Home & Garden

Any real weedkillers left in ontario?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 5:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2525 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Any real weedkillers left in ontario?

Most of the stuff I see in canadian tire, home depot etc are just bottles of vinegar if you read the labels carefully. And the ones that aren't have even more ridiculous active ingredients like iron(?), one bottle showed pictures of a dandelion being dead after 30 days! In 30 days that dandelion will have flowered and spread itself 1000x over.

I have serious clover and dandelion problem and need a real legal selective herbicide.
26 replies
Member
Jun 11, 2019
207 posts
37 upvotes
Mow your lawn more frequently. Herbicides in the traditional chemical sense end up on your own property for an eternity and if you have kids, you don't want them rolling around in or eating that grass.

Most of what we call weeds are introduced invasive species from outside Canada.
How I deal with dandylions is take a lighter and light up the balls of seeds, takes very little time.

If you hate weeding, consider mulching over your entire backyard and making a food forest.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22541 upvotes
GTA
Clover is actually beneficial to you lawn. My lawn is healthiest where I have clover.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2007
4582 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
To answer the OP's question, the "good stuff" (i.e. selective weed killer containing 2-4-D) is banned in Ontario. If you insist on using it however, there are means to get it online through eBay and the like. I believe a seller out west was offering commercial grade concentrated weed killer on eBay and this may still be available. I think it was called PAR 3 or something like that - do a search and I'm sure you'll find it.

Note that you can still get a decent non-selective weed killer in Ontario, but you'd only want to use that on areas where you are okay with everything dying (i.e. not in your lawn).
Last edited by The_Professor on Jul 23rd, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2415 posts
3177 upvotes
West GTA
Basically, you have a few options.

1. Vinegar, which are you can imagine is non-selective and isn't all that impressive. Sometimes people mix vinegar and table salt for areas like interlock where they really don't want anything to grow, which works much better.
2. Chelated iron, which you can buy as concentrate and mix fairly strong. This selectively kills dicot foliage it lands on, but not monocots due to differences in iron absorption. It's not bad for weeds without a deep root system, but it doesn't kill roots so any deeply rooted weeds may require multiple applications and/or not work well.
3. Glyphosate, you can use it and it's great but it isn't selective.
4. Fatty acid based killers, works fast, doesn't kill roots but isn't selective.
5. There's some kind of weed killer based off of pea extract that's supposed to be a selective kill-to-root option, but it's very slow-acting.
6. You order something from the US or out west that has effective synthetic selective herbicides (Killex, Par 3, etc). This is illegal Ontario and east, but it's easy to get.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
498 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
The new Wilson Weedout Ultra seems pretty similar to the old illegal stuff. It smells similar lol....

Less half-life in nature though apparently.
Seemed to kill my weeds. Better than the rusty-water weed killer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5579 posts
2961 upvotes
Shaidin wrote: The new Wilson Weedout Ultra seems pretty similar to the old illegal stuff. It smells similar lol....

Less half-life in nature though apparently.
Seemed to kill my weeds. Better than the rusty-water weed killer.
How long have you been using it? Did the weeds come back?
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
498 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Squirrel99 wrote: How long have you been using it? Did the weeds come back?
I started this summer. It killed the weeds in my grass with harming the grass. No return yet. They turned yellow and wilted.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5579 posts
2961 upvotes
Shaidin wrote: I started this summer. It killed the weeds in my grass with harming the grass. No return yet. They turned yellow and wilted.
I should try that out, easy to use?
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
498 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Squirrel99 wrote: I should try that out, easy to use?
You can buy in concentrate and put in a pump sprayer. Or buy in the pre-mixed bottles. As easy to use as anything else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2525 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the responses guys. Like I suspected not much selective killers left. I've got decent grass on my front lawn and I don't want to kill everything with non selective. The backyard is like 60% thistle and dandelions with deep roots that go under the fence and into the neighbours side.

What does clover count as, deep or shallow roots? When I pull them out they seem to have very skinny roots that go sideways for quite a distance.

I was looking at the wilson weedout ultra in stores and saw acetic acid(vinegar) in the list of ingredients and just wrote it off as being snake oil. How quickly did it kill your weeds and what type of weed were they?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22541 upvotes
GTA
The_Professor wrote: To answer the OP's question, the "good stuff" (i.e. selective weed killer containing 2-4-D) is banned in Ontario. If you insist on using it however, there are means to get it online through eBay and the like. I believe a seller out west was offering commercial grade concentrated weed killer on eBay and this may still be available. I think it was called PAR 3 or something like that - do a search and I'm sure you'll find it.

Note that you can still get a decent non-selective weed killer in Ontario, but you'd only want to use that on areas where you are okay with everything dying (i.e. not in your lawn).
Maybe the illegal stuff should be allowed, as along as the user agrees to pay for any cancer treatment their family may need? That way people can have freedom if they want it and don't believe the science?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4623 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
Shaidin wrote: The new Wilson Weedout Ultra seems pretty similar to the old illegal stuff. It smells similar lol....

Less half-life in nature though apparently.
Seemed to kill my weeds. Better than the rusty-water weed killer.
Looks like the active ingredient is acetic acid. Same thing found in Roundup Advanced.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 14, 2010
1697 posts
1163 upvotes
Barrie ON
derass wrote: Looks like the active ingredient is acetic acid. Same thing found in Roundup Advanced.
Well it contains 4.5 grams per litre of 4-chloroindole-3-Acetic Acid ( 4-Cl-IAA ) present as potassium salt, which is different than pure acetic acid.

For one thing, acetic acid is non selective, and will kill everything. Wilson's is selective and will only kill a very few number of weeds

REFERENCE
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
498 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Well whatever it is, it smells similar to old weed killers and seems to work. I thought Wilson used some pea derived herbicide.

Some googling...


According to Health Canada, 4-chloroindole-3-acetic acid is a member of the chemical class of chlorinated derivatives of indole-3-acetic acid. It is a naturally occurring plant hormone found in seeds of a variety of annual plants, and then is secreted from developing seeds into parent plants, triggering nutrient mobilization and translocation to seeds, followed by senescence of the parent plant.

Read more: https://www.icangarden.com/document.cfm ... z6T4hdxC5J
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2525 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: Maybe the illegal stuff should be allowed, as along as the user agrees to pay for any cancer treatment their family may need? That way people can have freedom if they want it and don't believe the science?
The science says that 2-4-D doesn't cause cancer according to health canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... 2-4-d.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2525 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shaidin wrote: Well whatever it is, it smells similar to old weed killers and seems to work. I thought Wilson used some pea derived herbicide.

Some googling...


According to Health Canada, 4-chloroindole-3-acetic acid is a member of the chemical class of chlorinated derivatives of indole-3-acetic acid. It is a naturally occurring plant hormone found in seeds of a variety of annual plants, and then is secreted from developing seeds into parent plants, triggering nutrient mobilization and translocation to seeds, followed by senescence of the parent plant.

Read more: https://www.icangarden.com/document.cfm ... z6T4hdxC5J
Interesting. The obvious caveat I see is that dandelions don't die after they flower/seed or at least I've never seen it, so how would tricking the plant into thinking it's seeding kill it off? This wilson product might have been the one I saw in store that claimed it killed dandelions after 30 days. By then I'd probably be fed up from having brown dead weeds on my lawn for weeks and just pull them out manually.

Worth a shot I guess, but it's ridiculously expensive compared to 2-4-d concentrate; 1 bottle of which could make over 100L of solution from what I'm seeing on the net.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8397 posts
5255 upvotes
Mississauga
nabiul wrote: The science says that 2-4-D doesn't cause cancer according to health canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... 2-4-d.html
2,4-D itself is not carcinogenic but its synthesis produces dioxin (TCDD) as a byproduct which is highly carcinogenic. Depending on the manufacturing process, your 2,4-D could have traces of dioxin.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
498 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
If you just spot treat then I wouldn't feel too bad using the illegal stuff but if you're going to blanket your lawn in it then I would hesitate. Especially if you have kids or pets who will be on the lawn.

Tbh a nice lawn is a colossal waste of time and resources but that's the society we are in, lol.

Top