Travel

Any ideas for a 8 - 9 hour road trip from Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2013 10:50 pm
Jan 19, 2013
332 posts
313 upvotes

Any ideas for a 8 - 9 hour road trip from Toronto

Hi all , I have seen Quebec , Ottawa , Montreal and Mont Tremblant .. I was just wondering for the long weekend coming up where can I go on a long drive .. I do not have a US visa .. I plan to have the trip for 4 days ..

One thing I was thinking is , if I take a bus to Montreal and then drive from Montreal to Halifax .. Did anybody try this ?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
Without stops or bad weather or construction or heavy traffic, Halifax is about 12 to 13 hours from Montreal. It's more when you add in everything else.

If you only have 4 days, Halifax is not a good vacation from Toronto unless you are flying.
Jan 19, 2013
332 posts
313 upvotes
hi FunSave22 ,thanks for the reply .. any suggestions on other places I can drive to ..
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1223 upvotes
Halifax
Maybe to Algonquin National Park? Although it likely will be crowded the long weekend.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Kingston, thousand islands?
Jan 19, 2013
332 posts
313 upvotes
thanks all .. I have already been to Kingston , 1000 islands .. Algonquin not sure , will it be good during March end ? any other suggestions ..
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
I once drove to Wawa on a whim from Ottawa. Not sure I'd recommend it, but it does allow me to say I've been to North Bay, Sudbury, Manitoulin Island, Timmins, Rouyn Noranda, Val D'or, Verendrye Park and Maniwaki. You can save gas money by doing it via Google Street View. It think it was this time of year when I did my trip. The transition from winter to spring was pretty cool as I drove south (although it led to snow fog).

It's a good region to explore pre-bug season. From an antropological point of view, the many aboriginal communities are interesting, as well as other Canadians up there for the mining. A guaranteed change of scenery/people from Toronto, if that is what you are after, as Northern Ontario and the Abitibi are very distinct regions from their respective provinces.

You could cross country ski in places that still have snow (like Algonquin park).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
MonctonMan wrote: I once drove to Wawa on a whim from Ottawa. Not sure I'd recommend it, but it does allow me to say I've been to North Bay, Sudbury, Manitoulin Island, Timmins, Rouyn Noranda, Val D'or, Verendrye Park and Maniwaki. You can save gas money by doing it via Google Street View. It think it was this time of year when I did my trip. The transition from winter to spring was pretty cool as I drove south (although it led to snow fog).

It's a good region to explore pre-bug season. From an antropological point of view, the many aboriginal communities are interesting, as well as other Canadians up there for the mining. A guaranteed change of scenery/people from Toronto, if that is what you are after, as Northern Ontario and the Abitibi are very distinct regions from their respective provinces.

You could cross country ski in place that still have snow (like Algonquin park).
Wawa is a pretty depressing place :( . I remember flying in there on a C172 and thinking I was stuck there for the night because my fuel gauges stopped working :( .
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I enjoyed a road trip around Georgian Bay, but March might be too cold.

Always want to do another one around Lake Superior.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
WhatADeal! wrote: I enjoyed a road trip around Georgian Bay, but March might be too cold.
You can't go around it until the ferry starts running in May. But Manitoulin Island gives you the impression of being in Georgian Bay.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Jan 19, 2013
332 posts
313 upvotes
thanks all for all the suggestions .. really helpful .. today I went to the Ontario Tourism Office at Dundas Sqaure on Toronto .. they suggested me this -> http://www.pelee.org/ .. ( Pelee Islands ) .. did anybody try this before ? The Ferry opens on long weekend March 29'th ..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
In the summer, Sand Banks. The area is in a NAtional park. Beautiful in summer. Never tried in winter.
Oct 21, 2009
538 posts
669 upvotes
Go to Bruce County, you can stay near great beaches in Kincardine or Saugeen Shores. Go up to Tobermory then take the ferry to Manitoulin island.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
There's really not much on the island other than a winery. But there are wineries on the mainland too. There are some nice beaches, but nobody would be there at this time. The island is basically a side trip if you're there visiting the National Park anyway.
Jan 19, 2013
332 posts
313 upvotes
Thanks all for the wonderful suggestions ... I now have a lot of places to plan for in the summer :) however for this weekend I ultimately decided on going to http://www.diefenbunker.ca/en_index.shtml and then go to Mt Tremblant .. stay there overnight and come back on Sunday .. thanks again ...
Jan 19, 2013
332 posts
313 upvotes
ultimately I ended up going to diefenbunker and Ottawa .. diefenbunker we took the guided tour and it was very good , we really enjoyed that a lot .. it was good to learn about things like once Canada government said it will help funding in part to anybody who wants to build a bunker below his house , a lot of stories like that :P .. Ottawa also was really nice, spend a considerable portion of our time roaming in the Byward market area ..