Any good remedies for heel bursitis?

Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga

Any good remedies for heel bursitis?

https://www.healthline.com/health/bursitis-ankle

Almost certain this is my issue, it is now hurting to just walk on the left leg. I am going to get an xray but figured id ping anyone who has treated this in the past.

Feels like someone each morning is taking a good whack with a tiny hammer on the back of my heel generating some type of bone bruise!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4473 upvotes
West
Of course this isn't a substitute for actual medical advice from your doctor........ but:

Not sure if the x-ray will be too worthwhile. Maybe they'll find a small bone spur, but the finding doesn't change management one bit. Really, unless you're at high risk for fractures, or you smacked your heel pretty good on something, it's probably a waste of time... sometimes the medical system likes to get one though for no reason at all.

Does the pain alleviate after you walk around for a bit in the AM, or does it get worse with activity? Any swelling? Anything that could've started it (i.e. increase in activity)?

Standard treatment for a heel bursitis/bone spur/Achilles tendinopathy:
- Wear shoes (with arch support) throughout the day, especially in the AM
- You can tape your heel or use a heel lift in your shoes if it's really painful
- Pump your ankles for a few mins every AM before walking to "warm-up" the area
- Ice for 10-15 mins, as often as every 2 hours
- Avoid any walking uphill, running, jumping, or any other painful activity
- 2-4 week trial of OTC oral or topical NSAIDs (as long as your doctor says it's safe)
- Trial physio (i.e. pain-free stretches/strength) if not better in 2-4 weeks
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
dreaderus wrote: ...Feels like someone each morning is taking a good whack with a tiny hammer on the back of my heel generating some type of bone bruise!
U feel the pain in ur heel when getting out of bed in the morning? U already ruled out plantar fasciitis?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
Becks wrote: U feel the pain in ur heel when getting out of bed in the morning? U already ruled out plantar fasciitis?
Isn't plantar bottom of heel? This is definitely the area just under acchilea and above actual heel

It does get better eith walking but ow is noticeable all the time
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1263 posts
59 upvotes
Markham
I have the same problem actually caused by flat feet, I feel like since quarantine I've been spending a lot more time at home barefooted it has been getting worse. I try to wear slippers now when I'm walking around the house and has reduced the pain dramatically.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
Get a pair of runners with good support and wear them all the time inside the house. Don't wear an old pair that's half worn out. For outside boots etc. buy supportive insoles.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1459 upvotes
Regina
themagekiler wrote: I have the same problem actually caused by flat feet, I feel like since quarantine I've been spending a lot more time at home barefooted it has been getting worse. I try to wear slippers now when I'm walking around the house and has reduced the pain dramatically.
am sure that is me as well, the bursitis will come on all of the sudden....the first time i thought i snapped my achilles somehow....i try and get by with crutches and drugs and icepacks
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
dreaderus wrote: Isn't plantar bottom of heel? This is definitely the area just under acchilea and above actual heel

It does get better eith walking but ow is noticeable all the time
It can still be plantar fasciitis. Or caused by tighten calf muscle. If pain reduce significantly 10-15 minutes after waking up, then it’s highly plantar fasciitis.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
Inclemental wrote: It can still be plantar fasciitis. Or caused by tighten calf muscle. If pain reduce significantly 10-15 minutes after waking up, then it’s highly plantar fasciitis.
yeah maybe but some days its hurting the entire day just to walk not excruciating pain but pain
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1132 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
dreaderus wrote: yeah maybe but some days its hurting the entire day just to walk not excruciating pain but pain
Try to get a night splint with toe lift. That will help reducing pain in the morning if you have plantar fasciitis. This is a cheap way to remediate the pain before finding out your actual problem with health care professions.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4473 upvotes
West
dreaderus wrote: yeah maybe but some days its hurting the entire day just to walk not excruciating pain but pain
... have you even tried any of the recommendations listed in this thread?

It's hard to give you advice if you keep giving us one liners.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
4111 posts
861 upvotes
Mississauga
Phonophoresis wrote: ... have you even tried any of the recommendations listed in this thread?

It's hard to give you advice if you keep giving us one liners.
Appreciate the feedback on the thread i am trying some of the things, however if you observe someone replied to the thread quite a while later, so my one liner was to respond respectively to his feedback directly. I will update the thread when i have some tangible results from the efforts of those to help including yourself in this thread. Had some family issues recently so a sore foot hasn't been top of the list!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
dreaderus wrote: https://www.healthline.com/health/bursitis-ankle

Almost certain this is my issue, it is now hurting to just walk on the left leg. I am going to get an xray but figured id ping anyone who has treated this in the past.

Feels like someone each morning is taking a good whack with a tiny hammer on the back of my heel generating some type of bone bruise!
OP there is another possible diagnosis for what you have. Look up Insertional Achilles Tendonitis.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)