• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 10:51 am
[OP]
Apr 3, 2005
704 posts
45 upvotes

Any Recomendations on Software to convert DVD's to MKV

Hello Everyone.
I'm Here with another question, Thanks all the time for helping me out.

I've few home movies (made by Camcorders) which were made back in the days
and then I burnt onto DVD's to watch....
So they are in the AUDIO TS, VIDEO TS format.. Playable on DVD Players

The reason i'm saying is that they are not COPY PROTECTED OR ANYTHING..

these days who plays dvd's anymore and i'm thinking I should convert those to ONE File ( MKV or avi or mpg or even mp4 ) where I can store it on my Computer and can easily access on media player.

Can you Please recommend any software to do that ... PAID or Free ??
would prefer if someone has used the software personally

Thanks for taking time to read and reply.
Share:
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Handbrake

Free
Most widely used
Open source
Best quality output to both mp4 and mkv
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1702 posts
417 upvotes
Handbrake. Does a good job and simple to use.

https://handbrake.fr/
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
MakeMKV is better than Handbrake. It's only a limited use trial but I think you get 30 days with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Poutsounia wrote: MakeMKV is better than Handbrake. It's only a limited use trial but I think you get 30 days with it.
MakeMKV's main benefit is that it's fast, but it's fast because it doesn't alter the mpeg-2 video from the DVD, it just repackages it. Handbrake is better because it re-encodes the video as more compact H.264.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2005
704 posts
45 upvotes
Thanks guys, i'll give MakeMKV a shot too..
I downloaded handbrake and for 2 hour video
Remaining time was 4 hours and now elapsed time is 3hours 10 mins and remaining time is like 3+ hours..
that's way too much time to make one dvd and I've plenty to make .. so for next disc i'll try makeMKV

I think one of the reason its taking too long is because I selected H265 as an output codec to see how much effect it does on the size.. because I heard it could go upto 10 times less size than H264.
but I think if it takes to one hour to make a 4gb file with h264 and on the hand it take 6 hours to make a 700mb file with same quality but using H265 .. i'm not sure if I wanna go with H265.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
Stick with H264. It's more than enough.
I haven't used MakeMKV but with Handbrake you can batch convert your videos, so you just leave your computer on all night to do the job. If I remember there's an option to shut down the computer once all conversion is done.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2005
704 posts
45 upvotes
gontori wrote: Stick with H264. It's more than enough.
I haven't used MakeMKV but with Handbrake you can batch convert your videos, so you just leave your computer on all night to do the job. If I remember there's an option to shut down the computer once all conversion is done.
Thanks ,
Actually I didn't use the makeMKV but after that 6 long hours.. I decided to use Veryfast720P option to do the same video again and it converted the video in 20 mins and even with h264 in MP4 container the size remained less than the first one..
2 hours video.. h265....655mb.....6 hours
2 hours video.. h264....631mb......20mins

and I played those movies side by side on my computer in vlc... can't tell the difference at all.... so i'm sticking with veryfast encoding...

I DONT THINK I CAN BATCH PROCESS IT BECAUSE THEY ARE ON DVD'S.... SO I HAVE TO BE SITTING INFRONT OF MY PC .... CHANGING DISCS..

THANKS EVERYONE FOR TAKING TIME TO REPLY

Mods can lock or delete this thread.
P.S. : if you find lots of spelling mistakes in my above comment. This is what happens when you use the physical Keyboard (Blackberry) your whole life and then you have to settle with a virtual Keyboard.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
I believe you can create a folder per disc.
Copy the contents of the disc to the folder.
Do that for all DVDs you have.
Then when you want to make the conversion, add each folder to the batch list.

I haven't done that in a long time, so probably it will work or maybe not.
Give it a try.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2005
704 posts
45 upvotes
Yes for sure it'll work that way..but using fast encoding it takes 16 mins and copying will take 5-10 mins... its is little bit time saving... ok i'll give it a shot...
Thanks