• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2017 11:29 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5041 posts
5840 upvotes

Any good A/S tires for all year round for GTA

Is there any good A/S tires that is good enough for all year round? I mostly drive in GTA, and I have a 2009 VW Tiguan. I have been using winter tires, but tired of doing the tire changeover twice a year, and want to see if I can just go without winter tires.

I have been eyeing on the Pirelli P7 Cinturato AS Plus, and wonder if it's good for the winter here.
Last edited by BB88 on Jun 21st, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27760 posts
12832 upvotes
Toronto
go with All weather tire then. There are pros and cons of both types, obviously.
Feb 29, 2016
228 posts
78 upvotes
Been driving an AWD Venza since 2009. Never used anything but Michelin Latitudes. No problems around the GTA.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15125 posts
16109 upvotes
Oakville
Are you getting them changed over at a shop? It's only a 30 min job to do at home yourself (assuming your have your winters on a spare set of wheels, swapping tires on the same set of rims is silly). Keep in mind that you'll lose your insurance discount for them, so be sure to inform them that you are no longer using them to avoid voiding your insurance policy.

If you must go all season, then the Michelin A/S3+ would be the way to go.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... 55WR7PSAS3
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5041 posts
5840 upvotes
engineered wrote: Are you getting them changed over at a shop? It's only a 30 min job to do at home yourself (assuming your have your winters on a spare set of wheels, swapping tires on the same set of rims is silly). Keep in mind that you'll lose your insurance discount for them, so be sure to inform them that you are no longer using them to avoid voiding your insurance policy.

Yes, I have it done at a shop. I have tried doing it myself, and thought it's too much effort. Yes, they are on separate rims.

Just wondering why would you recommend the Michelin over the Pirelli? The Pirelli seems to have much better reviews on tirerack.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... &tab=Sizes
Feb 29, 2016
228 posts
78 upvotes
In my case, in the 8 years I've had the Venza, I only tried one set of tires besides Michelins, they were Pirelli's. Without question the worst tires I've ever owned and I've been driving for over 35 years.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21679 posts
2454 upvotes
engineered wrote: Are you getting them changed over at a shop? It's only a 30 min job to do at home yourself (assuming your have your winters on a spare set of wheels, swapping tires on the same set of rims is silly). Keep in mind that you'll lose your insurance discount for them, so be sure to inform them that you are no longer using them to avoid voiding your insurance policy.

The AS3+ performance in snow or even cold is not that great. I would not want to be in more than a few cm of snow with them on. It would not be a fun winter.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5041 posts
5840 upvotes
OffGridGuy wrote: In my case, in the 8 years I've had the Venza, I only tried one set of tires besides Michelins, they were Pirelli's. Without question the worst tires I've ever owned and I've been driving for over 35 years.
For sure a brand cannot tell everything about all its tires. I have also had Michelin's A/S on my previous car, and I also thought it's the worst tires ever, but the Michelin X-Ice I currently have are great.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15125 posts
16109 upvotes
Oakville
BB88 wrote: Yes, I have it done at a shop. I have tried doing it myself, and thought it's too much effort. Yes, they are on separate rims.

Just wondering why would you recommend the Michelin over the Pirelli? The Pirelli seems to have much better reviews on tirerack.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... &tab=Sizes
Not sure what you mean. The A/S3+ beats every tire in every category, including Pirelli, though the Cintauro comes close. I've also personally heard many high praises for the A/S3+ and almost never about Pirellis. Though given the $20 cheaper price of the Pirelli, I might be persuaded to give them a chance.

Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15125 posts
16109 upvotes
Oakville
Kasakato wrote: The AS3+ performance in snow or even cold is not that great. I would not want to be in more than a few cm of snow with them on. It would not be a fun winter.
Agreed, I would go for winter tires 100% in the winter and summer tires in the summer. But the A/S3+ appears to be the highest rated all season for snow. Personally if I had to run only 1 tire I'd run winter tires all year for the winter security. Downside is that they'd wear quickly in the summer and have less dry grip.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21679 posts
2454 upvotes
engineered wrote: Agreed, I would go for winter tires 100% in the winter and summer tires in the summer. But the A/S3+ appears to be the highest rated all season for snow. Personally if I had to run only 1 tire I'd run winter tires all year for the winter security. Downside is that they'd wear quickly in the summer and have less dry grip.
It's top in its category for UHP AS. Driving on snow is adequate, similar to the DWS06 which is respectable. Ice is where you start wishing you own winters.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5041 posts
5840 upvotes
engineered wrote: Not sure what you mean. The A/S3+ beats every tire in every category, including Pirelli, though the Cintauro comes close. I've also personally heard many high praises for the A/S3+ and almost never about Pirellis. Though given the $20 cheaper price of the Pirelli, I might be persuaded to give them a chance.
You must have linked the wrong Michelin (A/S 3 instead of A/S 3+) in your original post, where the original A/S 3's review are pretty bad). I'll give the A/S 3+ a look.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2721 posts
538 upvotes
What size tire? I see some of these tires esp the AS3+ everybody talks about, not available in 195 60 15 :( My 98 volvo s70 se gets no love from the nice tires
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15125 posts
16109 upvotes
Oakville
westnylefx wrote: What size tire? I see some of these tires esp the AS3+ everybody talks about, not available in 195 60 15 :( My 98 volvo s70 se gets no love from the nice tires
Check in the spare tire section :P
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2721 posts
538 upvotes
engineered wrote: Check in the spare tire section :P
lol. what about michelins for 105 a tire the defender H's.