Automotive

Any owners of the 2013-present Mazda6?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 2:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4342 posts
1838 upvotes
Parry Sound

Any owners of the 2013-present Mazda6?

It's time to retire my 2006 Acura TL. Lately I've been eyeing the Mazda6 and really digging it

Tell me why I shouldn't get this car. I plan to get a certified preowned from a Mazda dealership. Is that a bad idea?
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
MayorOfToronto wrote: It's time to retire my 2006 Acura TL. Lately I've been eyeing the Mazda6 and really digging it

Tell me why I shouldn't get this car. I plan to get a certified preowned from a Mazda dealership. Is that a bad idea?
Reasons you shouldn't get it:

-Because a new model with the 2.5L Turbo is being released
-Because pre-owned = no 2.5L Turbo.

Get the new model.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21731 upvotes
Center of Universe
Reasons you should get it:
New 2.5L turbo is DI and will suffer carbon build up.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: Reasons you should get it:
New 2.5L turbo is DI and will suffer carbon build up.
Nearly every new ICE is direct injected and susceptible to carbon build up. Great, right?!
Member
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
MayorOfToronto wrote: It's time to retire my 2006 Acura TL. Lately I've been eyeing the Mazda6 and really digging it

Tell me why I shouldn't get this car. I plan to get a certified preowned from a Mazda dealership. Is that a bad idea?
It's incredibly noisy on the highway if you don't get a 2017+ model. Versions before this didn't even have insulation in the rear door panels!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21731 upvotes
Center of Universe
OKSpring wrote: Nearly every new ICE is direct injected and susceptible to carbon build up. Great, right?!
Nope, stick with NA and you're good.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: Nope, stick with NA and you're good.
Wish it were that easy to deny all facts.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21731 upvotes
Center of Universe
OKSpring wrote: Wish it were that easy to deny all facts.
What's there to deny?
Turbo = DI
NA = PI
Sr. Member
Mar 1, 2008
882 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Wait for the 2019 for that delicious turbo.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: What's there to deny?
Turbo = DI
NA = PI
Mazda's Skyactiv engines are all DI, most automakers NA engines are all DI.

Port injection is increasingly uncommon.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21731 upvotes
Center of Universe
OKSpring wrote: Mazda's Skyactiv engines are all DI, most automakers NA engines are all DI.

Port injection is increasingly uncommon.
There's still plenty of NA PI i4 and V6 out there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4342 posts
1838 upvotes
Parry Sound
After doing more research, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, I've come to the conclusion that the Mazda6 would be a big waste of $20k-25k
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: There's still plenty of NA PI i4 and V6 out there.
And none of them are Mazda's, what's your point?

To go off topic with you, you're sidestepping my point that there are fewer, and fewer port injected ICE's, in favor of direct injection - which by nature are susceptible to carbon build-up.

I'm not complaining, two of my three vehicles are Mazda's. One PI, one DI. Even owned a DISI that was particularly plagued with build up.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26956 posts
3671 upvotes
Montreal
I actually like it. I test drove teh 2017 GS with leather and sunroof. Excellent highway stability, good handling, crisp steering. Nice interior. The tech is up to date. You can hack the infotainment to run Android Auto.


Yes the 4 cyl is buzzy on the highway, but the same can be said for all large displacement 4s like the Camry. I belive they had a 4k cash incentive on it since the mid size car market is slow in canada. I would get it any day over base Malibu or Camry.


I don't know how the value proposition holds up in the used car market though. You need to research it. I would also look at a 2012+ Buick Regal with teh 2.0T engine. These things depreciate like a rock and make bargains for used cars.
Jr. Member
Apr 14, 2008
107 posts
29 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: What's there to deny?
Turbo = DI
NA = PI
Wrong. Both of Mazda's naturally aspirated 2.0L and 2.5L engines are direct injected motors since 2014.

However if we're talking about carbon build up, there may be less blow by for an NA DI motor vs. turbo DI.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21731 upvotes
Center of Universe
OKSpring wrote: And none of them are Mazda's, what's your point?

To go off topic with you, you're sidestepping my point that there are fewer, and fewer port injected ICE's, in favor of direct injection - which by nature are susceptible to carbon build-up.

I'm not complaining, two of my three vehicles are Mazda's. One PI, one DI. Even owned a DISI that was particularly plagued with build up.
My point is to look elsewhere.
Why the F would you want to buy a vehicle that will crap on you early?
I made that mistake myself buying the 2016 Sport with the DI 3.5L twinturbo and will avoid DI going foward.
Manufacturers such as Toyota and Ford have designed their engines with both port and direct injection to circumvent the carbon issue.
Last edited by vkizzle on Feb 23rd, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21731 upvotes
Center of Universe
larphraulen wrote: Wrong. Both of Mazda's naturally aspirated 2.0L and 2.5L engines are direct injected motors since 2014.

However if we're talking about carbon build up, there may be less blow by for an NA DI motor vs. turbo DI.
My point was to avoid DI in general!
Member
Feb 13, 2017
204 posts
184 upvotes
ON
I own a 2014 GT
Pros:
Good features for the money
Good fuel economy
Cons:
Highway wind noisie + tire noise if you get a GT (19" low profiles)

I would suggest getting a 2015 GS if you want comfort (GT has low profiles that are definitely not comfy)
Saw a 2016 GS with 60k going for 20K, no accidents single owner from a dealership a month back

Top