• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2017 9:58 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1787 posts
83 upvotes

Any input on pot and pan sets?

Looking for a new set.
Bestbuy has a few sets on. Paderno for $149 or the Cuisinart MCP for $249.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/pa ... 90205.aspx?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/cu ... 98569.aspx?

The Bay has the Henkels Vistaclad for $299 before $25 coupon

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 20-000--24

Any thoughts?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1153 posts
298 upvotes
I really like Paderno and think they make great stuff. Also check out Canadian Tire as they often have good sales on cooking sets. Costco is another place to check out if you have a membership. They have their Kirkland brand in both Stainless Steel and Hard Anodized and I'd put them up against any. I purchased a stainless steel set at Costco some years back and it's still going strong. It was their Kirkland brand and came with a copper base for even heat distribution.

If possible, when buying Stainless Steel, try and get a set with a copper core or copper layer at the base. It really makes a difference in heat distribution and prevents hot spots from forming. Stainless Steel can be a real pain without it.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1634 posts
875 upvotes
Vancouver
MikeAK wrote: I really like Paderno and think they make great stuff. Also check out Canadian Tire as they often have good sales on cooking sets. Costco is another place to check out if you have a membership. They have their Kirkland brand in both Stainless Steel and Hard Anodized and I'd put them up against any. I purchased a stainless steel set at Costco some years back and it's still going strong. It was their Kirkland brand and came with a copper base for even heat distribution.

If possible, when buying Stainless Steel, try and get a set with a copper core or copper layer at the base. It really makes a difference in heat distribution and prevents hot spots from forming. Stainless Steel can be a real pain without it.
To add to this a bit:

My dad has some canadian made paderno stuff, and they're great. The china-made one's aren't as good

When buying stainless steel, a tri-play is usually stainless steel - aluminium core - stainless steel. The copper core isn't necessarily better at heat conduction than aluminium, but it depends on the quality and thickness of the metals, which basically drives price. You pay for what you get.

Ideally for pans, you want it thick and clad all the way to the rim, not just a disk at the bottom. Thicker is better, but it adds weight and cost, so there's a balance for your wallet. For stock pots, just a base is fine (see how Deymere does it) but typically in the mid-range you'll see it clad all the way up. It's not a big deal if it's clad along the side for the pots/sauciers.

If you've never used stainless steel pans, then HOLD on, you may want to consider cast iron / carbon steel, or the aforementioned canadian made padernos. ss pans require a bit of skill and attention to cook well. If you don't have the patience, you're going to have a lot of stuck on mess. Google for the benefits of cast iron / carbon steel pans vs ss pans. I also strongly suggest a enameled vessel for braising or making acidic foods if you do get a CI/CS pan. A lagostina from canadian tire is perfectly fine, no need for a staub or le crueset.

OP, if you really want a set on one of the 3 sets there, I would only get the henkel vistas.

If you wanted to spend less, you can also consider these:
https://www.zwilling.ca/product/sol-ii- ... kware-set/
https://www.zwilling.ca/product/joy-12pc-cookware-set/

The joy has welded handles, so you don't have the rivets to deal with, which can be a pain to clean, but they're fairly light.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1787 posts
83 upvotes
Sypsy wrote: To add to this a bit:

My dad has some canadian made paderno stuff, and they're great. The china-made one's aren't as good

When buying stainless steel, a tri-play is usually stainless steel - aluminium core - stainless steel. The copper core isn't necessarily better at heat conduction than aluminium, but it depends on the quality and thickness of the metals, which basically drives price. You pay for what you get.

Ideally for pans, you want it thick and clad all the way to the rim, not just a disk at the bottom. Thicker is better, but it adds weight and cost, so there's a balance for your wallet. For stock pots, just a base is fine (see how Deymere does it) but typically in the mid-range you'll see it clad all the way up. It's not a big deal if it's clad along the side for the pots/sauciers.

If you've never used stainless steel pans, then HOLD on, you may want to consider cast iron / carbon steel, or the aforementioned canadian made padernos. ss pans require a bit of skill and attention to cook well. If you don't have the patience, you're going to have a lot of stuck on mess. Google for the benefits of cast iron / carbon steel pans vs ss pans. I also strongly suggest a enameled vessel for braising or making acidic foods if you do get a CI/CS pan. A lagostina from canadian tire is perfectly fine, no need for a staub or le crueset.

OP, if you really want a set on one of the 3 sets there, I would only get the henkel vistas.

If you wanted to spend less, you can also consider these:
https://www.zwilling.ca/product/sol-ii- ... kware-set/
https://www.zwilling.ca/product/joy-12pc-cookware-set/

The joy has welded handles, so you don't have the rivets to deal with, which can be a pain to clean, but they're fairly light.
Thanks.
Don't really like the handles on the joy and the sol is the same price as the Vista.
Trying to stick to a rough budget so the all clad is out.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1634 posts
875 upvotes
Vancouver
oh, I wasn't mentioning the all-clad brand, I was talking about whether the aluminium clad tri-play part of the pan goes all the way up. For henkels, that would be like the tru-clad line and higher.

edit: see that someone suggested the all-clad, I personally think they're a bit expensive for what they are, and their traditional handle has a very specific way of holding that otherwise hurts when held normally

For anyone looking to spend that cash, I'd probably do the henkels sensation, it's based on the demeyere brand, the welded handles will age better than any riveted handles
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1787 posts
83 upvotes
I ended up ordering the Cuisinart MCP set from Amazon for $179. Same set as bestbuy has on.
Amazon had an amazing price on the AllClad D5 10 piece set yesterday. $650. I was really tempted but...
Well use this and if we want better we can buy a new set or add a piece at a time.
They had some good deals on the Zwilling website but again, we'll settle for this for now.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 12, 2005
2319 posts
249 upvotes
North York
Kaz wrote: I ended up ordering the Cuisinart MCP set from Amazon for $179. Same set as bestbuy has on.
Amazon had an amazing price on the AllClad D5 10 piece set yesterday. $650. I was really tempted but...
Well use this and if we want better we can buy a new set or add a piece at a time.
They had some good deals on the Zwilling website but again, we'll settle for this for now.
Good choice. I recommend starting with the MCP or Kirkland set when first starting out - decent quality and reasonably priced. Plus great warranty (Cuisinart warranty center is located in Markham I believe, and Costco, well you know).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2004
1570 posts
593 upvotes
You should place an order with Belinda from Steeles Pots and Pans.
Always in search of a great deal....

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)