you plan on eating whatever is growing inside.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2345 posts
312 upvotes
North York
Momentix wrote: The showroom was mainly for tools.
... and trim, hardware, and lots of trim.