Automotive

Any RFD detailer willing to polish my car?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 12:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16495 posts
5006 upvotes
Toronto

Any RFD detailer willing to polish my car?

I have a 2012 Camry in Cosmic Gray Mica [Dark Gray] colour and just wanted to put Meguiars Ultimate Compound on it to get rid of some oxidation over the years. Unfortunately, I am unable to do this myself and was hoping someone would be able to do this for me. I am in the East Scarborough/Pickering area but can drive to you. Please let me know what you would charge as I already have a bottle of the compound (used it to get rid of some marks on the car).

Thanks
Last edited by hightech on Jul 6th, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31729 posts
18638 upvotes
Toronto
you want someone to wax your baby ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16495 posts
5006 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: you want someone to wax your baby ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Yes I know there are detailers on here and figured if someone would be able to help out :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
There's quite a few of them mobile detailers as well. Maybe google a few and see if their bill fits your budget. God only knows how long you'll be waiting for a rfder to either post or pm you.

:)
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16495 posts
5006 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: There's quite a few of them mobile detailers as well. Maybe google a few and see if their bill fits your budget. God only knows how long you'll be waiting for a rfder to either post or pm you.

:)
Would you be able to suggest anyone?
Oct 8, 2019
258 posts
118 upvotes
hightech wrote: I have a 2012 Camry in Cosmic Gray Mica [Dark Gray] colour and just wanted to put Meguiars Ultimate Compound on it to get rid of some oxidation over the years. Unfortunately, I am unable to do this myself and was hoping someone would be able to do this for me. I am in the East Scarborough/Pickering area but can drive to you. Please let me know what you would charge as I already have a bottle of the compound (used it to get rid of some marks on the car).

Thanks
Are you only gonna apply compound? Doing the entire car i assume? I suggest washing, claying, compound, polisher at the bare minimum. And then for added protection, add sealant and wax. And if you wanna bring out more shine, then a glaze before the sealant and wax.

Also, some pictures would be good to see the cars condition.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15049 posts
6039 upvotes
RFD
I have not had my vehicle done yet by this person (maybe after COVID), but I have read great word on this person and his work on RFD and other forums. No affiliation

https://oriondetailing.co/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16495 posts
5006 upvotes
Toronto
Some1rulez wrote: Are you only gonna apply compound? Doing the entire car i assume? I suggest washing, claying, compound, polisher at the bare minimum. And then for added protection, add sealant and wax. And if you wanna bring out more shine, then a glaze before the sealant and wax.

Also, some pictures would be good to see the cars condition.
I don't have any pictures taken. There is not too much that needs fixing except from what you would find after 9 years of use on a daily driver.
Last edited by hightech on Jul 6th, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2838 posts
2484 upvotes
Toronto
If it's just swirls mother's polish works great. Doing this by hand is not recommended so definitely go to someone that has an electric polisher.

Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: Would you be able to suggest anyone?
I've seen a few around the area, but I'm not in a position to vouch or recommend for a service that I haven't tried myself.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16495 posts
5006 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: I've seen a few around the area, but I'm not in a position to vouch or recommend for a service that I haven't tried myself.
Yes, some detailers look very good but I am not looking to spend $500 on a Camry. If I had a higher end vehicle, that would be another story.
Oct 8, 2019
258 posts
118 upvotes
hightech wrote: I don't have any pictures taken. There is not too much that needs fixing except from what you would find after 9 years of use on a daily driver.
I suggest switching to a hybrid compound and polisher such as chemical guys vss. This way itll help with fixing scratches and bringing back the shine at the same time. So instead of a 2 step correction, its a 1 step correction.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2205 posts
1710 upvotes
I don't think you'll be able to get it done for what you're expecting. Good detailing is not cheap and rightly so.

I've seen cheap detailing. My boss paid $200 to "paint correct" his S5 and correction with swirls it got. It came out worst than it went in.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1444 posts
954 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: Yes, some detailers look very good but I am not looking to spend $500 on a Camry. If I had a higher end vehicle, that would be another story.
For a mid sized vehicle like a Camry you are looking at least 300$+ for a Level 1 Polish by a professional. I wouldn't trust anyone offering this service for less since its easy to mess up and much more expensive to fix.

Of course you can DIY for less but it is very labor intensive, tried it once and never again haha. PM me if you would like a recommendation for someone in Markham
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32826 posts
14547 upvotes
I'm not a pro (i.e. don't do for a living) but I would have entertained this for what would have been pretty low cost (relatively speaking) had it been during the "covid months". However I'm back to work now and honestly don't even have time to do a good detail my own car (for which I got Cquartz UK for) :( Sucks that my "covid break" ended pretty much the day (and I'm not even kidding) it turned permanently warm for the summer :rolleyes:

As a side note, Meg's Ultimate Compound is not bad but I really recommend you use something that's not only easier but has lower dusting and works much better--Girot's Fast Correcting Cream. Beats both UC and M105 handily IMO. Has tons of work time, is easier to get good results out of, and much less dust as mentioned. M105 dust is killer, UC is better but it's not as good as M105 at cutting/correcting.

Also if your paint is really bad you'll need it done with a rotary, which requires the operator to have a good degree of skill; a DA won't cut it (pardon the pun) in that case. Also a lot of people's cars are far worse than they make them out to be. "Oh it's not that bad"...and I'm wondering if this person didn't do a twirl on ice skates on the hood/truck :lol:

But you can do/have done a "1-step correction" with the FCC and a DA, and get really good results, if you're not looking for perfect results. You basically have to go to a detailer that offers "less than perfect" results for lower prices. Some don't like to do that since they feel the paint could be corrected better with proper labour, products, and time; but in the end if they want to make money they have to be willing to provide services that don't fully correct the paint to the degree it could be while taking a lower fee. Still I wouldn't count on having this done for less than say $250 by a pro/mobile detailer though it depends on the area and who you get. The thing is whether they're doing a 1-step correction and wax or a multi-stage correction, the prep work is gonna be pretty much the same regardless and that in itself is a lot of labour. Car still has to be thoroughly cleaned, decontaminated, etc. for any correction to be effective.

Think about it this way, if someone spends most of the day--say 8-10hrs on your car, even $200 is not far from min. wage, never mind all the products they have to use from consumable QD/polish/wax, to pad wear, towels, etc. Granted people with experience and doing this stuff daily may cut that time down a couple hours but still it's a lot of work and you don't want someone to rush though it, skip proper prep, etc. as the results can be poor as others have pointed out.

Anyway best of luck, hopefully someone here can help you out.
Oct 8, 2019
258 posts
118 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm not a pro (i.e. don't do for a living) but I would have entertained this for what would have been pretty low cost (relatively speaking) had it been during the "covid months". However I'm back to work now and honestly don't even have time to do a good detail my own car (for which I got Cquartz UK for) :( Sucks that my "covid break" ended pretty much the day (and I'm not even kidding) it turned permanently warm for the summer :rolleyes:

As a side note, Meg's Ultimate Compound is not bad but I really recommend you use something that's not only easier but has lower dusting and works much better--Girot's Fast Correcting Cream. Beats both UC and M105 handily IMO. Has tons of work time, is easier to get good results out of, and much less dust as mentioned. M105 dust is killer, UC is better but it's not as good as M105 at cutting/correcting.

Also if your paint is really bad you'll need it done with a rotary, which requires the operator to have a good degree of skill; a DA won't cut it (pardon the pun) in that case. Also a lot of people's cars are far worse than they make them out to be. "Oh it's not that bad"...and I'm wondering if this person didn't do a twirl on ice skates on the hood/truck :lol:

But you can do/have done a "1-step correction" with the FCC and a DA, and get really good results, if you're not looking for perfect results. You basically have to go to a detailer that offers "less than perfect" results for lower prices. Some don't like to do that since they feel the paint could be corrected better with proper labour, products, and time; but in the end if they want to make money they have to be willing to provide services that don't fully correct the paint to the degree it could be while taking a lower fee. Still I wouldn't count on having this done for less than say $250 by a pro/mobile detailer though it depends on the area and who you get. The thing is whether they're doing a 1-step correction and wax or a multi-stage correction, the prep work is gonna be pretty much the same regardless and that in itself is a lot of labour. Car still has to be thoroughly cleaned, decontaminated, etc. for any correction to be effective.

Think about it this way, if someone spends most of the day--say 8-10hrs on your car, even $200 is not far from min. wage, never mind all the products they have to use from consumable QD/polish/wax, to pad wear, towels, etc. Granted people with experience and doing this stuff daily may cut that time down a couple hours but still it's a lot of work and you don't want someone to rush though it, skip proper prep, etc. as the results can be poor as others have pointed out.

Anyway best of luck, hopefully someone here can help you out.
I was debating it but even for $300, i have too many other things on my plate to worry about lol. If OP wanted 1 or 2 panels done, i wudda just done it for free.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)