None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA

Any recommendation for fence post hole digger in Mississauga/GTA

Asking for a friend. They are building their fence themselves, but need the holes dug and set (no sonotube).

They've been quoted from $32 to $35/hole but have had arrangements for 3 different people to show up and none of them did after setting a date and time. One said his equipment broke and was behind and would be late (never arrived), the other didn't show up and stopped returning calls (although continued to post ads) and the other raised his price by $13/post after the initial quote (to $48/hole - no sonotube).

So just wondering if anyone has recommendations as to anyone who would actually follow through and show up? I've posted the info they gave me, so I don't know if the prices they were quoted are high/low/normal, etc.

Thanks for any info.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
10 replies
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Buy a post hole digger from HD and a poker bar. Post your own ad looking for construction labour on kijji @20 a hour. Shouldn't take that long to dig one hole.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
^ Is the post hole digger the same as an auger? Can't u rent it?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3199 posts
1077 upvotes
Scarborough
sillysimms wrote: Asking for a friend. They are building their fence themselves, but need the holes dug and set (no sonotube).....
If they feel they are handy enough to erect fences then why not go all the way and rent a motorized auger and save more mullahs further?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
I think they have found someone. I appreciate the recommendations via PM and passed them on.

As for why they want someone to drill the holes and set the posts in concrete - I didn't ask them. I just know they wanted to hire someone for that part.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5143 posts
2869 upvotes
GTA
Buccio wrote: Buy a post hole digger from HD and a poker bar. Post your own ad looking for construction labour on kijji @20 a hour. Shouldn't take that long to dig one hole.
Have you ever dug one? No one in their right mind will do that for $20 an hour.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
shabby wrote: Have you ever dug one? No one in their right mind will do that for $20 an hour.
Oh lots of students and young people are out of work, no education either -- just like their parents lol! Other people have jobs and need more money, last guy i hired is 22 and pays $500 a month in auto insurance. They might show up stoned of course but it doesn't require much brains to dig hole with an auger, you can't hurt yourself either. No much difference from landscaping. It is a basic carpentry skill, you want to be a carpenter or framer you need physical strength.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5143 posts
2869 upvotes
GTA
Buccio wrote: It is a basic carpentry skill, you want to be a carpenter or framer you need physical strength.
Digging a hole is not a skill, and it still sounds like you haven't dug one before. Go rent an post hole digger for $11 from home depot and see how many 4 foot deep holes you can dig in the 4 hour limit, i did 2... never doing it again.