Cell Phones

Any suggestion how to but a subsidized iPhone 12 without expensive plan?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 1:05 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 2, 2005
78 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga

Any suggestion how to but a subsidized iPhone 12 without expensive plan?

I have a legacy data plan but my iPhone 6S is struggling to hold charges. Is anyone have suggestion on how to get an iPhone 12 with low monthly service fee? I'm thinking of switching to use the iPhone 12 with the legacy data plan and let my old parent to use the new plan with his old phone. He seldom uses his phone though. Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19978 posts
9405 upvotes
Oakville
Just doing a quick search, looks like Virgin has the iPhone 12 for under $40 a month for the phone itself and $0 down, and $45 for a 4gb plan. That was the cheapest that I saw in a quick search, you could check yourself as well, there's only like 7 providers that offer "subsidized" phones any way.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1252 posts
1628 upvotes
Waterloo Region
wearysky wrote: Just doing a quick search, looks like Virgin has the iPhone 12 for under $40 a month for the phone itself and $0 down, and $45 for a 4gb plan. That was the cheapest that I saw in a quick search, you could check yourself as well, there's only like 7 providers that offer "subsidized" phones any way.
Why not buy directly from Apple and use whatever plan you like? It's $47/month without trade-in.
Though at these prices, you might as well wait a month for the 13.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19978 posts
9405 upvotes
Oakville
Gangsta101 wrote: Why not buy directly from Apple and use whatever plan you like? It's $47/month without trade-in.
Though at these prices, you might as well wait a month for the 13.
That's $349 more expensive than getting it through Virgin. BUT obviously it depends what the parent's phone plan is right now, and if they're paying for their own plan or if OP is, etc etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1252 posts
1628 upvotes
Waterloo Region
wearysky wrote: That's $349 more expensive than getting it through Virgin. BUT obviously it depends what the parent's phone plan is right now, and if they're paying for their own plan or if OP is, etc etc.
Yes it is and yes it does. But the point I am trying to make to OP is that
1. The option to finance the phone from Apple directly exists. It doesn't help that Apple offers next to no promos/discounts. Even their trade in discounts are peanuts compared to what you get from Samsung.
2. Getting the phone from Apple opens up new avenues for you. You lose the discount from carriers, but can get great plan combinations that make you come out on top. For example if I got the phone for $47/month from apple, and got the freedom mobile $99/year postpaid plan ( 8.25/month), I still have the Fido data only plan (not currently available to everyone) that I could use via the iphone's "internal WiFi-calling" feature to create seamless freedom mobile connection. My total would then be $65.25 before taxes. Way better than the $85 from Virgin mobile.

But if I was going to get this, I'd scour the net for a good trade-in phone to lower my overhead cost. And I'd do this when there's a promo. But I recognize that not everyone is ready to do this.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 2, 2005
78 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
wearysky wrote: Just doing a quick search, looks like Virgin has the iPhone 12 for under $40 a month for the phone itself and $0 down, and $45 for a 4gb plan. That was the cheapest that I saw in a quick search, you could check yourself as well, there's only like 7 providers that offer "subsidized" phones any way.
Thanks. Unfortunately, my parent only needs call and text and $40 a month will be too much.
Gangsta101 wrote:
Why not buy directly from Apple and use whatever plan you like? It's $47/month without trade-in.
Though at these prices, you might as well wait a month for the 13.
Good idea. Thanks.
Gangsta101 wrote: Yes it is and yes it does. But the point I am trying to make to OP is that
1. The option to finance the phone from Apple directly exists. It doesn't help that Apple offers next to no promos/discounts. Even their trade in discounts are peanuts compared to what you get from Samsung. ...
Thanks for the buyout option.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19978 posts
9405 upvotes
Oakville
ktyt wrote: Thanks. Unfortunately, my parent only needs call and text and $40 a month will be too much.
Yeah, in that case a subsidized phone from a carrier is out of the question. The only way you can do anything other than buy it outright is to finance with Apple directly.
Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2017
230 posts
216 upvotes
Koodo releases batches of Certified Pre-owned phones from time to time. They also offer a $25 talk and text plan once in a while if they need to match the competition. Occasionally the 2 offers collide like they did a couple weeks ago.

I don't see an iPhone 12, but if you're willing to go down a notch, there's a CPO iPhone 11 Pro. Like new, 64GB, $792. Plus the assortment of bonuses ($50 off your first bill) and fees ($5 for the SIM card). You'd have to crunch the numbers, but it might be a way to get a bit of a subsidy and only be committing to a $25 talk and text plan.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
19978 posts
9405 upvotes
Oakville
ddot98 wrote: Koodo releases batches of Certified Pre-owned phones from time to time. They also offer a $25 talk and text plan once in a while if they need to match the competition. Occasionally the 2 offers collide like they did a couple weeks ago.

I don't see an iPhone 12, but if you're willing to go down a notch, there's a CPO iPhone 11 Pro. Like new, 64GB, $792. Plus the assortment of bonuses ($50 off your first bill) and fees ($5 for the SIM card). You'd have to crunch the numbers, but it might be a way to get a bit of a subsidy and only be committing to a $25 talk and text plan.
Can you even get a basic tab with a $25 plan? I thought the minimum plan amount for basic tab was like $40-45
Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2017
230 posts
216 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Can you even get a basic tab with a $25 plan? I thought the minimum plan amount for basic tab was like $40-45
The $25 plan is a limited time promotion and it's listed as tab basic eligible. (But it keeps coming back. It'll probably disappear shortly and be back for Black Friday when things get more competitive again.) Koodo also likes to limit the tab bonus amounts for basic tabs on new phones, but offers the full amount for all tabs on CPO phones. If you can get by with just talk and text (or if you think you can convince retentions to give you a cheap or free data add on), the $25 plan with a CPO phone seems to be a reasonable option for a subsidized phone.
koodo.png
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 12, 2013
2323 posts
1152 upvotes
Moon
Switch to Lucky for a month then move on to Virgin mobile + their Migration plan, you can do the same with the other 2 as well.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer

Top