Sports & Recreation

Any suggestions on where to buy weight plates from?

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 7:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2010
399 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto

Any suggestions on where to buy weight plates from?

I've pretty much bought a home gym yesterday (power cage, barbell, bench), but I'm not sure where to buy weights from, or what a good $/lb is.

Just looking for some advice. I bought my bench and rack from Walmart and my bar from Amazon, but the prices seem to vary widly for plates. I'm okay with just going second hand, but I just don't know what a good price point is.

I'm just getting back into things for now, so I'll just be starting with the 45lbs bar itself, but ideally I want 1 set of 45's, 1 set of 35's, 1 set of 25's, 1 set of 10's and 1 set of 5's. I'd also like a set of 2.5's but I've heard they're way harder to get and pricier.

Mods move this if it's the wrong section.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3093 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Advice #1: don't waste your time with 35lb plates

Advice #2: don't buy any plates for a while. the price is high and the availability is low due to covid. Once upon a time a good price was under $1/lb for plates and dumbells. Now it's close to $2/lb for plates and perhaps higher for dumbells. we're about turn a corner on the pandemic and gyms will become popular again (even though many people claim they will stick with their home gym). expect prices to drop in the next 6 months - 1 year.
Jun 28, 2018
324 posts
371 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
The market is getting over saturated at this point. People are still listing their rusty crap on classifieds and asking 2-3$/lb because that was the norm the past year but this stuff is not moving anymore. I just listed some of my plates and my ask is closer to $1.5 which is think is more realistic. Of course, bumpers, calibrated, or machined/milled plates are more cause they are more expensive but for basic cast iron I’m starting to see prices creep south of $2/lbs even new.

At $2.5/lbs you can get some high quality premium plates so don’t pay that much for rusty crap.

Edit: My plates sold in about 48 hours at around $1.5/lbs.

If you wanna buy new this is actually a good deal if you’re in the GTA and works out to about $1.77/lb

https://www.playitagainsports.com/produ ... 45-lb-each