Careers

Any philosophy majors here? What job did you get?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2021 11:26 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6618 posts
1548 upvotes

Any philosophy majors here? What job did you get?

Discuss?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
25 replies
Apr 2, 2010
123 posts
10 upvotes
ChesterCheetoh wrote: Subway
Starbucks
McDonalds
Tim Hortons.
What an original joke... :facepalm:

To answer OP's question, go on LinkedIn and search for alumni of Philosophy programs. I see people working as research assistants, HR, marketing, law, analysts, etc. It can lead to many different careers, but as with any degree, you may need further education/experience.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1332 posts
773 upvotes
GTA
I feel like this has been asked before, definitely responded before, usually the most related career/direct path is law school
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
930 upvotes
NOYFB
I never had a humanties related degree due to my perosnality and interest but I find the fast food work joke unfunny and lame.

Yes job prospective may not be the best for these liberal arts majors but most new graduates start off working in a unrelated occupation and build up their career.
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6090 posts
2956 upvotes
Toronto
Terabithia wrote: I never had a humanties related degree due to my perosnality and interest but I find the fast food work joke unfunny and lame.

Yes job prospective may not be the best for these liberal arts majors but most new graduates start off working in a unrelated occupation and build up their career.
I find it interesting because in some other countries with much longer (and some would argue much more prestigious) educational histories than ours, the most valued traditional degrees are completely unrelated to the jobs people end up doing. Things like philosophy, or classical (Latin/Ancient Greek) literature, etc. No one talks about going to Cambridge to study "Marketing", yet in Canada we treat higher education as worthless unless it is directly targeting a specific job path and ideally comes with provided work experience in that career. Kind of like the white-collar equivalent of an apprenticeship.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6618 posts
1548 upvotes
MarinersFanatik wrote: Maybe start by sharing your own experience?
I got a bank job in ops 1 year after graduation through a network. Do not think I would have been considered otherwise but grateful for where I landed.

Philosophy, like an MBA degree, I believe would benefit a small a handful of people. The ideas learned requires a certain personality to create any real value. I do not mean being the smartest either. If you know, you know.

Don't regret studying it as I feel other people are no smarter nor wiser in any roles I've been in.

I mean, I understand everything out of a business book, easily, just jargon and useless formulas, but can a person who studied business say the same after reading some Kant? I bet they Kant.
Last edited by 1xTiMeR on Dec 29th, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6618 posts
1548 upvotes
ChesterCheetoh wrote: Subway
Starbucks
McDonalds
Tim Hortons.
Tough market i know. Sucks, you'll find something better! Hopefully soon.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12174 posts
15259 upvotes
Vancouver
I took PHIL 100. It was the only philosophy course I ever took, and the only course of any kind I ever abandoned a third of the way through. By the time I realized that it wasn't worth my time or energy I had passed the withdrawal deadline. During the final exam I was at home washing my car. The N mark on my transcript didn't end up hurting me at all when I applied to switch universities. I went on to get two more degrees.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11559 posts
10048 upvotes
Professional RFD boarder while collecting welfare

I ponder... how my life would be if I got a useful degree

-some philosophy grad out there
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3381 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It would complement well with any role that requires critical thinking or writing skills.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
930 upvotes
NOYFB
Manatus wrote: I find it interesting because in some other countries with much longer (and some would argue much more prestigious) educational histories than ours, the most valued traditional degrees are completely unrelated to the jobs people end up doing. Things like philosophy, or classical (Latin/Ancient Greek) literature, etc. No one talks about going to Cambridge to study "Marketing", yet in Canada we treat higher education as worthless unless it is directly targeting a specific job path and ideally comes with provided work experience in that career. Kind of like the white-collar equivalent of an apprenticeship.
True.

Unsure about other (western) countries - specifically the UK in your case.

I think it's reasonable for people to expect their education to yield some kind of return on investment - post secondary tuition, undergrad to be specific, is darn high in Canada! Disappointed But Relieved Face

Yup university is essentially a research based institution. Ideally, students should come out of it as better rounded individuals with critical thinking skills. However sometimes this isn't the case. Young graduates come out of university, angry, dissatisfied with society while failing to take reality into consideration or come up with any sensible solutions to the issues.
If anything I'd say yes these kinds of degree are pretty much worthless to get indebted by. Aside from career prospect, what else do they get out of university? Confused Face

This is not to dismiss philosophy or any other liberal arts program as a whole. I've seen individuals like that in the STEM (students I TAed)

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6670 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
Terabithia wrote: I never had a humanties related degree due to my perosnality and interest but I find the fast food work joke unfunny and lame.

Then why waste 3-6 years of your life if you don't even have plans on what you may do with a useless degree. Sure, a lot of positions will take a useless degree over someone with 10+ years of experience in the field and that's more insane. Big organizations love useless degrees.
Either way, nothing wrong with the joke, since nobody forced OP to get that degree. That mcdonalds, etc comment did bring a tiny smile to me.
Not to mention OP brought it on him/herself by a useless 1 worded post. Any cruel comments are 100% justified.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
930 upvotes
NOYFB
dazz wrote: Then why waste 3-6 years of your life if you don't even have plans on what you may do with a useless degree. Sure, a lot of positions will take a useless degree over someone with 10+ years of experience in the field and that's more insane. Big organizations love useless degrees.
Either way, nothing wrong with the joke, since nobody forced OP to get that degree. That mcdonalds, etc comment did bring a tiny smile to me.
Not to mention OP brought it on him/herself by a useless 1 worded post. Any cruel comments are 100% justified.
It comes down to what university is for - technically it does research and educates students in particular academic disciplines, which does not always generate jobs unless you are pursing a career academically. But like I said earlier it's difficult for graduates to overlook the career prospect given the high price they pay. That's why high schooler and freshmen should really take that into account when choosing a major.

I despise the joke as it's kind of a cliche now to me - been hearing it too much.. Somewhat disrespectful as well.
Last edited by Terabithia on Dec 29th, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6670 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
Terabithia wrote: It comes down to what university is for - technically it does research and educates students in particular academic disciplines, which does not always generate jobs unless you are pursing a career academically. But like I said earlier it's difficult for graduates to overlook the career prospect given the high price they pay.

I despise the joke as it's kind of a cliche now to me - been hearing it too much.. Somewhat disrespectful as well.
There's a name for it, but in psychology there's term for that. You see how the problem is you because it's YOU who is having an issue? Do you think people are there just trying to insult you or perhaps they are ignorant of your emotions? I bet it's the latter. It's disrespectful to YOU because YOU decided it to be.
My cousin went for Fine Arts, had some goals,but they failed so he switched to something else and doesn't care about his degree. He knew it was kind of useless. The difference is, he jokes about it all the time. He chose to look at it differently and not by judging others.
How do you know OP is being hurt by the comments?
You are not wrong by having a negative view/opinion, but you can't expect others to have the same view and expect to know your emotions. In fact, ALL of us make various judgement calls every day and often we can hurt others. It may not be funny to you, but another joke, say tell or comment to post may be found very offensive by someone out there. Is that your fault? No it isn't.

And again, OP brought it by a useless 1 comment post. If it was a serious post, it would've been worded very very differently.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
930 upvotes
NOYFB
dazz wrote: There's a name for it, but in psychology there's term for that. You see how the problem is you because it's YOU who is having an issue? Do you think people are there just trying to insult you or perhaps they are ignorant of your emotions? I bet it's the latter. It's disrespectful to YOU because YOU decided it to be.
My cousin went for Fine Arts, had some goals,but they failed so he switched to something else and doesn't care about his degree. He knew it was kind of useless. The difference is, he jokes about it all the time. He chose to look at it differently and not by judging others.
How do you know OP is being hurt by the comments?
You are not wrong by having a negative view/opinion, but you can't expect others to have the same view and expect to know your emotions. In fact, ALL of us make various judgement calls every day and often we can hurt others. It may not be funny to you, but another joke, say tell or comment to post may be found very offensive by someone out there. Is that your fault? No it isn't.

And again, OP brought it by a useless 1 comment post. If it was a serious post, it would've been worded very very differently.
My goodness. Obviously you are opinionated about this. No I am not the "afraid to offend anyone" type. I just think it's not a nice joke. But that's just me and I am not projecting it onto anyone else.
I do think OP was insulted - look at his last post Face With Tears Of Joy

I suggest we both drop it and switch to some more meaningful discussion

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6618 posts
1548 upvotes
Terabithia wrote: My goodness. Obviously you are opinionated about this. No I am not the "afraid to offend anyone" type. I just think it's not a nice joke. But that's just me and I am not projecting it onto anyone else.
I do think OP was insulted - look at his last post Face With Tears Of Joy

I suggest we both drop it and switch to some more meaningful discussion
Ha, I can care less. I am very happy with my education and career choices.

I was just bored and I have zero worries about my career. It was inevitable to see some hate on these kinds of majors. Like any major, it takes the right person to make any practical use.

Degrees rarely mean anything after a few years into a job. Good thing like a philosophy degree retains it's value longer than any other degree out there.

If anyone cares, 6 digit club. 7 is where the real goals are.