Careers

Locked: Any remote workers ask their employer to work outside Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2021 12:55 pm
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
553 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto

Any remote workers ask their employer to work outside Canada?

And if they said no, “you have to work from here” then what can you do? If you use VPN and get a sim is there any way they can know where you are working from? Thinking about going somewhere cheaper, hotter and more open. How complicated can it be??? 🤯
Share:
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1803 posts
902 upvotes
Alberta
Technically possible, but technically also illegal. 1. You need a work permit to work in another country 2. Taxes very by province/territory, so even if you moved in Canada. If your employer finds out, you might lose your job. Also a company won't pay you the same if you worked in Silicon Valley vs Nebraska....because your pay generally has a cost of living built into it for the area where you work.

Yes it can be done, with VPN and all that, but is it worth it, I don't know. You just want to keep getting paid same and live in a cheaper place, understandable, but wouldn't go down well if found out.
Feb 1, 2020
159 posts
66 upvotes
I don't think you can for tax purposes.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
553 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
The plan is to go for 6 months as a “tourist” then return and see how things are going here. And then go back. It’s not a permanent move. Does that make a difference? And how would that affect taxes?
Feb 1, 2020
159 posts
66 upvotes
DealMoney7777 wrote: The plan is to go for 6 months as a “tourist” then return and see how things are going here. And then go back. It’s not a permanent move. Does that make a difference? And how would that affect taxes?
Liability issues also
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12039 posts
2372 upvotes
Toronto
Don't see why not. If you're a tourist. Ppl work at the cottage all the time.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4563 posts
2078 upvotes
DealMoney7777 wrote: And if they said no, “you have to work from here” then what can you do? If you use VPN and get a sim is there any way they can know where you are working from? Thinking about going somewhere cheaper, hotter and more open. How complicated can it be??? 🤯
I know a person at work who asked for that, the manager consulted with HR, then told him it would not be allowed.

Eventually this person quit. After looking around, this person found another company (big brand name that every Canadian knows) that allows that. Now this person is working for this company, and is located outside of Canada. Down south.

My recommendation is to be upfront. Some companies are going to allow it. But if you go behind the back of your manager, they may terminate you jut because of that.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12427 posts
8924 upvotes
Edmonton
DealMoney7777 wrote: And if they said no, “you have to work from here” then what can you do? If you use VPN and get a sim is there any way they can know where you are working from? Thinking about going somewhere cheaper, hotter and more open. How complicated can it be??? 🤯
Keep in mind that your employer can let you go at any time for no reason whatsoever. So if you want to push the boundaries, feel free. But might want to brush up on your resume while you’re drinking pina coladas on the beach.

Better bet, as someone else said. Find an employer who doesn’t care, if it’s that important to you.

C
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
553 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
I am wondering how they would even know. Right now it is work from home for the foreseeable and they plan to give notice when we go back. So who’s telling where I am?? How would they know. That’s the part I am wondering about. Is there a way IT can track. And what liability issues would there be. We are covered for travel insurance.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2473 upvotes
Toronto
You dont zoom video with ur boss or teammates?? First thing they will say its raining badly but then its showing sunny as hell in ur windowsFace With Tears Of Joy
To the moon
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9788 posts
3336 upvotes
Just don't get too much sun, the tan will give it away
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12039 posts
2372 upvotes
Toronto
DealMoney7777 wrote: I am wondering how they would even know. Right now it is work from home for the foreseeable and they plan to give notice when we go back. So who’s telling where I am?? How would they know. That’s the part I am wondering about. Is there a way IT can track. And what liability issues would there be. We are covered for travel insurance.
IT should most definitely know. It'll depend likely on their 'red flag' system. There should be a way to 'vpn' into your work VPN to make it seem like you're still in home province.
Redsanta wrote: You dont zoom video with ur boss or teammates?? First thing they will say its raining badly but then its showing sunny as hell in ur windowsFace With Tears Of Joy
I started a new near end of last year and there was no pressure for video at both places. And if you do, just have a plain wall as background. Nobody is going to care and ppl don't pressure others regarding their place.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2871 posts
1553 upvotes
Ottawa
DealMoney7777 wrote: The plan is to go for 6 months as a “tourist” then return and see how things are going here. And then go back. It’s not a permanent move. Does that make a difference? And how would that affect taxes?
I know several people doing this. They were explicitly given long lead time when WFH would continue. As others said if they get caught they could be fired so you would have to weigh that. If you are in demand and don't really like your current set-up it's probably worth it. Otherwise seems risky.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
553 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the input. Sigh. I guess I have to re-think it.

I am not concerned about Zoom because we don’t have to video, and I can always use a background. And the team is scattered so we do have different weather sometimes.

It’s the IT piece. And it’s funny because I took my work stuff on my last vacation since I was worried I might get stuck there, and I should have tried it then to see if it worked. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4736 posts
2858 upvotes
IT usually monitors and flags this stuff, sometimes it's pretty obvious or sometimes it seems suspicious.

Big issue is taxation, and employment laws and the grey areas that come with it.

If however you were an incorporated consultant, anything goes!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12427 posts
8924 upvotes
Edmonton
DealMoney7777 wrote: Thanks for the input. Sigh. I guess I have to re-think it.

I am not concerned about Zoom because we don’t have to video, and I can always use a background. And the team is scattered so we do have different weather sometimes.

It’s the IT piece. And it’s funny because I took my work stuff on my last vacation since I was worried I might get stuck there, and I should have tried it then to see if it worked. Face With Tears Of Joy
As someone said, the fact that you're VPN'ing into their VPN may be a red flag to them, as well as the performance hit you'd take. And all it would take is one screwup with the VPN's to trigger things. A lot would probably depend on how sophisticated your company's IT department is, how sensitive they are about their data, and what your role in the company is.

One of my co-workers triggered a "major situation" at my last contract. Went home for a visit (Middle East country), didn't notify anyone that they might be working remotely (pre-COVID). They logged in using the corporate VPN to do a bit of work on the company's Azure systems. Next thing you know, everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and we were told that one of the "three letter intelligence agencies" in the US was involved because of the access from an black-listed country. Everything got sorted out, but we were told to never ever do that again.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4224 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
This issue came up at my workplace, and the sticking point was with workplace insurance coverage.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3053 posts
349 upvotes
My company specifically wrote it into their Work From Home policy, that all employees must reside in Western Canada. Obviously the issue was brought up, and very explicitly laid out.
Mar 5, 2008
426 posts
93 upvotes
found Rod Phillips RFD acct.