• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 7:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
489 posts
92 upvotes
GTA

Any LED bulbs without yellow filament?

Do all LED bulbs have bright yellow filaments? I have a clear glass light fixture and want to use a clear bulb but the yellow filament in the LED bulb looks really ugly when the light is off. Are there any LED bulbs without the yellow filament? I would stick to incandescent but they are really hard to find and the Edison type incandescent bulbs aren't that bright.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4431 posts
3925 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately, that's how the technology works right now with clear bulbs. To get that warm white filament look when it's on, the filament itself is yellow. If it wasn't, then it would a much cooler light when it's on, and no one wants that for clear bulbs since they want to replicate the old warm white, incandescent, colour.

Some filaments are a bit less yellow than others, but all of them are yellow-ish. Perhaps the technology will improve in the future.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3607 posts
3791 upvotes
GTA
The best you can do is get either 3000K or 5000K bulbs which will be less yellow than 2700K bulbs.
Oct 19, 2020
808 posts
496 upvotes
GTA
slinger99 wrote: Do all LED bulbs have bright yellow filaments? I have a clear glass light fixture and want to use a clear bulb but the yellow filament in the LED bulb looks really ugly when the light is off. Are there any LED bulbs without the yellow filament? I would stick to incandescent but they are really hard to find and the Edison type incandescent bulbs aren't that bright.
You can buy halogen incandescent lamps that meet the new efficiency standards. LED imo is better.
What base is it? I've seen chandelier style/E12 base without the filament.

The filament style is there to mimic the effect of clear incandescent when on, I don't think you'll be able to find clear leds without that with the regular base.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
489 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
Oh so that's why they are yellow. Thanks everyone for the explanation. I'm looking for the standard A19/E26 bulb. Will keep that in mind when I look for my next light fixture.