Food & Drink

Any recommendations for "REALLY SPICY FOOD"?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2013 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto

Any recommendations for "REALLY SPICY FOOD"?

*title*
29 replies
Jun 1, 2012
791 posts
51 upvotes
Um...this is a canada wide forum, mention your location atleast
"Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."—Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
How so?

Restaurants? Recipes? Just hot peppers? Hot sauces? Wings? Curries?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
If you are in the downtown Toronto Chinatown area...I suggest you try:

Sichuan Garden
359 Spadina Ave
Toronto, ONT
M5T 2G3

And order the Shui Zhu Yu (sichuan style boiled fish)

Spiciest thing I have ever eaten and I was dating a girl that loved spicy food so I had to eat it....built up a bit of a tolerance but every time I ate this dish.....I would wake up at 3am with stomach aches and fiery explosions....goodness...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Sometimes China Garden makes their food REALLY SPICY that its inedible. Their Manchurian chicken dish is hotter than the Chili Chicken dish.

I used to find Korean food really spicy, but now that I eat at Song Cook so much, I've built up an immunity.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
test9251 wrote: scarborough
Try Sichuan style chinese. Ba Shu Jia Ren is one I like in Markham.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
Since "spicy" is subjective...

I suggest the Ghost Pepper Burrito (hotter than hell version) from Mucho Burrito.
You can feel the tingly burn through your entire digestive system with the explosive fireworks at the end.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Raggie wrote: Sometimes China Garden makes their food REALLY SPICY that its inedible. Their Manchurian chicken dish is hotter than the Chili Chicken dish.

I used to find Korean food really spicy, but now that I eat at Song Cook so much, I've built up an immunity.
Korean food for the most part is pretty tame compared to other countries. Growing up Korean, I (like many other Koreans) would put a ton of hot sauce in my bi bim bap, but totally got my butt kicked by other cuisine's hot sauces.

Another place downtown: Salad King - anything on the menu with 20 chilies.

Can't help OP out with places in Scarorough, but most wing places have their own version of "Armageddon Wings".

raymondly wrote: Since "spicy" is subjective...

I suggest the Ghost Pepper Burrito (hotter than hell version) from Mucho Burrito.
You can feel the tingly burn through your entire digestive system with the explosive fireworks at the end.
The burrito place by me (Fat Bastard Burrito - Etobicoke) changed their hot sauce to incorporate ghost peppers. Yesterday, I got a line of hot sauce on my burrito. It was powerful, but didn't have a lingering sting like many other hot peppers. After finishing it, my mouth was fine, but my stomach hurt for roughly 30 mins before it settled down.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I think Korean hot sauce now has a sweet taste to it.

I think wasabi tastes hotter on certain fish than others. I could use a ton of wasabi on salmon and not taste it, but just a drop on hamachi and my eyes are watering - really opens up the sinuses.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: If you are in the downtown Toronto Chinatown area...I suggest you try:

Sichuan Garden
359 Spadina Ave
Toronto, ONT
M5T 2G3

And order the Shui Zhu Yu (sichuan style boiled fish)

Spiciest thing I have ever eaten and I was dating a girl that loved spicy food so I had to eat it....built up a bit of a tolerance but every time I ate this dish.....I would wake up at 3am with stomach aches and fiery explosions....goodness...
Have this at restaurants (Bashu) and make at home...kids will eat it (almost in tears...big pissing contest between them).

Now that being said, with the sichuan peppercorn (numbing, not spicy), I find that you keep being drawn back in to eat more.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
181 upvotes
North York
I don't understand Mandarin (except for wei jing) but whatever kind of hot pot this is looks really really spicy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRPdUUXOM4

Can anyone tell me what regional dialect/accent the narrator has? I hear people speaking like this but I'm not sure where in China they would be from.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Korean food for the most part is pretty tame compared to other countries. Growing up Korean, I (like many other Koreans) would put a ton of hot sauce in my bi bim bap, but totally got my butt kicked by other cuisine's hot sauces.
Raggie wrote: I think Korean hot sauce now has a sweet taste to it.
Bi Bim Bap sauce is made mostly of gochujang, I believe, so its mostly fermented bean, which is why it isn't that hot and maybe even a little sweet.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Szechuan Legend in Scarborough will provide plenty. Do what I (mistakenly) did, order Dan Dan noodles with extra sichuan pepper, however that's more numbing than hot. A dish like Lamb with Chili will be pretty hot. Eat each and every pepper in the dish and you'll feel it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
7113 posts
9300 upvotes
In Toronto downtown: Salad King. Order a dish with 20 chilies (max). Golden Thai curry is the best .

Rod
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Korean food for the most part is pretty tame compared to other countries. Growing up Korean, I (like many other Koreans) would put a ton of hot sauce in my bi bim bap, but totally got my butt kicked by other cuisine's hot sauces.

Another place downtown: Salad King - anything on the menu with 20 chilies.

Can't help OP out with places in Scarorough, but most wing places have their own version of "Armageddon Wings".
I found the Korean food in Korea way more spicier than the food here to the point where I was practically begging for mercy. Even Koreans I've known from Korea say it's oddly sweet in Toronto. Even NY's Korean food was alot spicier I though (ie. Octopus Stirfry).

I've gone through my phase of hot foods. I've had 20 chillis plus a couple of extra spoonfuls of the flaky stuff at Salad King (was a competition between a co worker). Although I've been back and have had some dishes with 10 chillis and it was quite spicy.

Anything with chillis, seeds, and the oil with it will always be spicy. Yea, and some wing places use that additive type hot sauce.

The hot sauces with certain ingredients actually cannot be considered a sauce and is actually considered an additive. This from some show about hot sauce and pepper eating competition I saw on TLC once.
May 29, 2010
162 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Just go to a good wing place and ask for the hottest wings they have. That's enough spice to kick your ***** ... though why you would put your mouth, stomach, and a-hole through that is beyond me.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
2sbg wrote: Just go to a good wing place and ask for the hottest wings they have. That's enough spice to kick your ***** ... though why you would put your mouth, stomach, and a-hole through that is beyond me.
Jimboski wrote: Haha I know right!
I think I read some studies a few years back showing evidence that a desire for spicy food is related with masochism. I guess we're all just crazy. :twisted:

Salad King 20 chili is the spiciest food I've eaten at an establishment that I can remember.