None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4210 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto

Any TA's here that can book a cruise?

Am looking to book a Carnival cruise for Dec and when checking cruise compete, many TA's offer free OBC to book with them.

Rather than book with a US Travel Agent, was wondering if there are any TA's on RFD that can book this and match the offers?
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4210 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
akide wrote: www.crucon.com is pretty good US based though.
Thanks for the PM's and links...

There is no CDN TA that can match the offers that one can get from a US TA.

We used cruisecompete.com and got amazing offers of over $225 free OBC from the TA. Canadian TA, offer you nothing....
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
akide wrote: www.crucon.com is pretty good US based though.

Their prices are good..but they are a discount TA for a reason..their payment terms are much more strict than others/direct such as charging fees to change or cancel even if cruise line doesn't and well before final payment date

And their final payment dates are often much earlier than cruiselines and make changes not possible even with fee

Not saying they are bad..just beware of their differences to other TAs or cruise lines
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1666 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
cessnabmw wrote: Thanks for the PM's and links...

There is no CDN TA that can match the offers that one can get from a US TA.

We used cruisecompete.com and got amazing offers of over $225 free OBC from the TA. Canadian TA, offer you nothing....
You will generally not get the same obc/perks from Canadian TAs (from my experience), but if you are looking to avoid the exchange rate, the total over all price is all that matters in the end. Using the agent from Toronto which I already pmed to you (thanks Landking), I was not offered any obc as compared to the best offer on cruisecompete, but taking the exchange rate into account, I still came out a few hundred ahead.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4210 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
lor74 wrote: You will generally not get the same obc/perks from Canadian TAs (from my experience), but if you are looking to avoid the exchange rate, the total over all price is all that matters in the end. Using the agent from Toronto which I already pmed to you (thanks Landking), I was not offered any obc as compared to the best offer on cruisecompete, but taking the exchange rate into account, I still came out a few hundred ahead.
How would the exchange rate be better and save hundreds? All cruises are priced in USD. I would pay with my MC that converts the rate....

Even the TA's that PM'ed me (Canadian ones) all quoted just in USD....

I have tried really hard to give the business to a Canadian TA, but they are way far off the quotes.

Here is the scenario.

Carnival price is $2700 USD plus $100 OBC from them.

US TA - Price is $2700, $100 Carnival OBC, AND they are giving me another $225 OBC (all in USD). Net price is $2375 USD

CDN TA - (The one that you sent me) - Price is $2700, $100 Carnival OBC (all in USD). That's it. Net price is $2600 USD. This is the same price as Carnival... Why would I not just book directly with them then?

Another CDN TA that send me a PM directly. Price is $2700, $100 Carnival OBC (all in USD) AND $40 CDN (Timmy/Visa/Walmart GC). Net price is $2560 USD (approx - since $40 GC is in CDN).

What would you do????
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cessnabmw wrote: How would the exchange rate be better and save hundreds? All cruises are priced in USD. I would pay with my MC that converts the rate....

Even the TA's that PM'ed me (Canadian ones) all quoted just in USD....

I have tried really hard to give the business to a Canadian TA, but they are way far off the quotes.

Here is the scenario.

Carnival price is $2700 USD plus $100 OBC from them.

US TA - Price is $2700, $100 Carnival OBC, AND they are giving me another $225 OBC (all in USD). Net price is $2375 USD

CDN TA - (The one that you sent me) - Price is $2700, $100 Carnival OBC (all in USD). That's it. Net price is $2600 USD. This is the same price as Carnival... Why would I not just book directly with them then?

Another CDN TA that send me a PM directly. Price is $2700, $100 Carnival OBC (all in USD) AND $40 CDN (Timmy/Visa/Walmart GC). Net price is $2560 USD (approx - since $40 GC is in CDN).

What would you do????

Problem is you are going on carnvial..they don't offer much incentives to begin with and they dont offer CDN rates for CDN agents unlike RCI/celebrity/Norwegian/any other cruise line

For carnival, there is very little discounts/difference booking direct or with agent (us or CDN) ... You are much better off booking direct for carnival, often they have free upgrades within same cabin category for booking direct

If you are booking with an agent ..make sure you can cancel /change without any fees and payment schedule is same as booking direct
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4210 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
LandKing wrote: Problem is you are going on carnvial..they don't offer much incentives to begin with and they dont offer CDN rates for CDN agents unlike RCI/celebrity/Norwegian/any other cruise line

For carnival, there is very little discounts/difference booking direct or with agent (us or CDN) ... You are much better off booking direct for carnival, often they have free upgrades within same cabin category for booking direct

If you are booking with an agent ..make sure you can cancel /change without any fees and payment schedule is same as booking direct
I don't agree.

How can a US TA give me $225 OBC for a cruise, when a Canadian TA at most can do $40 GC? That's a perk for me....
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cessnabmw wrote: I don't agree.

How can a US TA give me $225 OBC for a cruise, when a Canadian TA at most can do $40 GC? That's a perk for me....
? What's there to agree or disagree with?

How can Canadian agents give much better rates on cruises compared to US agents on other cruises or cruise lines?

Its just the way the cruise lines operate and price their product

I don't know what you're trying to say or ask...if its cheaper to book carnival with US TAs ..then do it...just as when its much cheaper to book with Canadian TAs for celebrity/RCI/Norwegian etc just book it...is there a need to go ask on US forums why?
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If the TA is giving you $225 OBC over and above what Carnival is giving, they're probably taking it out of their commission.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BaconBaron wrote: If the TA is giving you $225 OBC over and above what Carnival is giving, they're probably taking it out of their commission.
Carnival has restrictions on what TA can give clients.. With limit on what and value of the items..this is to ensure more book direct with carnival.. Esp with free upgrades within same category when booking direct
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1666 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
As Landking stated, the different cruise lines have different policies. It is unfortunate if you cannot get a quote in Canadian funds. In my case with Princess, you are able to book in Can$ directly from their website or via local agents.

Just take whatever deal works out cheapest for you. And listen to the advice about checking in advance when the final payment is due and if you can cancel without penalty before hand and if you get money back should the price drop before the final payment.