Home & Garden

Any humane way to get rid of woodchucks?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 11:55 pm
[OP]
Aug 8, 2021
2 posts

Any humane way to get rid of woodchucks?

A whole family lives under my shed. Cute animals but destructive too.

Thanks
66 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1209 posts
2200 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Evacuate them from under the shed then screw chicken wire around the base of your shed and burry it under the grass/soil about 1 or 2 ft out so they can't dig under it again. They'll try at first but give up when they hit the wire mesh and move on. Worked for me with both of my sheds.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4142 posts
2925 upvotes
Montreal
Its likely what's under your shed is one of their many burrow exits, you can try to seal around the shed but they'll probably continue to walk over above ground to eat whatever they were eating before. The only long term solution is trap and relocate/kill, which needed to be repeated whenever a new one moves in.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26037 posts
10720 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Give them lots of wood to chuck, film the result and put it on Youtube.
The ad revenue will pay for pest control.
/s
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes
ahmadxy wrote: A whole family lives under my shed. Cute animals but destructive too.

Thanks
Motion activated sprinkler
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Its likely what's under your shed is one of their many burrow exits, you can try to seal around the shed but they'll probably continue to walk over above ground to eat whatever they were eating before. The only long term solution is trap and relocate/kill, which needed to be repeated whenever a new one moves in.
Your philosphy working against nature is frightening. You want him to kill this lovely specimen?

Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4142 posts
2925 upvotes
Montreal
Katedontbreak wrote: Your philosphy working against nature is frightening. You want him to kill this lovely specimen?
Seems you are just making stuff up or pick part of people's post so you can lecture people and feel big on the internet. I told him the choices he have, and he can choose to relocate or get rid of it.

Don't be an RFD dick swinger.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6949 posts
4677 upvotes
SW ON
Katedontbreak wrote: Your philosphy working against nature is frightening. You want him to kill this lovely specimen?
Come back when you have this problem. We'll see what you will say then.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6597 posts
6073 upvotes
If they're anything like groundhogs - this may help. OP what is the material of your shed floor? Previous owner put a wood floor for some reason and groundhogs started living and/or burrowing tunnels underneath the shed. I had to remove all the wood and put patio stones and filled the tunnels up around the shed. For the first year or so the continued to dig up new ones but it's been 4 years and they're permanently gone without having to resort trapping or killing. If that's not an option for you, hire a pest control company that will humanely relocate them for you. There is no need to kill when there are other options...if anything for karma.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6949 posts
4677 upvotes
SW ON
hierophant wrote: If they're anything like groundhogs - this may help.
I was sure that woodchucks and groundhogs are the same animals.
EDIT: Yes, from Wikipedia: The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as a woodchuck...

But this is worrying: "Groundhogs are an extremely intelligent animal forming complex social networks, able to understand social behavior, form kinship with their young, understand and communicate threats through whistling, and work cooperatively to solve tasks such as burrowing."
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6597 posts
6073 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I was sure that woodchucks and groundhogs are the same animals.
EDIT: Yes, from Wikipedia: The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as a woodchuck...

But this is worrying: "Groundhogs are an extremely intelligent animal forming complex social networks, able to understand social behavior, form kinship with their young, understand and communicate threats through whistling, and work cooperatively to solve tasks such as burrowing."
I was wondering that...I hardly hear 'woodchuck'....I only know it from a rhyme as a kid. Must be a geographic thing. Good to know!

Except digging up holes in my lawn they didn't do any other damage - the wood floor was already rotting. I was able to get rid of them easily and quickly without much experience or knowledge so I trust it should be the same for others.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1923 posts
651 upvotes
ORLEANS
lol i just got rid of mine like 2 months ago. under the platform to the entrance of my house. i just shoved a 2 2x4 in the hole. it came back but saw his burrow entrance filled with 2 2x4 and left. never came back. never saw it on cam

2x4 is a temporary fix until i get interlock installed to extend my driveway to park another car in september.

i was planning to get a trap from CT for like $75 and trap it and release/kill
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Come back when you have this problem. We'll see what you will say then.
I dont have this problem because I built a proper shed.
Feb 11, 2011
7 posts
Richmond hill
How much can your woodchuck chuck, if your woodchuck could chuck wood??
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4618 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
Bullet to the head is pretty humane.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26037 posts
10720 upvotes
Socially Distanced
torontotim wrote: Bullet to the head is pretty humane.
You are lucky we don't still have downvote ability :facepalm:
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Seems you are just making stuff up or pick part of people's post so you can lecture people and feel big on the internet. I told him the choices he have, and he can choose to relocate or get rid of it.

Don't be an RFD dick swinger.
We must all remember before harsh action, it is not the woodchuck that is on our property, so much as we are on the woodchucks' property.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6949 posts
4677 upvotes
SW ON
Katedontbreak wrote: We must all remember before harsh action, it is not the woodchuck that is on our property, so much as we are on the woodchucks' property.
That's not what my deed says. Should we all move back into the womb?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7495 posts
4124 upvotes
Debtario
alpovs wrote: "Groundhogs are an extremely intelligent animal forming complex social networks, able to understand social behavior, form kinship with their young, understand and communicate threats through whistling, and work cooperatively to solve tasks such as burrowing."
Wow, groundhogs are way ahead of 90% of my coworkers. If we were that coordinated imagine what we could accomplish.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)