Food & Drink

Any of these additives in Canadian bread?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 8:04 pm
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2675 posts
631 upvotes
Whitby
Stopped reading here: "It may sound odd, but in America, your loaf of bread can contain ingredients with industrial applications – additives that also appear in things like yoga mats, pesticides, hair straighteners, explosives and petroleum products."

Ooooo scary chemical names that can be used for other things as well as food.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5641 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Long list including
Azodicarbonamide (ACA) - whch breaks, when heated, down into urethane
Potassium bromate (fortunately increasingly being replaced with Ascorbic acid a.k.a. vitamin C)
BHA and BHT

I worry about processed foods, as there are some potentially/possibly dangerous ingredients that don't even have to be listed.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36046 posts
10144 upvotes
Ottawa
Lets not get too worked up about "our loaf of bread can contain ingredients with industrial applications". There are many chemials, derivitives and ingredients that are used in food and industrial products.
Seaweed for instance http://www.seaweed.ie/uses_general/
or plasticizers, "A sample of 72 commonly consumed foods including pizza, meats and beverages from supermarkets in Albany, N.Y., were purchased and tested for the presence of phthalates. Researchers detected some level of phthalate in every food product they sampled, Schecter said." https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 124701.htm

Point is there are thousands (if not millions) of chemicals that are in all or products, whether in the product naturally or broken down while cooking or during processing.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
The Europeans are always ahead of North America for food laws. If they banned a chemical then I would try to avoid it for foods in north America.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5641 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Thanks for the link. I see ACA is permitted in Canada but it looks like Potassium bromate has been banned (not certain but something immediately before Potassium iodate was removed from the list).

I'll stay with making my own bread.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13398 posts
2274 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Remember when Subway was on the news for having a yoga mat ingredient in their bread?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5641 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Becks wrote: Remember when Subway was on the news for having a yoga mat ingredient in their bread?
That's probably ACA.