Computers & Electronics

Any salvageable part in this or do I just toss it out ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 1:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3748 posts
1059 upvotes
GTA North

Any salvageable part in this or do I just toss it out ?

I basically remove the hard drive for the magnets and took out the ram but aside from that it's about 8-10 years old I'm guessing.

It was previously used an office backup for the main computer. I have 2 of them.
Images
  • 20210810_143204.jpg
Last edited by tkl on Aug 10th, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8430 posts
5309 upvotes
Mississauga
PSU and maybe the lithium cell? SATA cable is still good too.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23463 posts
5502 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't toss any of it out - are the cases non-proprietary?

If so, you can definitely re-use the cases...............same goes for the CD/DVD drive

I'd pull the video cards and mobos and put them up on RFD Freebies - someone will take it.....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3748 posts
1059 upvotes
GTA North
ji2o0k wrote: I wouldn't toss any of it out - are the cases non-proprietary?

If so, you can definitely re-use the cases...............same goes for the CD/DVD drive

I'd pull the video cards and mobos and put them up on RFD Freebies - someone will take it.....
I have no idea it was proprietary or not and I don't even know what that means. Grimacing Face

I don't think it has a video card I'll have a look thanks.

Edit: it does have a video card but it's a really old one ATI 9250 256 MB
Images
  • 20210810_151100.jpg
  • 20210810_151914_HDR.jpg
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23463 posts
5502 upvotes
Toronto
tkl wrote: I have no idea it was proprietary or not and I don't even know what that means. Grimacing Face

I don't think it has a video card I'll have a look thanks.

Edit: it does have a video card but it's a really old one ATI 9250 256 MB
lol, I mean is it a Dell or HP or Compaq etc desktop - as they use some funky connectors or something.............but doesn't look like it so I think you are good to re-use!

Some of these old parts have nostalgic value!!! Some people look for these old PCs to load up WinXP and play some old games......

I have to say, the inside of the case is so clean!!! No dust or anything, kudos to you or whoever kept it spotless!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ji2o0k wrote: lol, I mean is it a Dell or HP or Compaq etc desktop - as they use some funky connectors or something.............but doesn't look like it so I think you are good to re-use!
It's an Inwin case that was popular with custom PC builders (mostly for business use).
Standard case, standard power supply.

OP, if you build PCs, you can keep the power supply around for testing, otherwise recycle or donate it.
You could try to sell the video card or motherboard on ebay, but it's pretty niche.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4923 posts
1956 upvotes
If the CPU is 2nd Gen intel i-core or newer, its worth something. Not much if its Core2duo era or older.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7497 posts
4124 upvotes
Debtario
Looks like a core 2 system, can tell by the stock LGA775 cooler. Still a decent machine if it has enough ram, if someone adds an SSD these machines are still usable for basic use.

That GPU is old and predates the system by a fair bit. Must have been stuffed in for extra monitor outputs? Even the AGP version was better, but that that mobo has PCI-E. Actually, the integrated graphics might be better than that pci card, sad as it may be.

For reference, I sold a system with that same case/power supply (different front panel) and my old q9550 with 8GB ram for $160 earlier this year. Also sold a Q6600 machine for $100. Post it and someone may snatch it up, is all I'm saying.
Images
  • 20201222_144934.jpg
  • 20200724_160005.jpg
Last edited by M1K3Z0R on Aug 10th, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5746 posts
5416 upvotes
Vancouver
PCI Radeon 9250? That thing is easily 15 years old.

You can hang on to the parts, but I doubt it's of any use. Most people buying a computer today for home or business don't want anything bigger than SFF.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2056 posts
1448 upvotes
Vancouver
Just put the entire machine up on Craigslist. I'm sure someone will pick it up. These seem like good machines to load up FreeNAS, UnRAID, Xpenelogy on and then use a custom NAS
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7497 posts
4124 upvotes
Debtario
Spinner wrote: PCI Radeon 9250? That thing is easily 15 years old.

You can hang on to the parts, but I doubt it's of any use. Most people buying a computer today for home or business don't want anything bigger than SFF.
Youd be surprised, COVID madness is still strong. I find some non-savvy folks are just looking at the price, the man buying my old laptop only wanted it because it was $150 instead of the $300 he saw in store... this was a core 2 duo 1.5ghz unit from 2007. He said he just needed it for email and browsing.

Someone bought my core 2 q9550 desktop for their kids online learning, and the man that got my q6600 seemed to be after the nostalgia.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5746 posts
5416 upvotes
Vancouver
M1K3Z0R wrote: Youd be surprised, COVID madness is still strong. I find some non-savvy folks are just looking at the price, the man buying my old laptop only wanted it because it was $150 instead of the $300 he saw in store... this was a core 2 duo 1.5ghz unit from 2007. He said he just needed it for email and browsing.

Someone bought my core 2 q9550 desktop for their kids online learning, and the man that got my q6600 seemed to be after the nostalgia.
I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Vancouver, $150 will get you an i5 with 8GB any day of the week from a generic computer store.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26045 posts
10728 upvotes
Socially Distanced
M1K3Z0R wrote: For reference, I sold a system with that same case/power supply (different front panel) and my old q9550 with 8GB ram for $160 earlier this year. Also sold a Q6600 machine for $100. Post it and someone may snatch it up, is all I'm saying.
Came here to say this, its probably still worth money.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13208 posts
4554 upvotes
The only useful salvageable part are the dvd drives.

The PSUs are just generic junk, not worth keeping.

Just donate it or give it for free.

Not worth the headache trying to sell it.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8430 posts
5309 upvotes
Mississauga
Put it on the curb the night before garbage day and it'll be gone before morning.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12489 posts
3207 upvotes
I would even trash the case. You're going to have to make a custom cover in the I/O if you want USB 3.0 or type C. Also I'm willing to bet you don't have a cover if you don't want the DVD drive.

Not only that but these cases were meant for more low end machines that do not need a bunch of air flow. No option for intake fans is going to be detrimental for anything you build in it.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26045 posts
10728 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I would figure out what processor is in it, check kijiji for prices then post it up.
Wiping the hard drive(s) in advance but reinstalling windows if there is a license key on it.

Pretty easy money
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: I would figure out what processor is in it, check kijiji for prices then post it up.
Wiping the hard drive(s) in advance but reinstalling windows if there is a license key on it.

Pretty easy money
OP said they took the HD for the magnets inside, so forget reinstalling Windows on it any time soon lol. Plus RAM is gone. These are curbside computers now.
Best magnets are from those older HDD's, I have a few kicking around still.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5317 posts
4018 upvotes
And the dvd burner/reader? Even if it's IDE you can get a convert to SATA for that.