Automotive

Any good locations for Android Auto/Car Play installs?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2016 11:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Any good locations for Android Auto/Car Play installs?

Anyone know of a good location that can install head units that either andriod auto or apple car play? GTA or Misssissauga area?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
If you're handy you can do the actual install yourself but the thing is you need to get the actual Android auto device. From my knowledge the good ones are from pioneer and they cost over 700 U$D.

Using Android auto for over a week now and I can say this is the future in car infotainment.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
masarwar wrote: If you're handy you can do the actual install yourself but the thing is you need to get the actual Android auto device. From my knowledge the good ones are from pioneer and they cost over 700 U$D.

Using Android auto for over a week now and I can say this is the future in car infotainment.
basic install would be doable. but i want the steering wheel control, voice control/dialing and reverse camera to work as well. I dont think those will be very easy. but then again there haven't been too much online guides for installs for these new devices so it's hard to say.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
masarwar wrote: If you're handy you can do the actual install yourself but the thing is you need to get the actual Android auto device. From my knowledge the good ones are from pioneer and they cost over 700 U$D.

I got my Android auto the hard way. Had to get a head unit with a new car wrapped around it!
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
Sicklyslick wrote: basic install would be doable. but i want the steering wheel control, voice control/dialing and reverse camera to work as well. I dont think those will be very easy. but then again there haven't been too much online guides for installs for these new devices so it's hard to say.
Does your car has factory steering wheel control and backup camera? The voice command goes straight to the head unit. Maybe post the type of the car you have and we can then help further thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
mr_raider wrote: I got my Android auto the hard way. Had to get a head unit with a new car wrapped around it!
LOL this made me laugh
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
masarwar wrote: Does your car has factory steering wheel control and backup camera? The voice command goes straight to the head unit. Maybe post the type of the car you have and we can then help further thanks.
It's 2016 WRX. I saw someone on Reddit that got a car play unit installed got for $700 parts and labor. The cost seems to be acceptable for me and I'd be willing to pay that much if I retain all the OEM functions.
Oct 29, 2008
646 posts
348 upvotes
L4J
What is the car model? Is it OEM unit?
Once found the installer on kijiji for $40 basic install

I did it by my self for my Camry a few times.

Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
^

+1 for DIY. Most cars are like lego when it comes to taking stuff apart.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
St.Genis wrote: What is the car model? Is it OEM unit?
Once found the installer on kijiji for $40 basic install

I did it by my self for my Camry a few times.

damn that looks pretty nice. its exactly what i wanted.

does your car have steering wheel control or reverse cam? did you have anything special to get those to work?
Oct 29, 2008
646 posts
348 upvotes
L4J
Sicklyslick wrote: damn that looks pretty nice. its exactly what i wanted.

does your car have steering wheel control or reverse cam? did you have anything special to get those to work?
Nothing special, just set steering wheel control and assemble reverse cam.

Image Image

Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
181 upvotes
North York
Do you like the Joying head unit? I've seen a lot of their promotional videos on YouTube (complete with the nearly impossible to understand English due to the thick as molasses Chinese accent). The integration looks good but the Chinese car stereos I've seen in person look very cheap.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Oct 29, 2008
646 posts
348 upvotes
L4J
JAGpilot wrote: Do you like the Joying head unit? I've seen a lot of their promotional videos on YouTube (complete with the nearly impossible to understand English due to the thick as molasses Chinese accent). The integration looks good but the Chinese car stereos I've seen in person look very cheap.
someone from Florida
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
Lockdown Security

It's not going to be cheap for Android Auto. Some of the older Pioneers support Apple Carplay but not AA, so you might get a discount on those or find a used model if Carplay is all you need.

Check out the Automate android app and a car mount. Does much of what Android Auto does at a fraction of the aftermarket cost.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MacGyver wrote: Lockdown Security

It's not going to be cheap for Android Auto. Some of the older Pioneers support Apple Carplay but not AA, so you might get a discount on those or find a used model if Carplay is all you need.

Check out the Automate android app and a car mount. Does much of what Android Auto does at a fraction of the aftermarket cost.
Thanks I'll shoot them an email and see what the costs are. Mounting an Android tablet should be okay as well.