• Mar 3rd, 2018 12:54 pm
[OP]
Dec 5, 2011
172 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto

Any suggestions for used ski equipment?

Hi there,

My family and I are beginner skiers, and are just getting into the sport. Everyone tells us to get used equipment to save on the rental fees, which is a good idea. I found online there is a ski swap that happens once a year usually in the fall that is "THE" place to go for used equipment in the GTA. Any other suggestions if we are interested in buying now? I would guess "Play it Again Sports"? Since we are beginners, we'd like a place that would help fit us to the proper skis and boots that we would need (knowing next to nothing about the technical aspects of the equipment).

Thanks, any tips, suggestions or help would be appreciated.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1766 posts
804 upvotes
Ontario
Downhill or Cross Country? The rental fees can be steep and make you think the "latest" is the way to go, which is very expensive. On the other hand, the more you understand what you like, and the pros and cons of various types of equipment the better you are at buying the right used equipment. When I was learning downhill several years ago I was given a pair too short but they were safer for a learner. They made me understand that bindings can be moved easily, so I later bought a pristine pair dirt cheap and adjusted the bindings myself.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2011
172 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry I forgot to mention, Downhill.

Yes, there seems to be a lot to learn about the equipment. I was hoping for a store that sells used with some knowledge that can guide me. Hoping to do it sooner than wait till October for the SkiSwap.
Jan 15, 2010
183 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
We've taken our kids to Skiis & Biikes in Mississauga the past 3 years . They have a ski equipment exchange program called Kids Half Back.

http://i.skiisandbiikes.com/service/winter-service

Bear in mind, though, that if you buy something now, they may have a growth spurt over the summer.
I think they also sell used adult ski equipment but it would best to call or email them.
We've found the staff to be knowledgeable too. Hope this helps and happy skiing!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6611 posts
2245 upvotes
Caledon
broken1arrow wrote: We've taken our kids to Skiis & Biikes in Mississauga the past 3 years . They have a ski equipment exchange program called Kids Half Back.

http://i.skiisandbiikes.com/service/winter-service

Bear in mind, though, that if you buy something now, they may have a growth spurt over the summer.
I think they also sell used adult ski equipment but it would best to call or email them.
We've found the staff to be knowledgeable too. Hope this helps and happy skiing!
do you know any good boot fitter in the Mississauga location ?
Jan 15, 2010
183 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry, I don`t have any specific names for you; each year my kids need to be refitted and we`ve had no problems.
Just got an email this week that they are having a season ending sale.