Computers & Electronics

Any lemon law/consumer protection on computer in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 9:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC

Any lemon law/consumer protection on computer in Canada?

Got the G15 Ryzen Edition.

- Motherboard died at 6 weeks (outside the 30-day return windows). The tech came to replace the motherboard in few days.
- At roughly 8 weeks, the GPU fan temp sensor died. Dell will send the tech to replace parts again after hours of researching the issue myself, about 2.5 hours with the agent with remote access trying to fix the issue.

I could understand if the thing started having issues further down the road, but at around 2 months old and already too many issues IMO. Glad this thing is not a car.

Dell said returning this is not an option, which is understandable, but as a consumer anything we could do at all. Had Dell gaming laptop keyboard failed at slightly passed 1 year before and got that covered/repaired under AMEX extended warranty. Have to tell/remind myself from now on to stay away from Dell gaming laptops regardless of how good the deals are for a while.
8 replies
Apr 19, 2010
380 posts
112 upvotes
Boucherville
They don't want to exchange it for you? If this keeps up, pretty soon their support costs might warrant an exchange
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
DaMooli wrote: They don't want to exchange it for you? If this keeps up, pretty soon their support costs might warrant an exchange
No, they didn't want to exchange it. The GPU "fan" temp sensor is not working and stuck at 2'C so I have to manually set the fan to run at 100%-can't rely on the sensor to work. I suspected this was what caused the motherboard failure the first time. Fan temp sensor not working, GPU overheat with no cooling and GPU soldered to motherboard, so GPU died and replace whole motherboard?

Room temp 27'C so no way the fan temp would be 2'C. Stay away from Dell, 2 repairs/times involved in 2 months are not worth the savings.
Images
  • 20210819 G15 GPU Fan Sensor Broken.JPG
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2967 upvotes
I would write a letter to the top cheese at Dell and demand a new replacement because this is not normal to have multiple failures in such a short time even after the 30 days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
My first speculation (regarding the first motherboard failure) could be wrong. Because if only the discrete GPU was dead, shouldn't the iGPU at least work? Like the first time, the computer was completely dead and couldn't be turn on at all.

Now I just fix the CPU and GPU's fans at 100% in case the temp sensor of the CPU fails too. Not much confidence in using this laptop as a primary PC at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
cristianosham wrote: I would write a letter to the top cheese at Dell and demand a new replacement because this is not normal to have multiple failures in such a short time even after the 30 days.
Thanks. I will try to find the contact info, it seems like people at the top like to keep their contact info hidden.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1489 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
Always budget for warranty on newer electronics like this. Dell pro support is pretty good if you have it and same goes for Lenovo, Apple and the other big players.

Sadly the industry is headed in a direction where DIY repairs are either impossible or so expensive that it is simply not worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3756 posts
2436 upvotes
London
most of those no lemon warranty's require the failure to be 3 times of the same part so like gpu fails 3 times then they have to give u a whole new unit but that's if dell has that in there warranty there is no law requiring them to do it most like extended warranties store like bb and others sell will have a no lemon guarantee idk about dell though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
submarine wrote: Always budget for warranty on newer electronics like this. Dell pro support is pretty good if you have it and same goes for Lenovo, Apple and the other big players.

Sadly the industry is headed in a direction where DIY repairs are either impossible or so expensive that it is simply not worth it.
Have never bought the extended warranty (C/C already gives another year of warranty. ), but might reconsider depending on the cost.
- From my experience with the ThinkPad Yoga, the SSD/power brick died roughly ~ 3 years, so 3 years of warranty might have covered that. But then those parts were cheap to replace.
- The Inspiron 600m one RAM slot stopped working in the 4th year, but it's probably my fault for not "safely" removed USB device. (Back then (still now?), sometimes it takes forever (like never?) to safely remove the USB device.
You're definitely right on products getting harder to repaired, with everything soldered and non user replaceable battery.