Automotive

Any notable difference in various brands of 87 octane?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 9:25 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes

Any notable difference in various brands of 87 octane?

I know people swear by Shell for the higher octanes due to the lack of ethanol. Is there any difference between the regular octane gas of the various brands? Or has anyone experimented with various brands to test gas mileage and performance?
28 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19285 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
Over thinking about it to save a few bucks. How much difference does it really make.

Even if there is a difference, would you go out of your way and drive to the next gas station.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
bembol wrote: Over thinking about it to save a few bucks. How much difference does it really make.

Even if there is a difference, would you go out of your way and drive to the next gas station.
Do you live in Nunavut or something? In no more than five minutes from home I can get to Petro, Esso, Shell, Pioneer, and an independent station.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2988 posts
1326 upvotes
GTA
KhetysTeachings wrote: Do you live in Nunavut or something? In no more than five minutes from home I can get to Petro, Esso, Shell, Pioneer, and an independent station.
And It's probably not even worth it to go out of your way to save a couple cents per liter because one gas station is cheaper than another closer to your route.
Gas is more or less all the same in Ontario - especially if you use regular.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2988 posts
1326 upvotes
GTA
Also, downvote for not searching a super common topic in the subform
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14973 upvotes
KhetysTeachings wrote: Do you live in Nunavut or something? In no more than five minutes from home I can get to Petro, Esso, Shell, Pioneer, and an independent station.
Yeah and in no more than 10s the guy in post#2 will pick the closest one to go to and move on with his life, while you're trying to make science experiment out of it. Sometimes more research is beneficial, other times you're just overthinking it as he said. This is falling in the latter category. If the question were about different octane or about different ethanol contents you might have something to go on but you may as well go make a thread on what's the best bottled water while you're at it. Spend a day or two deciding and then go to the grocery store, while everyone else just bought the no-name/Canadian Springs or whatever for $1.98 for a 24-pack and moved on with their lives.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16887 posts
14487 upvotes
GTA, ON
When it comes to 87 octane. Simply:

Add gas, press pedal, car goes.

No point over thinking it.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9175 posts
8417 upvotes
If a brand offers no ethanol in their 91, i would stay away from their 87 which will have 10% ethanol instead of 5%.

But for Ontario, 10% is mandated anyway so you cant escape it regardless. The government just make all your gas 5% worse than the rest of the country.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
143 upvotes
Brampton
Huge difference in my Jetta 1.4 Tsi with shell 91 nitro plus. Using 87 means we cannot use the fully specs of the engine and in order to achieve the fully specs as advertised of the engine, shell 91 nitro plus [ethanol free] is the must that allows us to maximize to the fullest. It is like Mazda 2.5 litre Skyactive Turbo that maximizes up to 250 hp on premium feel or otherwise 227 hp on regular 87 octane. Premium ethanol-free makes huge difference somehow. That explains why GTI engine comes alive using premium fuel. Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36400 posts
10652 upvotes
Ottawa
Xtrema wrote: If a brand offers no ethanol in their 91, i would stay away from their 87 which will have 10% ethanol instead of 5%.

But for Ontario, 10% is mandated anyway so you cant escape it regardless. The government just make all your gas 5% worse than the rest of the country.
Almost all gas stations have only 2 storage tanks. one for regular gas and one for premium or highest octane. Lowest octane has 10% ethanol and premium has non and mid grade fuel is mixed with regular and premium at the pump. Therefore, mid grade has less ethanol than regular.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
Ethanol is garbage...basically a cheap filler, that downgrades both your vehicles gas mileage and performance.
There is a reason why automakers use 100% gasoline in their test runs, in order to achieve the advertised sticker MPG.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Almost all gas stations have only 2 storage tanks. one for regular gas and one for premium or highest octane. Lowest octane has 10% ethanol and premium has non and mid grade fuel is mixed with regular and premium at the pump. Therefore, mid grade has less ethanol than regular.
Do all of the major brands have exactly 10% ethanol, or do some have more than others?
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah and in no more than 10s the guy in post#2 will pick the closest one to go to and move on with his life, while you're trying to make science experiment out of it. Sometimes more research is beneficial, other times you're just overthinking it as he said. This is falling in the latter category. If the question were about different octane or about different ethanol contents you might have something to go on but you may as well go make a thread on what's the best bottled water while you're at it. Spend a day or two deciding and then go to the grocery store, while everyone else just bought the no-name/Canadian Springs or whatever for $1.98 for a 24-pack and moved on with their lives.
There is no closest one. They are all the same distance, and if I am out driving somewhere I will pass numerous different stations so I can stop wherever I want. You are making it sound like the average person drives until they are running on fumes and then has no choice but to urgently get to the closest station. That's a pretty bizarre way to drive.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2346 posts
3061 upvotes
MalikBrother wrote: Huge difference in my Jetta 1.4 Tsi with shell 91 nitro plus. Using 87 means we cannot use the fully specs of the engine and in order to achieve the fully specs as advertised of the engine, shell 91 nitro plus [ethanol free] is the must that allows us to maximize to the fullest. It is like Mazda 2.5 litre Skyactive Turbo that maximizes up to 250 hp on premium feel or otherwise 227 hp on regular 87 octane. Premium ethanol-free makes huge difference somehow. That explains why GTI engine comes alive using premium fuel. Thumbs Up Sign
Nice, but irrelevant to the topic, which is the differences between 87 brands NOT between 87 and 91.

No idea whether VW engine can actually take advantage of higher octane fuel or not - but I am extremely doubtful of any seat-of-the-pants anecdotal evidence. Have a friend fill your tank randomly with 87 vs 91 over the next few months and you guess which fuel was actually filled - then see how accurate you were.
Jan 8, 2015
427 posts
367 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: Almost all gas stations have only 2 storage tanks. one for regular gas and one for premium or highest octane. Lowest octane has 10% ethanol and premium has non and mid grade fuel is mixed with regular and premium at the pump. Therefore, mid grade has less ethanol than regular.
How does this work with 91 vs 93 at Esso or 91 vs 94 at Petro . 3 or 4 tanks?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36400 posts
10652 upvotes
Ottawa
KhetysTeachings wrote: Do all of the major brands have exactly 10% ethanol, or do some have more than others?
I think that all regular gas (in Ontario for sure) is 10% ethanol. I belive other provinces are the same but not 100% sure.
angry-trucker wrote: Ethanol is garbage...basically a cheap filler, that downgrades both your vehicles gas mileage and performance.
There is a reason why automakers use 100% gasoline in their test runs, in order to achieve the advertised sticker MPG.
Ethanol is an "green) fuel and produces less carbon and that is why it is being used.
Most of today engines are designed and engineered to run efficiently and properly on regular E5. E10 and E15 gas and putting in premium is wasting money.
Sep 16, 2015
619 posts
1267 upvotes
Calgary, AB
angry-trucker wrote: Ethanol is garbage...basically a cheap filler, that downgrades both your vehicles gas mileage and performance.
Just to clarify: Ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline. You need 1.5X the amount of ethanol to match the energy of gasoline. Therefore, if you buy regular fuel with 10% ethanol, you are receiving 96.67% of the energy of pure gasoline. All things being equal, you would expect a fuel economy reduction of approximately 3.3%, although ethanol is higher octane. That 3.3% reduction isn't worth spending an extra 10 or 20 cents a litre for premium fuel.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
jaybeeg wrote: Just to clarify: Ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline. You need 1.5X the amount of ethanol to match the energy of gasoline. Therefore, if you buy regular fuel with 10% ethanol, you are receiving 96.67% of the energy of pure gasoline. All things being equal, you would expect a fuel economy reduction of approximately 3.3%, although ethanol is higher octane. That 3.3% reduction isn't worth spending an extra 10 or 20 cents a litre for premium fuel.
Exactly my point.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
Pete_Coach wrote: I think that all regular gas (in Ontario for sure) is 10% ethanol. I belive other provinces are the same but not 100% sure.

Ethanol is an "green) fuel and produces less carbon and that is why it is being used.
Most of today engines are designed and engineered to run efficiently and properly on regular E5. E10 and E15 gas and putting in premium is wasting money.

Once we consider the decreased efficiency of the ethanol blends and the energy it takes to grow the corn (along with the energy it takes to produce all the fertilizers and all the heavy equipment involved in planting and distribution) it is not a great idea.

The ethanol business is mainly driven by variois financial interests under the pretense of helping the enviroinment.
Not to mention the destruction of natural habitats for many species while converting the land (for the corn growing) is getting out of hand.
And there is this:

Apart from the scientific evidence that ethanol-based particles in air can kill people and make them sick, more recent scientific analysis links corn for ethanol to declining bee populations, with potentially catastrophic implications for many other high-value agricultural crops (almonds, apples) that depend on these insects for pollination

https://e360.yale.edu/features/the_case ... nvironment