Careers

Any good software companies to work for?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2012 9:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes

Any good software companies to work for?

Do you know any good computer-software companies to work for? (ie. work/life balance, yearly bonuses, good work culture/environment, low turnover where most employees stay for 3-5 years). More specifically, a privately held company with approximately 200-500 employees in Toronto, Mississauga or Markham.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
world25 wrote: Do you know any good computer-software companies to work for? (ie. work/life balance, yearly bonuses, good work culture/environment, low turnover where most employees stay for 3-5 years). More specifically, a privately held company with approximately 200-500 employees in Toronto, Mississauga or Markham.
How smart are you? ... lol
There's Google in KW and Amazon in Toronto, that kind of fits what you are looking for - question is whether you can get in ;) .
At the same time, you don't seem to be interested in challenging role (by virtue of the work in the industry, 200-500 employees indicate that you won't learn too much compared to start up environment).
May 28, 2012
92 posts
7 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
i think softchoice in toronto is a pretty big company
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
150 upvotes
damnos wrote: At the same time, you don't seem to be interested in challenging role (by virtue of the work in the industry, 200-500 employees indicate that you won't learn too much compared to start up environment).
:facepalm:

You obviously haven't worked in many companies, the size of the company have nothing to do with how much you can learn.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
Buddy of mine works at NexJ ... seems to enjoy it.
Dec 12, 2007
395 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Vision Critical is a market research/software company with an office down town Toronto. Headquarters in Vancouver, probably around 5-600 employees globally.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far!
damnos wrote: How smart are you? ... lol
There's Google in KW and Amazon in Toronto, that kind of fits what you are looking for - question is whether you can get in ;) .
At the same time, you don't seem to be interested in challenging role (by virtue of the work in the industry, 200-500 employees indicate that you won't learn too much compared to start up environment).
I have no intention to work for companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, RIM, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. It's just a personal choice to work for a company with 200-500 employees (appears to be more stable than a start up company). But, I already know that nothing is stable in this economy. For now, I'm keeping a list of good companies to work for even though I am not really looking for opportunities right now.
maddydo wrote: i think softchoice in toronto is a pretty big company
I read online reviews. Sounds like a good company.
KevC wrote: Buddy of mine works at NexJ ... seems to enjoy it.
There are mixed reviews on glassdoor recently (especially in 2012). They hire mostly Waterloo co-op students and graduates (just by looking on linkedin itself). It's definitely a fast growing software company though.
Mazman08 wrote: Vision Critical is a market research/software company with an office down town Toronto. Headquarters in Vancouver, probably around 5-600 employees globally.
I remember applying to this company last year but I didn't get a reply.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Xiaohaibao wrote: :facepalm:

You obviously haven't worked in many companies, the size of the company have nothing to do with how much you can learn.
Lol you obviously haven`t been on both sides.
While it`s still a generalization - (most) start up companies definitely give a ton of opportunities to experiment and learn a lot of new things (as well as getting a lot more responsibilities) than (most) established companies. Just for example, in a company of hundreds of people, a lot more likely than not there`s a specific team to do release (release engineering team, deployment team, etc), something that start up companies won`t have luxury to and thus the devs often need to be involved in those kind of work - just something small, simple and specific example that extend a lot further to every area of experiences that you earn from start up vs established companies.