Boxing Day Discussion Archive

Any reports of people lining up?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2017 7:56 am
Tags:
Jul 25, 2007
492 posts
149 upvotes
WH0WHAT wrote: Boxing Day ended when Future Shop closed down.
You know what..I would say that's an accurate analysis. I remember around 2004, we lined up on Christmas day. There were great door crashers, lots of deals on electronics and so forth.

FutureShop, knew how to market during Boxing Day and many of products that I bought back then, can still be used today and or I got a lot out of them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Allen84 wrote: That SIG Electronics Boxing Day thread with the $10 TV was the funniest thread I ever read. I still kinda remember there were tents built near the front entrance, and a Audi and BMW drivers lining up hoping to get that TV.
It was a good read. Thanks OP!

sig-electronics-boxing-day-door-crasher ... a-1423619/
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Fantaz wrote: there has to be something on sale? W... T... F...

it looks like only asians in line?
There are also a lot of rich Asian people in Toronto and Vancouver.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
dealseaker101 wrote: There are also a lot of rich Asian people in Toronto and Vancouver.
Typical Asians lining up for everything. Poop Cafe, Uncle Tetsu and Canada Goose.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Glad to not have lined up for stuff in over a decade or so.

1) pretty happy with what I've got
2) when I do need something I just tend to buy it
3) more random deal purchases sourced thru out the year usually off of RFD

For some people it isn't actually about the deals, it's getting together with some buddies, go maybe pick a few things up, then lunch or dinner.... So more of a social event than shopping. Back in early 90s we always used to go to Licks after CD shopping.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote: Glad to not have lined up for stuff in over a decade or so.

For some people it isn't actually about the deals, it's getting together with some buddies, go maybe pick a few things up, then lunch or dinner.... So more of a social event than shopping. Back in early 90s we always used to go to Licks after CD shopping.
Plus it's easier to convince yourself (or your rich parents) that it's ok to spend some money when it's the holidays.
Jul 25, 2007
492 posts
149 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Glad to not have lined up for stuff in over a decade or so.

We used to do that..standing in the Best Buy line up overnight - drink courvoisier and toss around the old football.

Then, after we bought a few items..hit up some place for beers - we still do that on Boxing Day..however, we don't waste money on items that come with weak deals.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I was actually most surprised to find long lineup at Tim Hortons. This was at STC. I guess people need coffee to start their shopping spree.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
gregv wrote: All I can think is that people may have received $ for Christmas and want to spend it at Canada Goose asap.

I heard line ups at Canada Goose Yorkdale is normal as they limit the number of customers in store at one time.

Apparently Canada Goose and stuff like Kate Spade can be easily resold in China for many times face value. People buy here at regular price and resell there for tidy profits. RFD style!
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities