Automotive

Any kit to stop windshield crack from spreading?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2021 8:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1177 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON

Any kit to stop windshield crack from spreading?

it grows longer every month and I wish to make it stop, while there are contradiction info online as some stated that once crack formed, there is no glue/kit can stop it from spreading, while other swear by some magic glue from CT stopped the spreading.

Your opinion? which kit to buy should I wish to simply stop the spreading?
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14153 posts
9425 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Picture of crack.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1708 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
Why don't you just cough up the cash and pay deductible to have it replaced. Once the crack spreads it becomes a safety issue.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1565 posts
1120 upvotes
Brampton
Use diamond drill bit to make small cut at the end of crack and then fill cut with crazy glue.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35595 posts
4455 upvotes
Winnipeg
they use epoxy to fill it which helps but it is never permanent, i had mine held by epoxy for couple years then it still cracked
May 31, 2008
236 posts
394 upvotes
xuanzh wrote: it grows longer every month and I wish to make it stop, while there are contradiction info online as some stated that once crack formed, there is no glue/kit can stop it from spreading, while other swear by some magic glue from CT stopped the spreading.

Your opinion? which kit to buy should I wish to simply stop the spreading?
Honestly, if it's a crack and not just a bullseye stone chip I always replace the windshield. I've heard that cracks can sometimes be repaired depending on the location and length, but keep in mind the crack will continue to spread if left unrepaired, especially during temperature changes.

If you feel up to it you can try what this guy does in the video below. If not, and if the crack is not too long, you could get an estimate from a glass place to repair, not replace.

I went through this many years ago and I believe there is a certain length that they will do or not do. If it's too long, has cracked all the way to the edge, or cracked all the way through, I believe the only option is to replace.

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1040 posts
1225 upvotes
Canada
Can you imagine driving at highway speed then the cracks spreads like a web that you barely see ahead of you?
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
613 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: Can you imagine driving at highway speed then the cracks spreads like a web that you barely see ahead of you?
Extremely rare for that to happen.. The cracking follows the path of least resistance.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1733 posts
2748 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Might be SOL if its cracking already. Usually with chips I get them fixed asap before it gets worse.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1470 posts
512 upvotes
Ottawa
kopokipi wrote: Use diamond drill bit to make small cut at the end of crack and then fill cut with crazy glue.
This.

However technically you aren't drilling at the end of the crack. You need to drill just slightly away from the end and as you drill the crack need to extend into the hole you just drilled.

It is easier to say than done. You need to be really lucky for it to work *properly* the first time you try it. Even many professional have a hard time with it. You need to "read" the crack correctly to predict where it will continue to place the hole in the right place. Too far the crack won't jump into the hole. Too close the crack will jump pass the hole.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1565 posts
1120 upvotes
Brampton
csi123 wrote: This.

However technically you aren't drilling at the end of the crack. You need to drill just slightly away from the end and as you drill the crack need to extend into the hole you just drilled.

It is easier to say than done. You need to be really lucky for it to work *properly* the first time you try it. Even many professional have a hard time with it. You need to "read" the crack correctly to predict where it will continue to place the hole in the right place. Too far the crack won't jump into the hole. Too close the crack will jump pass the hole.
Agreed, but it's not really hard to do I fixed few cracks this way I just drill at the tip of the crack and fill with glue and worked every time.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3777 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
Just bring it to CT, the dude will tell you whether he can seal it. From my experience, they are pretty honest about whether it can be sealed since they provide warranty on it if it doesn't work/stick.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1040 posts
1225 upvotes
Canada
I cringe everytime I hear bring it to CT. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
thephenom wrote: Just bring it to CT, the dude will tell you whether he can seal it. From my experience, they are pretty honest about whether it can be sealed since they provide warranty on it if it doesn't work/stick.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17158 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
CuriousJack wrote: I cringe everytime I hear bring it to CT. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
To be fair, the random dudes in the parking lot fixing windshields are a lot more reliable than the CT mechanics.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11810 posts
3471 upvotes
Ontario
Just replace the Windshield, if its already cracked then it will just end up getting worse and can be a safety hazard. Unless you got a newer car with sensors and so on it probably wont cost to much. Mine was a little under $1,200 to replace at the dealer but luckily $1,000 was covered.
Dec 7, 2011
814 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
Most of these tent guys charge around $120-180 to do a crack repair. All they are doing is stopping the crack from spreading by drilling and filling both ends of the crack. It will not make the crack disappear. For the money, I'd rather put it towards a replacement. These guys will tell you it can be fixed and when you're not happy, they'll apply that amount to a replacement.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1051 posts
857 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Depending on the size of your crack (lol) and how far along it is, you can guide those newly formed windshield cracks to minimize where they travel, how far across the windshield they span, etc.

Although the risk is, it can do the opposite of what you want it to. You give it a solid tap (I used a frisbee, whatever was in my vehicle) wherever you want the crack to go and it will follow. I've been able to minimize the crack to just go along the border, or the bottom. As long as it doesn't impede driver vision is usually the rule of thumb here in AB, as windshields cracking here happens way too much for highway drivers and the extreme freeze/thaw cycles we get here to be replacing a windshield every 6-12 months.

I've done this 3 times which may have redirected the crack from going in to the driver vision and for sure needing to be replaced.
Oct 16, 2019
177 posts
88 upvotes
Replace it, your insurance company should cover the cost