Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
83 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor

Any thoughts on this interview ?

I had this interview for an Ontario Public Service position and I feel a little weird about how it all went. Basially, the whole thing lasted 45 minutes, and in the interview, they jsut had a list of 8 questions they asked. There were two interviewers, one of them seemed really friendly and I even got into a discussion about hockey with him during the interview. This same interviewer also seemed to go into a great amount of detail about the kind of work they did, and I am told that is generally a positive sign (and given it is government, who have no interest in promoting themselves, it is more significant). With regards to questions, I guess I did OK on them, but I could tell they were put off because of one technique I didnt have experience with (I did have experience with everything else though).

The second interviewer really worried me though. She seemed to be frowning the moment she came in, and it seemed like they dragged her into the interview. Throughout the entire thing, she never asked me a single question and just kept looking at the floor. All she did was take me on a tour of the place. Also, at the end, I said something along the lines of " I hope I get a chance to work with you guys". That little line seemed to make both of the interviewers really awkward. They didnt say anything in response, and the guy just said I would know in a 2-3 weeks.

So from all these, is there a general feeling that the interview was overall a positive one for me ? I have a gut feeling that it didnt go well, but I would like to hear other's thoughts on it.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
Who are the interviewer? Manager and co-worker? Manager and HR?

Showing you around the office is a good sign.
Feb 11, 2009
984 posts
239 upvotes
I wouldn't read too much into anything.

If they are nice to you, they are nice to the other candidates. If they are cold, they are probably cold to the other candidates.

I had an interview which I thought went great, then got terrible feedback.
Oct 13, 2008
425 posts
96 upvotes
Interviewers are people too.
With constant schedule of interviews sometimes they are less motivated to participate than usual.
I shoudnt worry about the second interviewer, as long as you felt like you did a great job selling yourself the outcome might be greatly reflected on that sole reason.

Good luck tho
Government job is a keeper.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9278 posts
1401 upvotes
At this day and age, I wouldn't think it's anything at all until I get an email or phone call or a offer letter. You didn't get it until you actually get it.

Read the thread of the guy who think he nailed it, only to find out the position has been posted again. I think it's a recent thread.

Also, as someone who was interviewing for the company. We show the candidate around all the time, even if they are going to be hired or not. So what's the OP's point?
Feb 18, 2012
452 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
I had the same experience with my interview with the federal government.

There were basically five questions, and I answered four of them extremely well. The interviewers actually told me that they were pleasantly surprised by the quality of my answers. I was not able to answer one technical question, however, and I could just sense their disappointment at that point.

I DID made it into the pool after the interview, but needless to say I was not ranked high enough to be offered a position by a hiring department.

I am not trying to discourage you, but the one question that you did not answer well could be your undoing. If you end up not getting the job, just apply to the same position next year with the exact same resume. You are bound to get called in again, believe me.

And I wouldn't mind the other interviewer who were pissed from the beginning!
May 2, 2009
40 posts
2 upvotes
I wouldn`t read too much into the fact that they did not give you a response at the end.

I had a similar experience with the federal government. I applied for the FORD/IARD program with the federal government in September and I felt my first interview went very poorly. I was interviewed by two interviewers as well. One was from Treasury and the other was from one of the hiring departments that hire FORDs. They also went through a list of questions but there were only 5 as opposed to 8 and I was told that the interview would be only be judged on my responses to the questions. The program is designed for new grads but they asked me a few questions I felt were too technical and I felt my answers to these questions were not up to par. However, I ended up getting a second interview and eventually a job offer and the department that made the offer was the one that sent a representative to the first interview.

My advice is to not over think things since you don't know how they were grading the interview and what responses the other candidates gave.

Good Luck
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5249 posts
997 upvotes
Toronto
Yes it's really hard to determine the outcome of interviews until they get back to you.
I had one where I thought I nailed it since I felt I was really on top of my game, we got into a discussion, and she even showed me classified documents but I didn't get the job.
Another interview which I thought I wouldn't be moved forward since I felt I came off as overqualified and was told that my salary expectation were too high but was then contacted for a second interview.

I think it really depends on the other candidates. You could be awesome, but if there are others who appeared better than you, you will be out of contention. Meanwhile if you think you didn't do that good, but your competition was even worse, you may still be taken to the next stage(s) of the hiring process.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
83 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor
glover78 wrote: Yes it's really hard to determine the outcome of interviews until they get back to you.
I had one where I thought I nailed it since I felt I was really on top of my game, we got into a discussion, and she even showed me classified documents but I didn't get the job.
Another interview which I thought I wouldn't be moved forward since I felt I came off as overqualified and was told that my salary expectation were too high but was then contacted for a second interview.

I think it really depends on the other candidates. You could be awesome, but if there are others who appeared better than you, you will be out of contention. Meanwhile if you think you didn't do that good, but your competition was even worse, you may still be taken to the next stage(s) of the hiring process.
I guess you are quite correct in that observation. I also had an interview a while back that I though I nailed, but they chose someone else. But, one thing I did notice in that interview was that one of the people who interviewed me had the same sort of demeanor as that other cold interviewer I got more recently. I was worried that for the more recent interview, it might be a sign they have already come to some sort of decision about me (because they found someone already presumably).