Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1110 posts
815 upvotes
Moncton

Any insurance adjusters on here?

I had an incident with my car that I think should be covered under my comprehensive coverage, but my insurance agent can't or won't confirm whether the situation is covered under comprehensive or collision. They say I need to open a claim before they can give me an answer. A comprehensive claim won't hurt my rates, but a collision claim would screw me. The problem is I can't get an answer unless I open a claim.

Are the any adjusters on here for questions such as this?
24 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe ask the question here?
We probably not adjusters but some of us may have experience with the same incidents,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 30, 2011
196 posts
174 upvotes
Maybe explain the situation and you could get some input...
Dec 3, 2009
993 posts
615 upvotes
Vancouver
Does simply opening a claim hurt your future rates, even if it's determined to fall under collision, as long as you don't follow through with repairs?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19136 posts
19010 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just came in to say I’m not an insurance adjuster.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4374 posts
3221 upvotes
Edmonton
oIIIIIo wrote: I had an incident with my car that I think should be covered under my comprehensive coverage, but my insurance agent can't or won't confirm whether the situation is covered under comprehensive or collision. They say I need to open a claim before they can give me an answer. A comprehensive claim won't hurt my rates, but a collision claim would screw me. The problem is I can't get an answer unless I open a claim.

Been an adjuster for many years. Feel free to PM or post here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37792 posts
23873 upvotes
Center of Universe
Was your vehicle parked?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4374 posts
3221 upvotes
Edmonton
I'll just add that this is a sign of a not very good agent. A good agent will advocate for you.

I can understand that an agent does not want to render his input so as not to get into the "...but you told me it would be..." situation but any good agent will render an opinion without commitment. The purpose of an agent is to provide advice. If the agent has no clue about whether a claim might or not be covered, you should really look for a better agent.

Personally, I prefer to buy online but that is only because of my knowledge so I can comfortably bypass the agent. I've been told things by agents in the past that I know are just not accurate but just bite my tongue.
Mar 28, 2016
314 posts
440 upvotes
I think it would be beneficial to post as it would help others would could potentially in be in a similar situation in the future and allows for open discussion.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37792 posts
23873 upvotes
Center of Universe
starchoice wrote: I'll just add that this is a sign of a not very good agent. A good agent will advocate for you.

I can understand that an agent does not want to render his input so as not to get into the "...but you told me it would be..." situation but any good agent will render an opinion without commitment. The purpose of an agent is to provide advice. If the agent has no clue about whether a claim might or not be covered, you should really look for a better agent.

Personally, I prefer to buy online but that is only because of my knowledge so I can comfortably bypass the agent. I've been told things by agents in the past that I know are just not accurate but just bite my tongue.
Agents are not adjusters.
Why would you want them to provide information that is out of their scope?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11526 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
More info needed! Experts are standing by.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26705 posts
5825 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Agents are not adjusters.
Why would you want them to provide information that is out of their scope?
Agents are typically experienced and knowledgeable.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37792 posts
23873 upvotes
Center of Universe
Shaner wrote: Agents are typically experienced and knowledgeable.
Few and far between from my experience and I've cycled through 6 different insurers.
Feb 25, 2004
574 posts
261 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote: I had an incident with my car that I think should be covered under my comprehensive coverage, but my insurance agent can't or won't confirm whether the situation is covered under comprehensive or collision. They say I need to open a claim before they can give me an answer. A comprehensive claim won't hurt my rates, but a collision claim would screw me. The problem is I can't get an answer unless I open a claim.

I am an examiner, previously was an adjuster and SIU investigator so I have some knowledge

if you hit or were hit by an object on the road or another vehicle it's collision
the only impact claim that would be comprehensive is falling objects IE hail, a rock etc... or animal impact (hitting a carcass on the road is a grey area some may rate it collision others may not))

without knowing the situation that's all i can provide, if you have a broker they should be able to consult you before making a claim. If you provide more details here that would help your cause
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37792 posts
23873 upvotes
Center of Universe
kyfe wrote: I am an examiner, previously was an adjuster and SIU investigator so I have some knowledge

if you hit or were hit by an object on the road or another vehicle it's collision
the only impact claim that would be comprehensive is falling objects IE hail, a rock etc... or animal impact (hitting a carcass on the road is a grey area some may rate it collision others may not))

without knowing the situation that's all i can provide, if you have a broker they should be able to consult you before making a claim. If you provide more details here that would help your cause
"my insurance agent can't or won't confirm whether the situation is covered under comprehensive or collision"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1110 posts
815 upvotes
Moncton
Roof rack carrying two kayaks detached from car on highway. No other cars involved, but roof was damaged and back window broken. Rack was in good shape and properly installed. Speed was under the speed limit. From marks on the roof, it looks like one side got pushed back, the whole thing rotated and quickly detached from car. Should this be covered by comprehensive, not covered at all, or covered under collision?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6687 posts
4255 upvotes
Toronto
oIIIIIo wrote: Roof rack carrying two kayaks detached from car on highway. No other cars involved, but roof was damaged and back window broken. Rack was in good shape and properly installed. Speed was under the speed limit. From marks on the roof, it looks like one side got pushed back, the whole thing rotated and quickly detached from car. Should this be covered by comprehensive, not covered at all, or covered under collision?
Oh man, this one is so easy. Just say wind blew your kayak while in some parking lot for comp but you gonna feel like some low life after.

When the car is moving, any damage will probably go under collision.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4374 posts
3221 upvotes
Edmonton
oIIIIIo wrote: Roof rack carrying two kayaks detached from car on highway. No other cars involved, but roof was damaged and back window broken. Rack was in good shape and properly installed. Speed was under the speed limit. From marks on the roof, it looks like one side got pushed back, the whole thing rotated and quickly detached from car. Should this be covered by comprehensive, not covered at all, or covered under collision?
If this claim came across my desk, it would be covered as comprehensive. Collision has to to be with another object. The roof rack is vehicle equipment which essentially detached and caused damage to the vehicle.

I would have to question the part where you say it was installed properly. If it were installed properly, it would not detach. Roof racks are not meant to come off while driving. It was either improperly installed or cargo was above the capacity of the rack. Regardless, it is immaterial to the claim being covered. I’m guessing you installed it yourself?
Last edited by starchoice on Aug 17th, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.