Home & Garden

Any good nursery where I can buy a large tree?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2021 1:22 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON

Any good nursery where I can buy a large tree?

So I am looking to buy a larger tree and pay for delivery and for having it planted by the same ppl. Any recommendations for a good source?
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
25 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Requesting more info ...

Deciduous or Evergreen ?
Any particular type of tree ?
And how large are you thinking here

Cuz large is a relative term
6 feet, 10 feet tall, bigger ?
Feb 1, 2009
558 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
Interested as well, thinking of a putting in a cherry or sour cherry tree.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
Lots of guys out of Stouffville and north GTA.

Stevens large tree sales and Eagle something tree movers comes to mind.

Also Sheridan and Tree Valley (in Stouffville) have some pretty large trees.

Depends how big you need.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8251 posts
5752 upvotes
I wish I could just give you one of the gigantic trees I have :p
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Requesting more info ...

Deciduous or Evergreen ?
Any particular type of tree ?
And how large are you thinking here

Cuz large is a relative term
6 feet, 10 feet tall, bigger ?
Largest I can buy with 1k
Accent tree .no evergreen, need to add privacy to my backyard and a focal point
Thinking Japanese Blood Good or Emperror Maple. Open for suggestions
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Asriel wrote: Interested as well, thinking of a putting in a cherry or sour cherry tree.
Nice trees WHEN THEY ARE HEALTHY
But a huge disaster if they get Black Knot Disease
(Which happens to so many in the Cherry line)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibotryon_morbosum

Cuz of this ... my best advice is pick something else

Tell us what attracts you to a Cherry Tree (is it the fruit or the blossoms )
And maybe we can suggest something else
Feb 1, 2009
558 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Nice trees WHEN THEY ARE HEALTHY
But a huge disaster if they get Black Knot Disease
(Which happens to so many in the Cherry line)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibotryon_morbosum

Cuz of this ... my best advice is pick something else

Tell us what attracts you to a Cherry Tree (is it the fruit or the blossoms )
And maybe we can suggest something else
The fruit attracts me the most. Black Knot is that common? Feels like saying don’t have a child because they might get cancer...sometimes you have to take your chances.

But I’ll admit I’m a noob when it comes to these things.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
CuriousC wrote: Largest I can buy with 1k
Accent tree .no evergreen, need to add privacy to my backyard and a focal point
Thinking Japanese Blood Good or Emperror Maple. Open for suggestions
Moving and planting larger trees combined with the cost of the bigger tree itself.

Maybe you'd be best just going to a Sheridan or Tree valley or whatever nursery is close to you and seeing what they have in stock.

You can usually find a maple ~12-15 feet tall in a pot/bucket for maybe $4 or 500, and then pay $50? for delivery and then plant it yourself. Not really hard to move or dig a hole.

For something like Stevens, they won't be able to plant if for you because their truck/spade won't have access to your backyard. Probably need something you can dolly into the backyard without too much effort. So long story short, you might be able to get a slightly bigger tree and pay someone else to do it, but it will probably be double the price of the option above.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
Asriel wrote: The fruit attracts me the most. Black Knot is that common? Feels like saying don’t have a child because they might get cancer...sometimes you have to take your chances.

Also, there are a select few that are self pollinating, but for the main types of cherry trees you would have to plant at least 2 to get cross pollination going unless you already have another compatible tree nearby.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Moving and planting larger trees combined with the cost of the bigger tree itself.

Maybe you'd be best just going to a Sheridan or Tree valley or whatever nursery is close to you and seeing what they have in stock.

You can usually find a maple ~12-15 feet tall in a pot/bucket for maybe $4 or 500, and then pay $50? for delivery and then plant it yourself. Not really hard to move or dig a hole.

For something like Stevens, they won't be able to plant if for you because their truck/spade won't have access to your backyard. Probably need something you can dolly into the backyard without too much effort. So long story short, you might be able to get a slightly bigger tree and pay someone else to do it, but it will probably be double the price of the option above.
Stevens has only native trees it seems
Yeah went to Tree Valley and Sheridan yesterday
Sheridan is not yet fully stocked on trees, they are not bringing in the Japanse maples yet because they say they could still freeze
Tree valley has some Japanese maples but we got there around 5PM and they were closing

It seems that I would be spending around 500 or more for a 6-10' Japanese maple
My problem is that these are slow growers

I hate that Humber Nurseries don't do retail anymore although they moved closer to the city
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
Asriel wrote: The fruit attracts me the most. Black Knot is that common? Feels like saying don’t have a child because they might get cancer...sometimes you have to take your chances.

Yes, it is common, and the tree eventually succumbs. And it looks hideous until then. I don't recommend that anyone get a cherry tree (or anything in the prunus family) unless they live in the country and none of their neighbours have these trees. https://www.torontogardens.com/2009/04/ ... -spp.html/
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2565 posts
2828 upvotes
Montréal
I am fighting Black Knot on one of our cherry trees here (have lived here since 1998 and have been pruning branches since about 3 years) and it will probably be an eventual losing battle. They don't even sell them here much anymore because of all the issues.
Jul 12, 2019
53 posts
119 upvotes
Pricey and I don't think they will plant for you, but an option. Free delivery at least.

https://paramountnursery.ca/

EDIT: Noticed their Japanese Maples aren't in the tree category but in the shrub one, or you have to search for them.
Feb 26, 2019
626 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa
I recommend you get a serviceberry tree. The multi stemmed trees are really great looking trees for a small yard. Buy the biggest one you can find (probably will cost $500-600) that has 3-5 stems. There are many varieties, I like Autumn brilliance, myself.

Why service berry? Nice white flowers in the spring. Delicious edible berries in early summer (they are small so don’t make mess of your yard/patio like fruit trees). Great fall colour. Attractive smooth bark with interesting branch and trunk shape. Shade is light and won’t kill your grass.

It’s also native and hearty as anything. Low maintenance very few diseases. Every yard in Ontario should have one, in my opinion.
Mar 1, 2017
107 posts
69 upvotes
Humber doesn’t do retail but they are still open to the public.
You can check out their website and call and place an order and pickup.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
Van Dongen's Milton

We grabbed a Japanese Blood good last year (big one) and they installed it + warranty.

Also grabbed a set of large weeping Mulberries which they also installed.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
Cybersid wrote: Van Dongen's Milton

We grabbed a Japanese Blood good last year (big one) and they installed it + warranty.

Also grabbed a set of large weeping Mulberries which they also installed.
How big and how much did you pay for
-the tree
-delivery
-installing
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
SeanJ194 wrote: Humber doesn’t do retail but they are still open to the public.
You can check out their website and call and place an order and pickup.
that is interesting
So they will take any order for any amount as long as you go and pickup your order?
In general I like to pick my plant from the available ones ... at least for a big tree I would like to do that, will they allow me that ?

Edit: after checking their new location I am seeing it is actually farther from the City of Toronto than it used to be
When hey closed like 2y ago I think they announced a new location near Vaughan ..Did that change or my memory is letting me down ?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: How big and how much did you pay for
-the tree
-delivery
-installing
The tree was a mature bloodgood - about 10 feet tall - was around $1200, install/delivery was around $400 (Milton has CLAY under soil so I am not going to break my back digging). I did pay extra for warranty as the soil around here is really bad, builders basically built on crap.