• Feb 19th, 2021 6:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2017 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto

Any Ring protect plus subscribers here?

Thinking about ditching TMC - their system doesn't support VOIP. To get IP based monitoring they want $349 + $16/month for monitoring

Was looking at Ring protect plus but I can't seem to find any reviews on the service in Canada.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35214 posts
21188 upvotes
Center of Universe
Subscriber here, what's up?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2017 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
Just wondering how the support and service is - any issues?
How quick are they to respond, etc.

Also I guess the monthly $10 cost is in $USD - so about $12.70 /month CAD? Is there tax on top of that?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1209 posts
1217 upvotes
Markham, ON
I've never contacted the for support, so I have no idea.
But no issues with the service itself.
I prepaid for the year as it's cheaper.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Apr 9, 2007
39 posts
11 upvotes
I have also subscribed but never had to contact support.

However, I wanted to mention that I get a discount from my home insurance and it is MORE than the yearly subscription! I also bought the FirstAlert CO and Fire detector, so that the the Ring security monitoring certificate says both burglary and fire:
"The home at this address has 24/7 professional monitoring with battery and cellular backup. The central monitoring station provides 24/7 monitoring for Burglary, Panic, Fire/Smoke, CO."

That maximized the insurance discount for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35214 posts
21188 upvotes
Center of Universe
joo wrote: Just wondering how the support and service is - any issues?
How quick are they to respond, etc.

Also I guess the monthly $10 cost is in $USD - so about $12.70 /month CAD? Is there tax on top of that?
I triggered a false alarm once and they called me fairly quick as I was disarming it.
Setup your account to pay USD $100 all in, no taxes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2017 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks.. I noticed that subscribers get a 10% discount on hardware.
So is it possible to subscribe first, then order the hardware?
Dec 20, 2014
28 posts
39 upvotes
Wpg
rockyfan206 wrote: I also bought the FirstAlert CO and Fire detector, so that the the Ring security monitoring certificate says both burglary and fire:
"The home at this address has 24/7 professional monitoring with battery and cellular backup. The central monitoring station provides 24/7 monitoring for Burglary, Panic, Fire/Smoke, CO."

That maximized the insurance discount for me.
I'm gonna be working with a similar setup for mine (still in the box from Prime Day). Where did you score your first alert equipment, and did you replace all of them?
Apr 9, 2007
39 posts
11 upvotes
joo wrote: Thanks.. I noticed that subscribers get a 10% discount on hardware.
So is it possible to subscribe first, then order the hardware?
Yes you can do that.
Amazon tends to have pretty good Black Friday / Prime Day discounts that give more off, but you probably don't want to wait that long. Alternately, you could buy some equipment now and add on later during a sale.
Apr 9, 2007
39 posts
11 upvotes
In case it's useful, I also bought this smart lock during a Prime Day sale:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KQR ... UTF8&psc=1
and it integrates well with the Ring system and Alexa. You can create an Alexa command (if you use it) such as "goodnight" to
  • Turn off all lights
  • Arm the Ring system in Home mode (just entry detection)
  • Lock smart locks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2017 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks.. I might wait.
Also saw that Wyze is going to offer home a security system for $5/month. Currently pre-order in the US.
Dec 20, 2014
28 posts
39 upvotes
Wpg
rockyfan206 wrote: This one: https://www.lowes.ca/product/combinatio ... ave-902407
I bought two of these, and just relocated my existing "dumb" detectors, since it doesn't hurt to still have them.
Thank you for this info.

Theoretically, this may do the same thing from the perspective of continuous monitoring thing. I am getting the whole house with interconnected monitors, which I'm guessing I can't yank something out without causing ruckus. One of these sitting next to any of the interconnected nodes should (theoretically) do the trick.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2531 posts
1310 upvotes
London
ring actually has some good c/s. i had one of there cheapest bells. it kept losing battery power even though it was hardware. they offer to upgrade me to a pro if i paid the dif witch was 150. but they had refurbished pros that were only 60 bucks more but i guess its policy not to exchange a new bell for a refurbished. but after a couple calls they got me a supervisor and he just said forget about the 60 or 150 ill just send u the pro no cost and a pre paid label ship the cheaper bell back to us.

next day it shipped out 2 day ups air within 3 days i had it and return the old one it took about 4 calls before i got to the supervisor who took care of everything but considering i got a $150 upgrade for free thats some good c/s in the end.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5871 posts
1251 upvotes
Montreal
I have an annual subscription for my Ring doorbell. It was considerably cheaper to go to amazon.com instead of amazon.ca for the doorbell product. Once there I scrolled down and clicked the link for the annual subscription. I'm thinking it might be a similar situation for ring protect. The price for the Ring doorbell subscription was US$30 vs. CAD$50 on amazon.ca.
Phils