Pets

Any good temporary home for a pet cat for a reasonable price (if not for free)?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 2:24 am
[OP]
Jul 8, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes

Any good temporary home for a pet cat for a reasonable price (if not for free)?

We are moving to a different country and we have no friends or family members who are willing to take the cat in temporarily. So our only option is to hand her over to pet shelters where she'll be adopted. Under normal circumstances, we would take her with us but relocating her costs above 4k due to corona and such. Also there is no guarantee she will live a healthy life in that country due to climate change and other factors. We really would like to get her back in a year or so once everything gets a little better and we financially stabilize. It feels like we are abandoning her but it doesn't seem like we have any other choice. Can you guys give me some advices?

We currently reside in Toronto, Ontario. She is vaccinated and spayed.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3839 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
Truthfully, it's best for the cat to be adopted by another loving family. She will not remember you in a year when you want her back.

Any more details? How old is she? Friendly? Gets along with other cats? Kids?
[OP]
Jul 8, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes
flamez1000 wrote: Truthfully, it's best for the cat to be adopted by another loving family. She will not remember you in a year when you want her back.

Any more details? How old is she? Friendly? Gets along with other cats? Kids?
she is 3 years old. Not very friendly due to kitten trauma. My dad found her crying in the bushes on a rainy night at 2 weeks old or so abandoned by her mom. She is a wild cat but has a hard time being outside eventhough her instinct prefers that. She might eventually learn to adapt and we hope that happens. Anything is better than the government euthanizing her because of her anxiety which is what we fear.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
DeluxeDeals wrote: she is 3 years old. Not very friendly due to kitten trauma. My dad found her crying in the bushes on a rainy night at 2 weeks old or so abandoned by her mom. She is a wild cat but has a hard time being outside eventhough her instinct prefers that. She might eventually learn to adapt and we hope that happens. Anything is better than the government euthanizing her because of her anxiety which is what we fear.
I think the problem you have is that you're probably right. She is probably not the most adoptable and that's a sad thing. Just as bad is that even if someone adopted her and loved her, are they then after all that going to give her back after a year? It doesn't seem reasonable from the other person's perspective. If you had to leave her, I would find a "no kill" shelter (and if you can, leave a donation), but I doubt anywhere would take her and also promise you can have her back when you want.

What is your plan after a year? You would move back to Toronto, or the person who takes her would have to send her to you in another country?

I get that money can be an issue, and I'm not judging at all if that's the case, but I would find a way to take her if you want to keep her. $4k isn't really any more than one vet surgery bill. There's also the fact that caring for a cat costs money. Depending on the type of food, whether the adopter takes her for a vet check up, toys, litter, etc., they could easily be looking at $1k for the year. It's not realistic that someone is going to do all of this for free when they don't know you and it's not even going to be "their cat". I really do hope that it works out for you but I find it difficult to see a situation where a stranger is going to agree to be your cat sitter for a year without charging a hefty amount. I personally wouldn't even bring that up, because it would probably put off would-be adopters just by mentioning it.
Feb 11, 2009
389 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Manatus wrote: I think the problem you have is that you're probably right. She is probably not the most adoptable and that's a sad thing. Just as bad is that even if someone adopted her and loved her, are they then after all that going to give her back after a year? It doesn't seem reasonable from the other person's perspective. If you had to leave her, I would find a "no kill" shelter (and if you can, leave a donation), but I doubt anywhere would take her and also promise you can have her back when you want.

What is your plan after a year? You would move back to Toronto, or the person who takes her would have to send her to you in another country?

I get that money can be an issue, and I'm not judging at all if that's the case, but I would find a way to take her if you want to keep her. $4k isn't really any more than one vet surgery bill. There's also the fact that caring for a cat costs money. Depending on the type of food, whether the adopter takes her for a vet check up, toys, litter, etc., they could easily be looking at $1k for the year. It's not realistic that someone is going to do all of this for free when they don't know you and it's not even going to be "their cat". I really do hope that it works out for you but I find it difficult to see a situation where a stranger is going to agree to be your cat sitter for a year without charging a hefty amount. I personally wouldn't even bring that up, because it would probably put off would-be adopters just by mentioning it.
I think if OP bring his/her cat to a shelter, it's better for him/her to disclose any issue or emotional support that cat will need. It's better that way than letting the shelter find out later and the cat will need to go through more stress.

In BC, there are no-kill shelters. I know of one that has a sanctuary that keeps cats that's not best for adoption. And they even have outdoor space for those cats to run around. (It's Regional Animal Protection Society) My current cat is adopted from them. :)
They made sure that we had window screens installed before we took the cat home. Cos he was found as a stray and likley jumped out from some condo window..... We lived in a condo back then.

Good luck with your move.
Sep 12, 2011
104 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Find a reputable rescue and explain your circumstances. As someone else has mentioned - please leave them a good sized donation as well! It takes a lot of work and money to run a rescue.

Out of curiosity, what country are you moving to and what are your concerns?